Kio

Reconnecting

Hi, TT fam!  I've been away from the forum for a little bit, life has been crazy in both good and bad ways.  Lost my beloved Xander-cat at age 20 - it was just time, we could no longer keep him pain-free with medications, his arthritis was just too bad. I'm not as broken by it as I always expected to be -- I got 20 years with him, my little furry best bud, and I feel like I made the right call at the right time.  I miss him like crazy, but I know I gave him a good life, and he gave ME a good life, too.

We also got a new dog - well, Leah got a new dog, which makes her my dog, too.  A dutch shepherd, one year old, that we got from a rescue organization right after she had puppies.  She's adorable, but a LOT of work, and super rambunctious first thing in the morning! 

And finally, construction/renovation has started at the back end of our house, in preparation for getting Leah's parents moved in with us. A few years before my surgery, it was a giant house renovation that essentially destroyed my success with the paleo diet - I'd lost 100lbs, and then construction de-railed me (we had no fridge, had to eat out basically for 2 months, it was horrible) and I slowly gained it all back over the next year. I'm DETERMINED not to let that happen this time (for one thing we get to keep our fridge this time!) but --

Overall summer has been hectic, but I've managed to stay active.  I walk a LOT - a couple of hours a day on the treadmill, and the dog has just added on to that.  But I haven't been eating right, and that's just on me and my stress/bad coping mechanisms.  I've gained about 5 lbs and I'm feeling bloated and a bit gross, and I figured now was the time to come clean about that instead of you know, 2 years from now when it might be 40 lbs, you know?  I feel like all the walking has been a buffer against bad behavior, but it's not ENOUGH of one - as they say, you can't outrun your fork.  So I've spent the past week or so re-aligning myself with my program and getting myself back together.  I'm also thinking hard about getting a membership for a barre/yoga studio, but it's a bit scary - as I am utterly lacking in things like flexibility, coordination, and rhythm.  :)  I'm almost two years out from my surgery, super close to my goal, and still finding new firsts around every corner.

It's still kind of weird and mysterious and wonderful to me that I can actually exercise.  We went hiking with the dog the other day - yuppie hiking, anyway, on a well-cut trail with a bunch of other people and their dogs.  :)  We were out there for almost 2 hours and when we got back to the car I felt really good.  Not tired, not worn out, not sore - just like I'd had a good workout.  Two years ago I could not have imagined feeling like that; I couldn't have imagined doing that; I couldn't have imagined just standing up without pain for 10 minutes, let alone walking for that long.  I have so much gratitude for this place, for helping me to make the decision to have my surgery, and to my doctors for making it happen. 

It is miserably hot in the Greater Boston area this week and I'm doing most of my exercise inside, surrounded by construction workers.  :)  But life is still good!  And I just wanted to share that with you guys.

Glad to see you back and doing well !!

It sounds like overall things are going well for you (except for the nasty Boston heat).  Yeah!  :)

Good to see you!  Summer is so busy and hectic.  We look forward to it all winter; forget about those hot and ungodly humid days..  

So nice to hear from you, @Kio!  We lived in our house during construction and it was my poor husband doing the construction.  He’d work a full day at work then come home and work another 6-7 hrs at home.  We were getting a new kitchen and taking the wall down between the kitchen and dining room, so there was drywall dust and stuff everywhere.  We were without a sink for a week and then it was finally done for thanksgiving (he started in Aug so I was impressed he did both rooms, ceilings, electrical, drywall, new supporting beam, widened the opening, redesigned the kitchen, put in new cabinets, all new appliances, all new flooring in both rooms, etc while still working a FT job!) but the quartz didn’t come in until the week after so he couldn’t hook the sink up bc it was an undermount farmhouse sink....we had TG dinner w/o a sink.  My husband and I washed the dishes in the bathroom sink.  My point it I totally get living in a remodel and feeling the stress.  We had a microwave we were eating Encore entrees for months, which got pretty disgusting and fattening :-/ 

I am proud of you pre-deciding to not go there this time!  Awesome mindset, girlfriend!

How fun was hiking?!?  Wonderful that you could do it and survive!!!  

You’re so close to your goal weight.....kudos to you!!!  Keep it up! 

I was starting to get into bad habits and though I was staying w/in 5 pounds but I wasn’t happy w/ it, so I joined WW two weeks ago.  I am hoping it will teach me to eat now that I am “normal”  (weight at least...haha!) but need to shed the mind set of a new WLS patients....not that I don’t want to  be mindful and not drink during eating etc etc, BUT I have to learn to reintroduce carbs (a little) and stop insisting on eating tons of protein forever.  I know that sounds wrong but you know what I mean...I definitely want to eat the proteins first but I bearly had fruit b/c it was a carb and a person does need carbs (healthy ones) for energy and I need to learn to re-eat in the “real world” and still maintain my weight.  I haven’t gone nuts but do feel like I am making wise choices.  And I am with you, don’t want to be coming back here in a few years 40 pounds up and try to get a grip!

Hi @Kio - it sounds like you have your head in the right place. Having a plan for keeping yourself in check is the best way to approach the changing behavior patterns necessitated by the remodel. Good for you. And keep going on your hiking/walking/exercise - statistically the best way to keep the pounds off (well, keeping in mind your eating plan). 

I'm sorry about your cat. What a lovely long life enjoyed with you. It's great that you can keep your mind on the happy aspects. 

Best of luck with the new active pup! Running after a puppy will keep you on the move, for sure :)