Nana Trish

I love fall

I love the fall weather! I love being able to wear hoodies again, and my beloved leg warmers (hehe). Along with that comes our Halloween decorations and the 400+ trick or treaters we get each year! 

This summer did not go as planned, of course. I had visions of walking 3 miles a day by the end of summer, being able to do stairs without thinking about it, and spending my days outside playing with Harper when I babysit for him. As you all know, I spent a great deal of the spring season recovering from my knee replacements, as well as my hernia surgery and spent much of the time quite ill, in the hospital, and losing too much weight.

I’ve finally been able to gain some back, and have gotten my strength back, which is great! But my visions of walking that much every day kind of faded into the background. Hubby wasn’t even able to go fishing for the first time this year until a few weeks ago because things have been so hectic. 

On our last fishing trip, which was last week, we went to a gorgeous place that my father used to take me camping every summer as a kid. The only camping spot open (we didn’t camp, just stayed for the day) was one that we had to hike downhill to get to, and I almost told him NO WAY after I looked down the hill. But I thought to myself...if I don’t try it, I’ll never know if I can do it or not. So I tried it. And I did it! And not only did I DO IT, but on the way back up the trail, I carried 3 collapsible chairs, a cooler bag and my purse! 

I think hubby was pretty amazed...and to be honest, so was I!! Since then, I have been taking about a mile and a half walks a couple of times a week. So I’m definitely getting there. It may not be what I had planned, but I’m still out there doing it! 

I’m not sure if the picture does it justice or not, but I’ll post a pic below of the trail I hiked :) 

F1967AC9-9FD2-466B-BB9C-C4CA8D5BE7D8.jpeg

I hereby title your memoir: Trish Goes for a Hike. A tale of hardships overcome and setbacks reversed. Coming to bookstores near you.

Congrats! Never thought you'd see the day, I bet. Enjoy the nature. May you walk many forest paths in the future.

Major accomplishment!  I remember when doing your driveway was hard work.  It’s not always the marathons (those are wonderful-if you can do it!) but the smaller things that mean the most!  When hubby dives on Lake Superior, there’s a hill that looks like that; mind you he carries his tanks-but I used to use the outhouse before going down because it took me 3 or 4 rests coming back up.  Now I come and go up it as I please several times a day and carry stuff.  It’s a great feeling.  I’m thinking a 3 mile walk would be too much for me, but over the course of the day I can get 4 miles in as I average 10,000-11,000 steps a day.  Step by step..

Just remember how far you have come!  You no longer use a walker, your boundaries have expanded past the mailbox,  and you no longer use Trish steps :)

On 9/21/2019 at 11:24 AM, Jen581791 said:

I hereby title your memoir: Trish Goes for a Hike. A tale of hardships overcome and setbacks reversed. Coming to bookstores near you.

Congrats! Never thought you'd see the day, I bet. Enjoy the nature. May you walk many forest paths in the future.

I like it, Jen!! If I ever write a book, that shall be the title :) 

No, I never thought I’d see the day. Even the day I did it, I didn’t think it was going to happen! 

I have spent the last few weekends getting caught up on my yard, because it had gotten lost in the shuffle over the summer. I’ve been cutting down bushes, we cut two apple trees down that weren’t doing well, and I’ve been a weed whacking maniac. I wouldn’t have been able to do any of these things pre WLS, or pre knee replacements. I might not be exactly where I want to be yet, but I’m certainly leaps and bounds ahead of where I’ve been for the last 20 years!

3 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Major accomplishment!  I remember when doing your driveway was hard work.  It’s not always the marathons (those are wonderful-if you can do it!) but the smaller things that mean the most!  When hubby dives on Lake Superior, there’s a hill that looks like that; mind you he carries his tanks-but I used to use the outhouse before going down because it took me 3 or 4 rests coming back up.  Now I come and go up it as I please several times a day and carry stuff.  It’s a great feeling.  I’m thinking a 3 mile walk would be too much for me, but over the course of the day I can get 4 miles in as I average 10,000-11,000 steps a day.  Step by step..

Just remember how far you have come!  You no longer use a walker, your boundaries have expanded past the mailbox,  and you no longer use Trish steps :)

Thank you, @Cheesehead!!

I think it was a pretty major accomplishment too :) and I’m proud of myself for it! It’s such a weird feeling though...looking down that hill/path, and having no body memories of ever doing it before (even though I walked that hill hundreds of times growing up)...and my brain actually made me question whether I could do it or not. I think the brain change is going to take a lot longer than the physical changes. It’s kind of like body dysmorphia of the mind if that makes sense? But regardless, I did it!!

I don’t know why I had the 3 mile distance in my head, but I guess that was how far I used to walk many years ago and it was a good distance. Of course now, being older and having had the knees done, and still suffering with back problems, it may be too much for me too. I probably won’t find that out until next summer. But I have the recumbent bike that I’m going to start using this week, so who knows? Lol :) 

And yes, I no longer use Trish steps!!!

@Nana Trish

Uplifting and a bit, well, poetic. So much of the beauty in life is being in the place, and in the doing. 

@BurgundyBoy...so very true! 

Even though I knew my quality of life was poor prior to my WLS, I didn’t realize how much I was truly missing out on. I hadn’t even been to this place in over 23 years, and had forgotten just how tranquil it is. But being able to walk down (and back up!) that unsteady, rocky, steep(ish) hill was amazing!