Jen581791

My first race!

I've been a little quiet lately, visiting a couple of times a week rather than a couple of times a day ;) so here's a little bit about what I've been up to. 

Over the summer I was marathon training. I was running a lot. I gave myself an overuse injury in my knee tendon and had to sit out the marathon (after doing all the training! :( ). I gave it a bit of rest and have been back at it for a few weeks now.

The overuse pain has completely gone away (thank goodness) and I'm in training for a 50km/31mi ultra trail marathon with 2300m/7500ft elevation gain. Whew. That's coming in November so training is at a fever pitch at the moment. Good thing I like it.

My weight has drifted up a few pounds over the summer, probably some muscle, but also I'm trying to make sure I get enough fuel for running (I'm running about 50km/30mi per week). It's just a few pounds and I'm still waking up hungry in the middle of the night after runs, so I think I'm doing the right thing. My running is going pretty well, and my clothes aren't tight or anything, so I think I'm OK. I think I look better than I did six months ago. Leaner in most respects, bigger muscles.

I have to be pretty careful about how I fuel myself - I need some carbs for fuel, but can't eat bread/pasta/rice or much sugar. There goes the normal marathon training diet right out the window. I'm making do with other things, though, and I seem to be doing fine. 

All of this is to say: Holy cow!!! I can't believe how much my life has changed in the past three years!!! I went from desperate feeling because I was so depressed about my weight and health and not being able to be active to now being one of the fittest people I know. I'm running together with other runners and not embarrassed by my performance. I'm frequently told how fit I look. I actually look forward to running. My idea of a fun weekend activity is running in the mountains for four hours :lol: 

Here's a photo of me at my very first race ever a couple of weeks ago. 10k trail run at about 2200m/7200ft. I got a lovely medal and t-shirt, and came in 7th among women (out of about 25) and 36th overall (out of about 100). Not too shabby. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 3.29.25 PM.png

Edited by Jen581791
ultra train marathon? no, definitely an ultra traiL marathon

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!! @Jen581791, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!  What an inspiration to others! Your post just made my day. I love that you shared this news with us! So glad to hear that you've been able to work past your injury and that you are starting to reap the rewards of your new-found sport! SOOOOO COOOOOOL! I'm  so happy for you that I'm just busting! 

Your picture of your 10K race is fantastic. You do look extremely fit! And extremely happy! Isn't it wonderful to celebrate a well-working body in such a fun, rewarding way! I also love the shift that you've accomplished from weight-loss to fitness. It sounds like food really is fuel for you and you're figuring out how to fuel that happy body the best way possible. I'm glad to hear you're not obsessing over the slight change in the scale. With all you're doing it has to be muscle. And your clothes tell the true story. I bet your % body fat is at an all time low! 

Please keep us updated in your training!! 

(PS - Don't you just love the Osprey water bladder hydrapack technology? I used one in an Osprey backpack on our hike and it's the perfect WLS tool with water always available for "sip, sip, sip"! So much better than a water bottle!) 

@Jen581791 Congratulations!!! What a fantastic achievement!!! You really are an inspiration. You look fantastic in your first race and I do not see how you could look any fitter. Thank you so much for sharing your good news. Would you mind telling us what did you change in your diet to get enough calories for training?

Wow. Great job. You are a major inspiration to us all. :)

Wow, you are so cool! 

It must be wonderful to feel what a lighter, fitter body can do!

On 9/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, Jen581791 said:

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 3.29.25 PM.png

Wow! Talk about a life change! And your radiant smile speaks volumes!

Wow, Jen!! You continue to amaze me with each post like this! You do look extremely fit, not to mention happy!! So glad your injury healed up and you are able to run again!! Yay you ❤️❤️❤️

On 9/19/2019 at 6:07 PM, Cindy Lou Who said:

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!! @Jen581791, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!  What an inspiration to others! Your post just made my day.

Thank you!!! 

I am really learning to love what my body can do now :) Yesterday it carried me over a half marathon's worth of hills and mountains (13+ miles/22.1km). So much fun to see what I can do when I work hard. 

The hydration vests are so great. They make 4 hours of running possible! :lol:

On 9/19/2019 at 8:14 PM, BrightDay said:

Would you mind telling us what did you change in your diet to get enough calories for training?

Good question! When I hit GW, I was eating only around 1000-1200 calories per day :o My big change has been to just increase the number of small meals I eat. I eat 200-300 calorie or so "meals" (snacks for everyone else in the world) about 8 times per day. I eat a lot of protein, but have upped my carb intake (some whole grains, some fruit, nuts, seeds, dairy) as well. I can afford to splurge on treats more often now, but still don't do that a lot. I pack my lunch for work in the morning with about 4-6 tiny tupperware containers, plus a shake and usually a bar. It's a fair amount of food prep, but it's necessary. 

While I'm doing a long run (20+km/12+mi), I eat dates. I've also had some GU packets (basically carbs/salts/amino acids/caffeine in a pouch) on a few runs. I think my body is just burning so much fuel it doesn't mind if some of it is just straight up sugar. That won't last beyond my intense training period, though. I wouldn't normally burn an extra 1600 calories from running if I weren't doing this!

22 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

So glad your injury healed up and you are able to run again!!

Thanks! Me too! Fortunately it's holding up really well. I'm trying not to abuse it. I have a fancy new running watch that tells me if it thinks I'm overtraining, so that's helpful.

You look amazing!  Healthy and so happy!  You go girl!  And keep us posted on your achievements!