Hi everyone!!

I'm a week away from starting my 2 week pre op diet. Starting to get nervous and excited. I've decided to not tell anyone except a select few people. A collegue from work who I've discussed at length with about the surgery because they've had the sleeve too, my boss, and another collegue. My husband and a close girlfriend. I see a psychologist and a dietitian. That is it. Not even my family know. 

I've struggled for many years with my weight. Some people say, you shouldn't eat that, be a better role model for your kids, others say your not that big.... I feel like it is always judgement City. So my husband has been amazing and I said, I'm not telling anyone. I'm just going to say I'm having a hernia repair. Doctor said I need to lose weight. This is what I'm doing. But only if people ask.

So, 6th August 2019 is operation day. Eeekkk!!

Any advice I'm all ears??

Congratz as you start this exciting journey!  I have never regretted having WLS.  I too was told I was "not that big" etc - but the sleep apnea that I had as a result of weight gain scared me into deciding my life was worth making this change. 

I would suggest you take before surgery pics, and also measurements (arms, chest, waist, hips, legs).  I regret not having taken measurements pre-surgery.  Believe me, those measurements will greatly motivate you as you see the inches as well as pounds come off. :)

Though you are most likely dreading the 2 week pre-op (not sure if it is all liquids for you), the first 2 days were the hardest for me.  It got easier after that.  I too have a very supportive hubby who was careful not to eat or cook around me lol.  That may not be practical in your home, but I did better not smelling food :)

If you have sleep apnea, make sure to bring your CPAP to the hospital on surgery day.  Anesthesia can really mess with your oxygen levels so the CPAP will be essential.

Most importantly, stay on the plan your surgeon/nutritionist gives you.  It's SO worth it.  You are so worth it!  We look forward to following your progress and we are here if you have any questions/concerns. <3

Sounds like you are in a good place. Since you have a tight group of people in the know (husband, close girlfriend, colleague and boss) be sure your lines of communication are wide open. Social support is critical (and that includes ever-so-gentle critical support; my wife helps me stay on the Path, and sometimes that means saying things to me that I would rather not hear). I was surprised to find that the lifeguards at the pool where I swim were 110% behind me - once my weight loss became obvious, they would ask about the distance I was swimming, my goals, everything - it made going to the gym a lot easier, and more friendly.

The other two legs of the three are making sure your psych issues are being addressed, and then adhering to the diet. You may find the two week pre-op diet more challenging than the diet after surgery, since after surgery you will have little hunger, but before surgery it may still bedevil you! Indeed, you are doing the thing most likely to extend your life and happiness, and it may serve as a powerful message to your kids about "What a Responsible Adult Does" to keep themselves healthy. 

re: your point about Judgement City - you may find that you have to figure out how to forgive (or forget) people who injured you; don't forget to forgive yourself if you have internalized any of the negative messages.^_^

1 hour ago, Peachysmilz said:

Hi everyone!!

I'm a week away from starting my 2 week pre op diet. Starting to get nervous and excited. I've decided to not tell anyone except a select few people. A collegue from work who I've discussed at length with about the surgery because they've had the sleeve too, my boss, and another collegue. My husband and a close girlfriend. I see a psychologist and a dietitian. That is it. Not even my family know. 

I've struggled for many years with my weight. Some people say, you shouldn't eat that, be a better role model for your kids, others say your not that big.... I feel like it is always judgement City. So my husband has been amazing and I said, I'm not telling anyone. I'm just going to say I'm having a hernia repair. Doctor said I need to lose weight. This is what I'm doing. But only if people ask.

So, 6th August 2019 is operation day. Eeekkk!!

Any advice I'm all ears??

Being in "Judgement City" is why many of us chose not to be public about our WLS journey.  However the longer I am in maintenance the more I don't care if people know how I got here.  It's your journey and you get to decide who comes along for the ride. 

Congrats on starting that journey, the one that will lead you to a gloriously healthy life!

Welcome to Thinner Times Peachysmilz!

Best advice I can give is to read all you can, ask question and join in the conversations.

1 hour ago, msmarymac said:

Congrats on starting that journey, the one that will lead you to a gloriously healthy life!

Couldn't have said it better!

Welcome and best of luck! You'll have such an amazing time seeing all the things you can do comfortably as you lose. It's quite a journey. Don't worry about not telling people if you're not comfortable. I told no one at first except my husband, and it was fine. Now a few people know, and I feel like I've told the right people to get the support I need. 

Sounds like you are doing all the right things and I agree with all the posters in this thread too.  I only told family and closest friends before I had surgery.  I think the reason I mostly kept it secret is the fear that I might fail at losing weight after surgery and if everybody knew about it ahead of time, they might end up watching me fail in in real time and that would just mess with my head more.  Keeping it secret made for less mental pressure.

Now 16 months and 159 lbs later, I will spill it all to anyone who asks.  I have lots to tell about surgery, and post surgery life style changes and usually more than people want to hear.

Best of luck!