HopeVa

69 to old for GASTRIC BYPASS?

Looking around this site tonight is making  me question starting the process of surgery. Noticing everyone's age is making me look really old!! lol 

Please tell me there are others out there my age that are considering a gastric bypass????

Thank you

Hope

I was in one of the classes pre op with a woman in her 70s.  You are never too old to get healthy and feel better.

9 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I was in one of the classes pre op with a woman in her 70s.  You are never too old to get healthy and feel better.

Thank you Tracy!! Just starting the process....

Welcome to Thinner Times Hope!

I didn't set out to have bariatric surgery.  I was referred to a surgeon about a large umbilical hernia which was causing a lot of discomfort.  He said I needed surgery but unless I lost weight and kept it off, the mesh patch wasn't likely to hold.  I told him that I had a 30+ year documented history of yoyo dieting, only to end up heavier each time and didn't remember a time when I wasn't obese/morbidly obese.  He asked if I had considered bariatric surgery.  I was 52. :blink:

I had zero idea of what was involved but agreed to go on the bariatric programme and it didn't take but one session to make me realise that a RNY was probably my last hope.

So!  Here I am - just a few days away from my 12th anniversary.  I've stuck with the programme, kept up with exercising and as of today, I'm holding at 120-125lb.  I have zero morbidities and take no prescribed medications - acetaminophen occasionally for a touch of arthritis.

If I had to do it all again tomorrow, I'd be skipping into theatre because WLS has given me a truly amazing life.

55 minutes ago, Eseret said:

You're never too old to make the rest of your life the best of your life!

(Another of the Fabled Gym Rats! :wub: )

14 hours ago, HopeVa said:

Looking around this site tonight is making  me question starting the process of surgery. Noticing everyone's age is making me look really old!! lol 

Please tell me there are others out there my age that are considering a gastric bypass????

Thank you

Hope

Nah. Not too old. 69 is the new 29, right?

For what it is worth, I had my surgery near my 62nd birthday. When I enter my health information into online calculators, I now have an average lifespan of 94. It was less than 75 in the past when I had to include my higher former weight, hypertension, sleep apnea, "borderline" diabetes... I essentially doubled my expected remaining years by having surgery. 

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times Hope!

I didn't set out to have bariatric surgery.  I was referred to a surgeon about a large umbilical hernia which was causing a lot of discomfort.  He said I needed surgery but unless I lost weight and kept it off, the mesh patch wasn't likely to hold.  I told him that I had a 30+ year documented history of yoyo dieting, only to end up heavier each time and didn't remember a time when I wasn't obese/morbidly obese.  He asked if I had considered bariatric surgery.  I was 52. :blink:

I had zero idea of what was involved but agreed to go on the bariatric programme and it didn't take but one session to make me realise that a RNY was probably my last hope.

So!  Here I am - just a few days away from my 12th anniversary.  I've stuck with the programme, kept up with exercising and as of today, I'm holding at 120-125lb.  I have zero morbidities and take no prescribed medications - acetaminophen occasionally for a touch of arthritis.

If I had to do it all again tomorrow, I'd be skipping into theatre because WLS has given me a truly amazing life.

CINWA Thank you so much for your short bio! I also had a herina fixed when I was 52.. so wish I had of done a bypass but in my 50s I lost 180 pounds and never dreamed I would in less than a year be right back to square one!!!!! So so many pounds lost time and time again! I have been lucky that I have had no problems with the mesh, my sister inlaw has had a horrible time with it....

Sounds like you did the right thing doing surgery..... 12 years and keeping it OFF! wonderful!!!  I am just in the first days of this process and will see where it leads..... Thanks for the inspiring words....

11 minutes ago, HopeVa said:

........... I lost 180 pounds and never dreamed I would in less than a year be right back to square one!!!!! So so many pounds lost time and time again! .............

I could have made a career out of yoyo-ing diets.

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Nah. Not too old. 69 is the new 29, right?

For what it is worth, I had my surgery near my 62nd birthday. When I enter my health information into online calculators, I now have an average lifespan of 94. It was less than 75 in the past when I had to include my higher former weight, hypertension, sleep apnea, "borderline" diabetes... I essentially doubled my expected remaining years by having surgery. 

29 huh!!!!  lol  oh gosh I would have to add AFib into all the other ailments!! Im not sure I want to calculate my lifespan at the moment!!! but thanks for the encouraging words!!!!

3 hours ago, Eseret said:

You're never too old to make the rest of your life the best of your life!

Great words Eseret!!!!  Thank you!!

I was a youngster when I had mine at the age of 51; 6+ years ago.  There’s never too old. One of my doctors told me after the fact that I probably wouldn’t have lived another 5 years-gee thanks!

as long as you are committed to getting healthy and staying healthy, the sky is the limit! 

32 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I was a youngster when I had mine at the age of 51; 6+ years ago.  There’s never too old. One of my doctors told me after the fact that I probably wouldn’t have lived another 5 years-gee thanks!

as long as you are committed to getting healthy and staying healthy, the sky is the limit! 

