My name is patty. I am pre-op, my surgery is scheduled for July 17.  On the pre-op diet right now. Not doing so bad except I’m getting sick of the protein shakes already and just had to force myself to finish one without throwing it up. How much weight do you lose on this diet? How fast? 

The goal of the pre op diet is to lose 10-15 pounds or so.  This weight loss helps the person get their body used to weight loss, speeds the post op time until the person reaches their goal weight, and (perhaps most importantly) "shrinks the liver" which makes the surgery easier and safer.

Keep in mid that everyone loses weight both before and after surgery at a different rate.  However, in general, people who weight more lose weight faster, people who have a gastric bypass lose weight faster than people who have the gastric sleeve, and men lose weight faster than women.

We are here to support you.:)

8 hours ago, Patcat16 said:

My name is patty. I am pre-op, my surgery is scheduled for July 17.  On the pre-op diet right now. Not doing so bad except I’m getting sick of the protein shakes already and just had to force myself to finish one without throwing it up. How much weight do you lose on this diet? How fast? 

Keep your eyes on the prize. This will likely not be the last time you're sick of protein shakes, but it's all worth it. Try blending them with ice for a texture change, or freezing them partway to make them more milkshake-like. I still drink a protein shake every day because it's an easy way to get in a bunch of protein. 

As @Res Ipsa mentioned, the pre-op diet is mostly about making sure your body is optimally healthy for undergoing surgery. You want to make sure that goes as smoothly as possible. I didn't have a strict pre-op diet except for maybe 5 days before surgery? A week? I don't remember exactly, but not long. However, in the month before surgery, I did sort of my own low-cal, low-carb thing and managed to actually lose more weight than any month post-op, oddly. It was a good way to get myself in gear, mentally speaking. 

You've got a lot of exciting changes coming up in your future! It helps to think long-term and about your big goals when you're feeling bogged down by immediate stresses (sick of the food stage, having GI problems, etc). Best of luck in the couple of weeks pre-op until your surgery :) 

Welcome to Thinner Times Patty.

I don't know which protein shakes you're on but have you tried some of the bottled clear ones?  

I still keep a couple of bottles in the house (I like Isopure Zero Carb).  I like to dilute them with water (usually 1/2 and 1/2) and swig on them throughout the day.  Walmart's Premier Clear is pretty good too.  Too sweet as is for me, hence the diluting. 

Welcome!  Premier is good.  I like the peach flavored ones.  Know they also make a protein water that my daughter likes..

good luck on your new journey!