Nana Trish

Constipation

So I was doing well eating for about a week after my hernia surgery. About a week later, I ate some eggs for breakfast and became violently ill, again. Vomiting, nausea, and of course constipation, which has been an ongoing problem for me for many years. Even prior to WLS, it's been a beast. I called my WLS surgeon for guidance. He referred me to a gastro doc, which got me in the next day thank GOD. I have been on a liquid diet for about a week and a half due to this nausea, etc...but the constipation has become so severe that I have stool backed up so far that it  just wouldn't move. Apparently, the pain meds from the back to back knee surgeries took my "manageable" constipation and turned it into cement... MoM wasn't working, Mag citrate wasn't working, nothing. So the gastro doc put me on Miralax twice a day, daily enemas (NOT my idea of a good time), probiotics, and a pre biotic liquid diet. I have been a miserable biotch, between the liquid diet and not pooping. Things have started moving a little over the past 2 days, so I hope its the beginning of better days to come. I have to go back for another x-ray tomorrow to see how much I have been able to evacuate from my insides, then back to gastro on Wednesday to see what the next step is. I already know another colonoscopy is on the table (yay) but hoping its nothing more invasive than that. I know what I'm potentially looking at, but trying to keep those thoughts on the back burner until I know for sure.  

I ate solid food for the first time today, because gastro doc said I could try when I felt I could keep food down. It seems to be staying down and settled for now, anyway. I guess I just need a few words of encouragement from you guys. I'm so tired of doctors, hospitals and surgery...I just don't want anymore. I'm hoping to be able to at least stay on solids, but I will find out for sure after I see the doc on Wednesday. I know I'm always asking for prayers....but if you have any more hidden in there, please pull them out for me. 

Thank you!! :wub:

1 minute ago, Nana Trish said:

So I was doing well eating for about a week after my hernia surgery. About a week later, I ate some eggs for breakfast and became violently ill, again. Vomiting, nausea, and of course constipation, which has been an ongoing problem for me for many years. Even prior to WLS, it's been a beast. I called my WLS surgeon for guidance. He referred me to a gastro doc, which got me in the next day thank GOD. I have been on a liquid diet for about a week and a half due to this nausea, etc...but the constipation has become so severe that I have stool backed up so far that it  just wouldn't move. Apparently, the pain meds from the back to back knee surgeries took my "manageable" constipation and turned it into cement... MoM wasn't working, Mag citrate wasn't working, nothing. So the gastro doc put me on Miralax twice a day, daily enemas (NOT my idea of a good time), probiotics, and a pre biotic liquid diet. I have been a miserable biotch, between the liquid diet and not pooping. Things have started moving a little over the past 2 days, so I hope its the beginning of better days to come. I have to go back for another x-ray tomorrow to see how much I have been able to evacuate from my insides, then back to gastro on Wednesday to see what the next step is. I already know another colonoscopy is on the table (yay) but hoping its nothing more invasive than that. I know what I'm potentially looking at, but trying to keep those thoughts on the back burner until I know for sure.  

I ate solid food for the first time today, because gastro doc said I could try when I felt I could keep food down. It seems to be staying down and settled for now, anyway. I guess I just need a few words of encouragement from you guys. I'm so tired of doctors, hospitals and surgery...I just don't want anymore. I'm hoping to be able to at least stay on solids, but I will find out for sure after I see the doc on Wednesday. I know I'm always asking for prayers....but if you have any more hidden in there, please pull them out for me. 

Thank you!! :wub:

I will be praying for you sweetie for sure!  Thanks for letting us know what is going on.  I pray for good results in the x-ray tomorrow and wisdom for the doctor's to know to best get things cleared out ASAP!  And keep venting as you need to.  We are here for you! <3

22 minutes ago, TammyP said:

I will be praying for you sweetie for sure!  Thanks for letting us know what is going on.  I pray for good results in the x-ray tomorrow and wisdom for the doctor's to know to best get things cleared out ASAP!  And keep venting as you need to.  We are here for you! <3

Thank you, @TammyP ❤️❤️❤️

Big hugs to you!!! How have you been doing, my friend?

Eggs suck!  They are evil!  Stay away from them!  I can’t even get them in my mouth anymore, I gag!  Yogurt?  Berries?  Praying for a great week for you.  Keep us posted!

Lol, @Cheesehead...when I’m feeling well, I’m good with eggs. But I do eat a lot of yogurt and berries, especially the past week or so in the form of smoothies. Made with protein shakes. Yogurt is always my saving grace. Thank you for your prayers, my friend! I will definitely keep you posted! 

I'm sorry you're dealing with that Trish - constipation is no fun.

Eggs have been a no-go for me since my WLS so I can't help there.  They just sat like a brick - regardless of how they're prepared.

I've had a few run-ins with severe constipation after surgeries and generic Miralax with stool softeners has always worked and believe it or not, along with upping my fluids, I was also told to take a fiber supplement like Metamucil (or cheaper generic).  That works for me.