Cheesehead thanks for your insight!! So wish I had of done it 10 years ago!!

On 9/6/2019 at 7:10 PM, HopeVa said:

Cheesehead thanks for your insight!! So wish I had of done it 10 years ago!!

I think we all wish we had done it sooner!  I’m off on a 2 week scuba diving trip in 5 weeks (we do 2 week diving trips each year; hubby is a scuba instructor and dives year around.)  I used to sit on the beach and read.  I’m terrified of the water but always said if I got healthy I’d learn to dive; it was a great excuse.  Well, I ditched the high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol..and he started pestering me to get certified.  It’s something I couldn’t have done before but I actually love diving in the Caribbean and kick myself for sitting on the beach.  I have a granddaughter to be born in a week and a half; with any luck I’ll be able to see her grow up.  (I’m able to go camping, play in the park going up and down slides, and go sledding with our 4 older grandkids-something I didn’t do much of with my kids because my weight hindered me)

then there is the simpler things like bending over to tie your shoes,  having room between your belly and the steering wheel, being able to walk up stairs without gasping for air, crossing your legs, getting up off the floor without a crane, buying clothes in the normal person section of the store, just the normal everyday things;);)

4 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I think we all wish we had done it sooner!  I’m off on a 2 week scuba diving trip in 5 weeks (we do 2 week diving trips each year; hubby is a scuba instructor and dives year around.)  I used to sit on the beach and read.  I’m terrified of the water but always said if I got healthy I’d learn to dive; it was a great excuse.  Well, I ditched the high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol..and he started pestering me to get certified.  It’s something I couldn’t have done before but I actually love diving in the Caribbean and kick myself for sitting on the beach.  I have a granddaughter to be born in a week and a half; with any luck I’ll be able to see her grow up.  (I’m able to go camping, play in the park going up and down slides, and go sledding with our 4 older grandkids-something I didn’t do much of with my kids because my weight hindered me)

then there is the simpler things like bending over to tie your shoes,  having room between your belly and the steering wheel, being able to walk up stairs without gasping for air, crossing your legs, getting up off the floor without a crane, buying clothes in the normal person section of the store, just the normal everyday things;);)

Isn’t it strange how one can actually be braver when they are thinner? In my 50s I had lost 180 pounds and yes I could do all those things you speak of but it also made me braver,  things I would have never done when I was heavier just because I was scared, not sure exactly why Weight loss  makes you braver.  Lol but then sadly I gained it all back and by the time my two daughters and I went on a cruise at one of the ports when they had gotten off to go to a beautiful island I had to stay on the ship because I did not think I could keep up with them.
 Thank you so much for your response they are truly inspiring words, maybe 69 isn’t too late for me to try this!!!

On 9/8/2019 at 2:08 PM, HopeVa said:

Isn’t it strange how one can actually be braver when they are thinner? In my 50s I had lost 180 pounds and yes I could do all those things you speak of but it also made me braver,  things I would have never done when I was heavier just because I was scared, not sure exactly why Weight loss  makes you braver.  Lol but then sadly I gained it all back and by the time my two daughters and I went on a cruise at one of the ports when they had gotten off to go to a beautiful island I had to stay on the ship because I did not think I could keep up with them.
 Thank you so much for your response they are truly inspiring words, maybe 69 isn’t too late for me to try this!!!

Hi Hope

1. I don’t think it’s bravery. I think it’s confidence!

2. I think the old saying applies here:

how old will you be in five years if you have the surgery?

how old will you be in five years if you don’t have the surgery?

14 hours ago, Boston Redhead said:

Hi Hope

1. I don’t think it’s bravery. I think it’s confidence!

2. I think the old saying applies here:

how old will you be in five years if you have the surgery?

how old will you be in five years if you don’t have the surgery?

YES!!! Love that old saying!!!!

On 9/5/2019 at 7:58 PM, HopeVa said:

Thank you

Hope

Hi hope i’m 67 and having gastric bypass surgery next month glad I’m not the only old timer

4 hours ago, Bill Sperry said:

Hi hope i’m 67 and having gastric bypass surgery next month glad I’m not the only old timer

Hey Bill.......That is exciting next month!!!  How long was the process for you? Medicare will be 6 months for me.... I have not even started the count down yet. I have seen one surgeon but seeing another one next week!! I am trying to research and learn as much as I can on the different WLS..... and I have learned """"70"""" is getting right up there!!!!! LOL Best of lucky to you next month... keep us updated!!!

Hi hope i started going to 12 once a week options class at Kaiser then about 2 weeks later I got a call to see a surgeon.He said I was ready to go but wants me to lose at least 5 more pounds next time I see him on Nov. 12 then I have to do a 2 week liquid diet by the 25 th my surgery date I Hope.its hard losing weight while not on a strict diet right now but I’m trying my best .Best of luck to you too!