LadyDay

So scared of the future

Maybe you will join many of us in the polar club.  I went from keeping our bedroom at 47 to putting on a sweatshirt if the temperatures drop below 80.  I use my car seat heater in the summer, lol!  Hubby and I got into a thermostat war Sunday in the car.  I had my side at 78, he kept lowering his, got down to 66, lol!  I used to hate heat, now I embrace it!

7 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Maybe you will join many of us in the polar club.  I went from keeping our bedroom at 47 to putting on a sweatshirt if the temperatures drop below 80.  I use my car seat heater in the summer, lol!  Hubby and I got into a thermostat war Sunday in the car.  I had my side at 78, he kept lowering his, got down to 66, lol!  I used to hate heat, now I embrace it!

Haha. Poor melting husband!

I might have to move to a warmer country! 

10 hours ago, LadyDay said:

I might have to move to a warmer country!

I live in the Middle East and I'm currently wearing a (lightweight) merino sweater in my house :lol: I have a puffy down jacket in my office for those overly-cold-AC days. 

6 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I live in the Middle East and I'm currently wearing a (lightweight) merino sweater in my house :lol: I have a puffy down jacket in my office for those overly-cold-AC days. 

So, you sit in your office, in the blistering hot Middle East, in a down jacket, because of the AC? Yikes! My boyfriend and I go on a yearly New Year visit with some friends to their cabin by the polar circle. I won't be able to leave the sauna while up there in the Arctic winter!!! :D 

On 9/24/2019 at 11:51 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

LadyDay, my sleep apnea is gone. Gone. I no longer wake up with a racing heart, no longer am tired during the day, and my wife no longer is frightened by me failing to breathe during the night. 

If I snore now it is usually because I indulged in some grape-derived beverage, often Burgundy colored, after dinner. :rolleyes:

I'm late to the party, but wanted to chime in - my sleep apnea is also gone since surgery!  It's such a huge relief to be able to just go to sleep without all the tubes and masks and whatnot. Just being able to nap on the sofa if I feel like it is lovely.  :)

On 10/2/2019 at 12:11 AM, LadyDay said:

I was just wondering about something you can probably answer by the way. After surgery, do you eventually become able to drink at a normal pace again? Or is it only small sips for life?

I think it varies from person to person.  I had RNY 2 years ago, and I've been able to drink normally since about 5 months after surgery.  I can chug water like a pro now.

On the other hand, I have a friend who had RNY 10 years ago who has to sip sip sip to this day. 

1 minute ago, Kio said:

I think it varies from person to person.  I had RNY 2 years ago, and I've been able to drink normally since about 5 months after surgery.  I can chug water like a pro now.

On the other hand, I have a friend who had RNY 10 years ago who has to sip sip sip to this day. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed. A side effect of one of my medications is that I sweat a lot from any sort of physical activity (even a short, calm walk - lovely side effect :mad:), so I need a bit extra to keep hydrated, so eventually being able to down a glass of water would be nice.

13 minutes ago, Kio said:

I'm late to the party, but wanted to chime in - my sleep apnea is also gone since surgery!  It's such a huge relief to be able to just go to sleep without all the tubes and masks and whatnot. Just being able to nap on the sofa if I feel like it is lovely.  :)

This is really good to know, in case I turn out to have it to some extend! I get the result of my test tomorrow and am a little nervous. I'd rather not have to sleep with a mask forcing air down my windpipe! 

Good news. I don't have sleep apnea. The bad news is I don't even have a tiny bit of sleep apnea to guarantee me an operation. I'm desperate enough to have hoped for a little bit, as crazy as that is. Hopefully I qualify for surgery anyway. I need it.

9 hours ago, LadyDay said:

Good news. I don't have sleep apnea. The bad news is I don't even have a tiny bit of sleep apnea to guarantee me an operation. I'm desperate enough to have hoped for a little bit, as crazy as that is. Hopefully I qualify for surgery anyway. I need it.