12 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Lol, @Cheesehead...when I’m feeling well, I’m good with eggs. But I do eat a lot of yogurt and berries, especially the past week or so in the form of smoothies. Made with protein shakes. Yogurt is always my saving grace. Thank you for your prayers, my friend! I will definitely keep you posted! 

Trish, FWIW, I have to use psyllium powder every morning with my protein shake, AND sure to eat a grain with fiber (wheat berries, farro) or beans to stay regular. I dread being plugged up and dare not swerve from this path. When I travel overseas I take the protein bars from Costco that have lots of fiber in them to address my needs for protein and fiber.... :blink:

@Nana Trish I am sorry you are dealing with this. I know all too well about constipation and the havoc it can wreak, both mentally and physically. I suffered with constipation issues even before RNY, for as long as I can remember actually. It got so sever after RNY that I was beside myself. I ended up in the ER at least 10 times, and it's so embarrassing.  BTW,  I also had five hernias (4 surgeries) after RNY, which all were repaired finally after a lot of agony. However, the constipation got so bad, that I was up to about 10 exlax per day, without much success. I had a colonoscopy, but the results were inconclusive because even after three (3!) days on the pre-test diet, my system wasn't cleared out. I had motility tests done and other invasive procedures I'd like to forget. Nothing.

I finally went to my surgeon in tears, as after my last hernia repair (when I was 20 weeks pregnant!), he mentioned that he was shocked that my colon was more than 2x the length it should be, and was getting twisted, creating blockages. He told me to wait until after the baby was born and give myself some time to heal and we would discuss. When I went back, he said it's like a last resort, but he recommended a colectomy, which is the surgical removal of all or part of the colon. When he did the surgery, he said my colon was even longer than he thought. He removed A LOT of it and it was the best decision (besides RNY) that I made. I have been regular ever since, for the first time in my life. Haven't touched a laxative in a few years. Amazing.

Just sharing my experience.

So sorry you are having these struggles.  Prayers for you.

17 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Thank you, @TammyP ❤️❤️❤️

Big hugs to you!!! How have you been doing, my friend?

I'm doing pretty well my friend <3  I did an update blog a week ago for my 2 year surgiversary :)  How did the x-ray go today?

3 hours ago, TammyP said:

I'm doing pretty well my friend <3  I did an update blog a week ago for my 2 year surgiversary :)  How did the x-ray go today?

I’m so glad to hear you’re doing well!! I’m terrible about reading the blogs, but I will read yours later to get the scoop :) Happy 2 year surgiversary!! I literally just walked out of the room that I got my xrays done in, lol...Hubby needed a follow up ultrasound on his kidney because of the stone he had, so I figured I’d check in while he was having that done. I will get the results tomorrow at the gastro doc appointment, so I will keep you posted ❤️

9 hours ago, GAviv said:

@Nana Trish I am sorry you are dealing with this. I know all too well about constipation and the havoc it can wreak, both mentally and physically. I suffered with constipation issues even before RNY, for as long as I can remember actually. It got so sever after RNY that I was beside myself. I ended up in the ER at least 10 times, and it's so embarrassing.  BTW,  I also had five hernias (4 surgeries) after RNY, which all were repaired finally after a lot of agony. However, the constipation got so bad, that I was up to about 10 exlax per day, without much success. I had a colonoscopy, but the results were inconclusive because even after three (3!) days on the pre-test diet, my system wasn't cleared out. I had motility tests done and other invasive procedures I'd like to forget. Nothing.

I finally went to my surgeon in tears, as after my last hernia repair (when I was 20 weeks pregnant!), he mentioned that he was shocked that my colon was more than 2x the length it should be, and was getting twisted, creating blockages. He told me to wait until after the baby was born and give myself some time to heal and we would discuss. When I went back, he said it's like a last resort, but he recommended a colectomy, which is the surgical removal of all or part of the colon. When he did the surgery, he said my colon was even longer than he thought. He removed A LOT of it and it was the best decision (besides RNY) that I made. I have been regular ever since, for the first time in my life. Haven't touched a laxative in a few years. Amazing.

Just sharing my experience.

@GAviv, I think I remember you talking about your problems with severe constipation and the colon surgery a couple of years back. I was trying to remember who it was that went through this here on the forum the other day...it must have been you. I'm also sorry that you had to deal with all of that. I have been dealing with constipation since I was 8 years old...that being the age of my first ER visit for it. No one likes a rectal exam, but it's pretty traumatic for an 8 year old, with a room full of people in attendance. I knew it was bad, and I also knew the dangers of taking narcotics and worsening constipation, but the pain meds were more than necessary after my knee replacements. So I was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with that. The colon surgery is looming, and I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later the way things are going. That's not me being a worry wart, it's me being realistic. I can't even being to imagine what it's like to not need a laxative or stool softener, but I'd like to find out. I'm not sure my body can handle another surgery right yet thought...I'm so weak, and the strength just isn't coming back. I know all of this stuff takes time, but Good Lord, I've been in the hospital more than not since the end of January, and I'm so sick of it. So much for being healthier after reaching goal weight...ugh. Sorry, a bit of self pity popped out there for a second. 

