Readytobeme

Hi Guys and Gals

I am still around. Not doing as well as I expected since surgery. I managed to lose 80 pound in the first 6 months. Then we made a long distance move. Next my fil passed away and in February I lost my mom while I was staying with her under hospice home care. 

My weight loss stopped in September when we moved and I have not managed to get back on track and stay there since then. 

I have had a few very bad episodes with gerd. I am scheduled to be scoped/biopsy on Tuesday and May end up needing a revision. 

Thats where I am at. Looks like the rest of you are doing well :) 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time and condolences on the posing of your FIL and mum. It definitely sounds like you've had bigger things to worry about (especially now that you're 80lbs smaller which is so cool!) and you've done an awesome job thus far. 

Be kind to yourself, enjoy your success so far and don't beat yourself up when you're dealing with and adjusting to do much else.

I don't know about you but I feel like I spend so much time focusing on the ideal goal that I sometimes forget to appreciate where I am and what I've achieved right now. But I actually took stock yesterday. I've lost about the same amount as you and while I'd definitely like to lose more, I realised that if this was my new stable weight I'd actually be relatively happy where I am.

I hope things calm down for you soon and that all the hard stuff is over. 

How did you go after your biopsy? Hoping everything was ok for you.

Thank you so much for the response and the encouragement. 

I had the egd on Tuesday. I was surprised to find out that my pouch is not stretched at all. Not only that my surgeon was very impressed with the surgeon that did my surgery and the quality of how she made my pouch. 

He did find a hiatal hernia and I had to wear a monitor for 48 hours after he implanted an electrode into my esophagus to monitor the acid levels there. 

I go back to see my dr and get the results on the 16th. 

Thanks again for your kind words. 

Edited by Readytobeme

I am so vey sorry for your family's losses.  

I also am sorry to hear that you have had post op GERD problems.  GERD seems to be a quite common and unpleasant long term side effect for sleeve patients and I wonder whether bariatric surgeons should do a better job of alerting potential sleeve patients of this post op risk (especially since GERD is very rare after a gastric bypass).

We are here to support you on your weight loss surgery journey.

I agree. I did know that gerd was a risk with the sleeve. But I asked my dr to help me decide which to do. She said that she wouldn’t recommend one over the other but said that I was a perfect candidate for the sleeve. 

I had never had gerd before in my life. My first episode was a bad one. I woke up one morning with acid pouring from my mouth and nose. It was extremely painful and I had no clue just how bad it could be. 

The nurses in my new surgeons office and at the hospital said thAt they see sleeved patients revising to bypass quite often due to gerd. 

I regret not going for the bypass from the start. 

I will say that it’s not over until this fat lady sings lol I am still planning to get at least another 30 but hopefully 50 pounds off

@Readytobeme  did your surgeon prescribe anything for the GERD? Mine does 6 months of protonix for his patients. I haven’t had any problems at all, and I had massive problems before.

I was on omeprazole for my first year after surgery. The gerd didn’t start until I stopped the med. 

it isn’t safe to take ppis long term so I only take as needed until I go back and see my dr on the 16th