It's been almost 5 years since my surgery. I did great at maintenance. Then I got really sick. I could exercise, and I did eat properly. I've gained 30 pounds and as much as I do what I'm supposed to do, I'm not losing! I don't know what to do. I'm past the age for my SS to pay for a revision, I'm thinking of going to see my surgeon anyway and see if the is anything to do. I guess I'm just venting.

I am sorry to hear this.  Have you tried the 5 day reset?

No...but I do believe that's exactly what I'm going to do!  Thank you

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Unfortunately at our age (I'm 56), it is extremely hard to lose weight even without WLS. I'm 4.5 yrs post op and regained about 15 lbs from my lowest. I have finally just accepted that this is where I am maintaining. Dr. Matthew Wiener's videos have really helped me understand how it all works. Now...if you want to starve for the rest of your life you can lose but the minute we eat "normal" it all comes back. I can't do keto the rest of my life as it affects in other ways plus it's not a life diet (in my opinion). Saying that, I am EXTREMELY happy I got the surgery! I was obese all of my adult life and only DREAMED of weighing 175, my life goal was hoping to weigh 200 (HW 260). Would I love to weigh 160 again? Of course but I am not willing to starve to get there and I can't exercise due to health reasons. I do walk but that is not enough. Just menopause itself makes us gain weight. Acceptance is key to your happiness, find a realistic number and maintain there, you will be happier in the end...believe me take it from someone who knows. You look lovely in the pic!!

16 hours ago, latina63 said:

Unfortunately at our age (I'm 56), it is extremely hard to lose weight even without WLS. I'm 4.5 yrs post op and regained about 15 lbs from my lowest. I have finally just accepted that this is where I am maintaining. Dr. Matthew Wiener's videos have really helped me understand how it all works. Now...if you want to starve for the rest of your life you can lose but the minute we eat "normal" it all comes back. I can't do keto the rest of my life as it affects in other ways plus it's not a life diet (in my opinion). Saying that, I am EXTREMELY happy I got the surgery! I was obese all of my adult life and only DREAMED of weighing 175, my life goal was hoping to weigh 200 (HW 260). Would I love to weigh 160 again? Of course but I am not willing to starve to get there and I can't exercise due to health reasons. I do walk but that is not enough. Just menopause itself makes us gain weight. Acceptance is key to your happiness, find a realistic number and maintain there, you will be happier in the end...believe me take it from someone who knows. You look lovely in the pic!!

You are so right about all of this !!

I started menopausing around 45 or 46 and put on another 30 to 40 lbs over the course of a few years.  I also don't exercise due to health issues.  It is hard not to compare yourself to others when you see such lower weights or BMI, so yes Acceptance is key !!    I have to remind myself of this from time to time.:)

I'm 64 and have a continual problem eating enough to maintain the 130-135 lb that my PCP would like to see me at (I have osteopenia which is the midpoint between having healthy bones and having osteoporosis). 

My goal is 2,000 - 2,200 calories a day (I'm very active) but even on that (and I'm never below 2,000 cals.), my weight drops and yesterday, I was back down to 120 lb (no shoes but fully clothed in jeans, "T" shirt and sweatshirt).

@cinwa Oh my, if I only could be so lucky!! Saying that maybe for you it's hard so I will TRY to understand your dilemma LOL LOL. I can't go over 1500 or I will gain so it's a constant struggle for me so I have just accepted myself as a "thicker" Nana and momma!

17 hours ago, latina63 said:

@cinwa Oh my, if I only could be so lucky!! Saying that maybe for you it's hard so I will TRY to understand your dilemma LOL LOL. I can't go over 1500 or I will gain so it's a constant struggle for me so I have just accepted myself as a "thicker" Nana and momma!

I like being at the lighter weight but not being able to maintain the extra few pounds that they want me at has pretty significant implications.

I started this thread just over 4 years ago and it's a good read for every - and yes, that includes the guys:   Osteopenia/Osteoporosis - Think you're safe? Well, think again! UPDATED!

12 hours ago, Nicole Curry said:

What is the 5 day reset?

Here you go Nicole:  5 Day Pouch Test

The 5 Day Pouch Test is for surgical weight loss patients who fear they have stretched their pouch, regained weight or out of control eating.  Having said that, I have a couple of non-WLS friends who have used it to kick start their dieting programme.