DrCohbi

New Here, But Glad I Found You!

Hello everyone. I am new here but I am so glad I found you all. I feel like I may not be having to go through this alone. However, I do believe I may be one of the heaviest if not THE heaviest to be a member here, starting my weight loss at just under 500 lbs. I hope to be successful, and with my doctors and new friends I may make here, I know I will be.

@DrCohbi...welcome to Thinner Times!!

Congratulations on your surgery, and your decision to get healthy! If you follow your post op plan, you will be successful! And we are all here to support you :) 

Welcome to the losers bench...it’s so nice to have you here!

Welcome to Thinner Times DrCohbi - looks like you are off to a great start.

Welcome!

My son in law started at over 400 a year ago, he’s down to a 34” waist at 6’4” tall.  

Follow your doctors plan.  Keep carbs super low!  Get as much protein as you can.  Life is good on the losers bench!  

I suggest measuring yourself now then compare if you ever get frustrated that you are in a stall.  Measure everything, upper arms, thighs, calves, ankles, wrist, neck...

Edited by Cheesehead

Welcome! And congratulations on taking this life-saving step! We are all equals here! I may not have started as heavy as you did, but I did need to lose about half my body weight. It's all relative, and all a giant, wonderful journey! This forum REALLY helped me lose and still helps me every day. SO glad you're here! 

Thank you all for your gracious welcomes. Yesterday I saw my doctor for my 2week follow-up, they told me I am doing fantastic, they said I am now where I should be at 6 weeks, in these last two weeks I have lost 30lbs. So, today I figured I would try and put on a pair of 501’s that I accidentally bought years ago (too small), well they fit...almost. The rear is a little tight, but only when I sit. This and the fact that they cleared me for mushy foods, (i.e., tuna, chicken & egg salads), means this is an exceptionally great weekend. The only real challenge I am now facing is a lunch date at Olive Garden with my family tomorrow, hope a bottle of water does it for me, lol.

you all are so terrific, I again say that I am so happy that I found you all.

Edited by DrCohbi

Welcome. Although your period of weight loss may be longer than the rest of us, if you stick to the post op diet plan, drink lots of liquids every day, take your vitamins and lead an active lifestyle, you really can reach your goal weight and then maintain at your goal weight.

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass.

We are here to support you.   

DrCohbi,

Olive Garden's soup is generally a good bet at your stage. 

Here's their menu - the Minestrone would probably be my choice so early out - you should be fine with the broth and maybe use a fork to squish some of the veg.  etc. - check out their soups here:  https://www.olivegarden.com/menu/homemade-soups/prod81927

21 hours ago, DrCohbi said:

Thank you all for your gracious welcomes. Yesterday I saw my doctor for my 2week follow-up, they told me I am doing fantastic, they said I am now where I should be at 6 weeks, in these last two weeks I have lost 30lbs. So, today I figured I would try and put on a pair of 501’s that I accidentally bought years ago (too small), well they fit...almost. The rear is a little tight, but only when I sit. This and the fact that they cleared me for mushy foods, (i.e., tuna, chicken & egg salads), means this is an exceptionally great weekend. The only real challenge I am now facing is a lunch date at Olive Garden with my family tomorrow, hope a bottle of water does it for me, lol.

you all are so terrific, I again say that I am so happy that I found you all.

I hope that lunch date went ok! Like @cinwa can recommend their soups. When I go there now I am amazed by the carbohydrates (bread sticks, bread, pasta, yet more bread) served. 

30 lbs is a lot. You must feel great. Congratulations! Just stick to your Plan and those 501s will be loose soon enough!

Hi, @DrCohbi, and welcome!  Don't worry too much about your starting weight - what matters is where you end up.  I started out around 365 lbs, easily one of the highest starts I've seen for ladies around here - and I've now lost over half my body weight and I'm closing in on a normal BMI.  It sounds like you're already learning one of the most important things, too - that success starts loooooong before you reach the end of the journey!  Every time something new fits, every time you're able to do something today that you couldn't do last week - that's your success, and it starts right now. 

Best of luck to you - keep us posted, ask questions, stick around!  This is a great place.  :)  

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! I survived my Olive Garden experience with flying colors. It wasn’t easy sitting there watching my family eat all my favorite dishes, but I asked them to grill me a small piece of chicken breast, then I added some oil & vinegar to lightly moisten it, went down easily and I had no problem. Afterwards, it was all a memory, and I was proud of myself for being able to sit and enjoy the company without making it about food.

Today was my 4 week check-up and I am having mixed feelings about it. They said I was now cleared for semi-solid foods, (e.g., hamburger, chicken, fish, pork, etc.) But the part I am having mixed feelings about is the fact that I only lost 10 more pounds. The first two weeks I lost 30 pounds, now I know that any loss is a reason to feel good about myself, but should I be concerned that the loss has slowed down so dramatically? 

Now, the nurse did say, 40lbs. in my first 4 weeks was phenomenal, however my road is so long before me, I am just so anxious to get there. One other thing that she said today was that most only loose 1-2lbs. a week, this can’t be true. Surely other RNY patients experience much more weight loss than that. But she did say that at this point I shouldn’t concentrate on the pounds, but rather watch the inches. Apparently the body goes from dropping the weight, to loosing the inches, then back again.

in any case, I am happy overall. I feel better than I have in a long time. I am sleeping better, and (sorry to get graphic here) but the diarrhea is substantially better, almost gone! 

Oh and the best part, I’ve gone from a tight 6x shirt to a loose 4x! And those 501’s fight nicely now! (Sorry for all the exclamation points, but I’m really excited).

DrCohbi,

I think you're doing an amazing job.  A10 lb loss in 2 weeks is excellent.

I know we shouldn't compare weight loss and I'm a gal etc. etc. and the rate at which we lose isn't an indicator of success or failure but I'll attach a copy of my weight loss.  The line in red is the day of my surgery.

Here I am today - nigh on 12 years post-op and weighed in at 121lb on the nose this morning (I have a small frame).  And for what it's worth, I chose not to have scales in the house until I got into the normal BMI range for my height because all of my previous attempts at dieting failed the moment the scales didn't record a loss.  I relied on hospital/doctor visit to get weighed and that was the single best thing I could have done for myself because it freed me up to follow the programme and get some exercise in daily - even if it was just a good walk.

827000367_Weightloss.JPG.62a045184442a85851c0fe2570d6dd5c.JPG