Well, um, congratulations and too bad. Be sure to get those orthopedic issues documented (you described those earlier) along with any family diseases like diabetes, hypertension, heart or kidney disease that you may be prone to acquiring. 

On 10/9/2019 at 8:51 PM, LadyDay said:

So, you sit in your office, in the blistering hot Middle East, in a down jacket, because of the AC? Yikes! My boyfriend and I go on a yearly New Year visit with some friends to their cabin by the polar circle. I won't be able to leave the sauna while up there in the Arctic winter!!! :D 

It's blistering hot outside, but for some reason inside spaces are usually very cold, like 65F (17C) sometimes in my office.

I would imagine I might not want to leave the sauna if I were up by the arctic circle!

One awesome effect of lots of weight loss: my feet never hurt anymore. I can stand all day and feel comfortable. I can wear heels and feel comfortable. I can wear totally non-sensible shoes and have comfortable feet. It's great! :) 

Congrats and also sorry on the sleep apnea non-diagnosis. I hope through the various other factors you will be approved for surgery - it's a sad thing to have to hope for health problem so you can get approval :( 

Edited by Jen581791

On 10/12/2019 at 7:56 AM, Jen581791 said:

It's blistering hot outside, but for some reason inside spaces are usually very cold, like 65F (17C) sometimes in my office.

I would imagine I might not want to leave the sauna if I were up by the arctic circle!

One awesome effect of lots of weight loss: my feet never hurt anymore. I can stand all day and feel comfortable. I can wear heels and feel comfortable. I can wear totally non-sensible shoes and have comfortable feet. It's great! :) 

Congrats and also sorry on the sleep apnea non-diagnosis. I hope through the various other factors you will be approved for surgery - it's a sad thing to have to hope for health problem so you can get approval :( 

Wow, yeah, that is pretty cold indoor temperatures. 

Being able to stand and walk for extended periods without pain, even in non-sensible footwear, will be great! And being able to move about better in general. I look up to you for your running. I have a small dream of being able to run someday. Not marathons, but just being able to go for a jog. I think that's a good goal to have. 

Yeah, it feels weird and wrong to kinda ant a bit of illness, something that would go away with surgery and would guarantee the surgery in the first place. I just really, really ant this surgery so bad. I need this tool to help get my present and future health and life under control, on a lasting basis. Fortunately there's still a decent chance that I'll get approved I think, due to my weight exacerbating my mental health problems significantly and my BMI being over 40. So fingers crossed. 

Thank you for the support. This forum has really helped me sort things out. 

On 10/13/2019 at 3:13 PM, LadyDay said:

I think that's a good goal to have. 

Any movement you can incorporate into your life as an enjoyable part of your routine is good. And while running absolutely sucks when you're heavy (believe me, I know), it's actually fun when you're lighter! You don't have to run marathons, though, unless you're a bit crazy and/or addicted to running. You can be extremely fit doing just a short run a few days a week. 

4 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Any movement you can incorporate into your life as an enjoyable part of your routine is good. And while running absolutely sucks when you're heavy (believe me, I know), it's actually fun when you're lighter! You don't have to run marathons, though, unless you're a bit crazy and/or addicted to running. You can be extremely fit doing just a short run a few days a week. 

That is my plan. To keep incorporating exercise in a way I actually enjoy. The exercise I'm currently getting is walking. And I am making progress. Thanks to getting out every day, I am able to walk further before the pain really sets in (back, knees and calves). I can gradually increase both speed/intensity and distance. Eventually, with less weight to carry around, I figure that can turn into short intervals of jogging, then longer. The sky is the limit. I want to bike too, once I move outside the city center. I take medicine that slows my reaction speed and makes it hard to keep an overview over multiple things at once, so I don't want to bike downtown! I like outdoor exercise. I can build these things up gradually, especially once I lose some of all this weight. But I've already started!

I'd like to get addicted to exercise too!