Sign in to follow this  
Nae0906

2 Days from the sleeve

Hello my name is Nae, 31 and literally 2 days from the sleeve! I’m excited and nervous and just started my clear liquid diet today :( .. I’m hungry . I’ve been doing plenty of water and jello and hard candy but I’m sure am thinking of something solid.  Just a taste sound so good ! But I don’t want to mess up my surgery. Can’t believe it’s this close away . Anybody nervous before?

Edited by Nae0906

Welcome to Thinner Times Nae.

Hang in there and try warm drinks like some fruity Celestial Seasonings Tea (or other caffeine free tea).  Warm drinks are more soothing on a grumbling tummy and a little more satisfying than cold ones.

I think you'll find that most of us were nervous to some degree or other just before our surgery.

Thanks you I will try that! 

@Nae0906

Everyone is nervous before their surgery. Comes with the territory, as they say. Just keep 'putting one foot in front of the other' and move forward. You'll be fine.

This is all about adherence to a well-proven route to weight loss.... but I don't mean to make light of the behavioral challenges! Like you, I only had to be on liquids for 2 days before surgery. After surgery, when I was still on liquids, I found myself chewing up solid food and then spitting it out, just to have the mouth feel / sensation of solids. (Many people posting here will confess to a similar behavior). The key here is to just follow the instructions when it comes to diet, have social support, and address your psychological issues. If you pay attention to those 3 issues you will do well. 

Do make sure you  have your kit for surgery - books to read, pajamas if you wear those in hospital, music to listen to ... and consider measuring yourself this weekend (neck, thighs, calves, arms, waist, bosoms, the whole works) so as to measure your progress in the future. I missed that opportunity and it's one of my small regrets. In retrospect I think I was so flipped out by how large I had become that I really did not want to know my neck size. After surgery, when you may be challenged by your emotional need to have lost weight EVERY SINGLE DAY and you worry that YOU WILL BE THE FIRST PERSON DISCOVERED THAT THE SURGERY DOES NOT WORK FOR and similar silly ideas, being able to document your slimming self will provide you with reassurance. 

Exercise is not critical to weight loss after bariatric surgery, but it is a cornerstone of being healthy. If you are not in the habit of exercise you may wish to consider a new habit, of something as simple as walking every day. @Kio has some lovely postings about her increasing ability and capacity to walk after surgery, @Cardamom77 and @athenarose have lots of tips about the same - many, many people are more active after surgery and exult in it! be it walking, running, swimming, cycling, scuba diving, whatever. Statistically people (after surgery) have a BMI about 2 points lower if they engage in any exercise than people who get no exercise. Plus they get to live longer and better because they are active. 

Good luck! 

I suspect everyone is nervous before.  I know was as VSG was the first time I've ever had ANY surgery.  I see you are post-op now.  Please check in and let us know how you are doing.

Rob