Sign in to follow this  
Rob_VSG

That deceptive scale!

Starting if February this year I began personal training sessions (3 days a week) at the the local health club and it's been great.  At the end of every week, I step on this 6-sensor scale and body composition machine to track my progress.  Since February, for the most part,  I've been watching body fat decrease and muscle mass increase.  Due to vacation/work and other scheduling challenges, I was not able to make it in for my personal training sessions for 3 weeks and just started up again today.  I asked the trainer to do a body composition scale today to see what has changed over the 3 weeks of no training.  At first I stepped on the scale and was excited to see I lost 5 lbs from my last training session the end of June.  Then I looked at all the numbers and my jaw just dropped.  I lost 5 lbs of muscle, gained 4 lbs of fat and had 4 lbs less of water weight!  @%ˆ&ˆ%$#

That was an eye opener and made me realize how measuring weight only can lead me astray.

Just wanted to share.

Rob

Wow.  That is interesting information.

Update as of today... So I resumed my visits to the personal trainer and now have 3 pounds less of fat and 3.6 pounds more muscle but weight is about the same!  Looks like I'll keep seeing the personal trainer.

Rob