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with me...at least it gives me hope if I end up going the same route you had to. Right now, I just need to feel better. I'm hoping tomorrow is a better day, and my doc will have some good news for me. 

12 hours ago, cinwa said:

I'm sorry you're dealing with that Trish - constipation is no fun.

Eggs have been a no-go for me since my WLS so I can't help there.  They just sat like a brick - regardless of how they're prepared.

I've had a few run-ins with severe constipation after surgeries and generic Miralax with stool softeners has always worked and believe it or not, along with upping my fluids, I was also told to take a fiber supplement like Metamucil (or cheaper generic).  That works for me.

Cinwa, Miralax has ALWAYS worked for me, as has MoM and even stool softeners, prior to this episode. Mag citrate is "the big guns" as far as I'm concerned, and when I drank that and it didn't work, I knew I was in trouble. So for now, at least until I see the doc tomorrow, It's the Miralax twice a day, daily enemas, probiotics. I already read my xray results from today, and apparently the stool is only in the lower colon now, so the backlog appears to have moved on. So hopefully tomorrow we will be able to schedule my next colonoscopy, and find out if colon surgery is next on the menu. I will definitely let you guys know once I find out what the plan is. 

As for the eggs, when I'm healthy and everything is working as it should, they are fine for me. But that just happened to be the last solid meal I ate after I was completely backed up, and I honestly don't think it would have mattered what I ate that day. It would have sat there like a brick until I threw up. 

Thanks so much for the advice on the Metamucil :) I think that's the only thing I have not tried yet.

@Nana Trish keep us posted. Unless you’ve been there, it’s hard to comprehend.  I honestly wouldn’t wish severe constipation on my worst enemy ☹️ I would drink 3 bottles of mag citrate at a time with no result. Many an enema in the ER and my poor husband helping me with enemas at home. I hated every second of it. I hope you get relief and answers soon.

Happy to talk further if you have any questions about the colectomy. Thinking of you.  

Eggs are only occasional for me.  I just had elective surgery (tummy and thigh tuck) and to avoid constipation I upped my intake of olive oil and butter.  Half a shot glass of olive oil with a little lemon juice in it really helps (twice a day), makes a great salad dressing too.  My other option is a pat of butter on a triscuit or salteen twice a day.

Yikes. @Nana Trish I hope that you are doing better. You are in my best thoughts and prayers. 

On 6/25/2019 at 9:09 PM, GAviv said:

@Nana Trish keep us posted. Unless you’ve been there, it’s hard to comprehend.  I honestly wouldn’t wish severe constipation on my worst enemy ☹️ I would drink 3 bottles of mag citrate at a time with no result. Many an enema in the ER and my poor husband helping me with enemas at home. I hated every second of it. I hope you get relief and answers soon.

Happy to talk further if you have any questions about the colectomy. Thinking of you.  

Oh good God...3 bottles of mag citrate at once? That’s absolutely horrible...it makes me nauseous just drinking one, and the gurgling and gas are just terrible with mag for me when nothing moves after I drink it. I don’t think I could force 3 bottles down my throat at a time if you paid me a million dollars.

I am apparently making progress, but not enough YET to schedule the colonoscopy. My gastro upped my daily miralax to 3 doses, but I only need to take the enema if I don’t have a BM from the Miralax alone. He thinks it will take another 2 weeks to get me to a point where the bowel prep will be effective. So I go back to see him after another X-ray and some labs in 2 weeks, then hopefully I will be good to schedule it. I am finally back to eating solid food without nausea, so far. I’m praying it stays this way. 

Thank you so much for all of your advice and all the info :) It’s so nice knowing I’m not alone in this, because it sucks. I will definitely ask questions if I have any. But for now, I hope you are feeling well and you will be going home tomorrow if your BP stabilizes! 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:57 AM, Res Ipsa said:

Yikes. @Nana Trish I hope that you are doing better. You are in my best thoughts and prayers. 

I’m eating solid food again, so that definitely counts as doing better in my book, @Res Ipsa :) Thank you!!

On 6/26/2019 at 12:26 AM, LeeC said:

Eggs are only occasional for me.  I just had elective surgery (tummy and thigh tuck) and to avoid constipation I upped my intake of olive oil and butter.  Half a shot glass of olive oil with a little lemon juice in it really helps (twice a day), makes a great salad dressing too.  My other option is a pat of butter on a triscuit or salteen twice a day.

Thanks for the tips, @LeeC :) I will definitely give it a shot if I need extra help. I’ve actually been eating crackers with butter the last couple of days, but I have not tried the olive oil yet. 

I hope you are feeling well after your surgery! 

On 6/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, tracyringo said:

So sorry you are having these struggles.  Prayers for you.

Thank you, @tracyringo!! ❤️❤️❤️

I hope things are going better for you now, Trish! Constipation is the worst. Feel better!!:wub:

I hope things are going better for you now, Trish! Constipation is the worst. Feel better!!:wub: