Is it normal for it to be coming off like this?  I have not been out a week and already down 10 pounds....am I doing something wrong

Hi Robin :)

You are most likely dropping the water weight you gained from the IV fluids given to you during surgery. That is totally normal for this to happen. It will most likely slow down in a few days. Nothing to worry about, as long as you are getting your 64 ounces of fluids in and your protein. 

How are you feeling?

Edited by Nana Trish

Robin,

Relax. You are doing great.

Some weeks you will lose a lot of weight, and some weeks you will lose only a little weight (or even stall).  What is really important is to track your weight loss per month.

If you follow the post op diet, with gastric bypass you should expect to lose about ten pounds per month, but usually a bit more per month in the first month (and a bit less per month after about six to nine months).

Note that, in general, men lose weight faster than women, and gastric bypass patients lose weight faster than sleeve patients.  Also, as you approach your goal weight, you should expect your weight loss per month to slow down.

We are here to support you.  :)

Enjoy the ‘whooshes’ Robin because there’ll be tiny ‘puffs’ and sometimes nothing interspersed with them! I only lost a couple of pounds my first two weeks and then lost 15 in week three!  But if you average it all out over a month it was pretty consistent in the first 6 months or so.

But just think, whether it’s fluid, fat or whatever, that’s TEN WHOLE POUNDS GONE and you are allowed to celebrate!  

@robin0418 Be sure to record your measurements too. When the pounds aren’t moving, the inches have still come off, which to me is more important!

Edited by Boston Redhead

On 6/22/2019 at 9:03 PM, robin0418 said:

Is it normal for it to be coming off like this?  I have not been out a week and already down 10 pounds....am I doing something wrong

No worries, it's ok. Just enjoy this. So many people take longer to lose all the water weight from surgery. Just keep up the fluids and protein! Delighted for you. 

Just think of it as a 10 pound bag of flour you don’t have to carry around 24/7.  How are you doing?

32 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Just think of it as a 10 pound bag of flour you don’t have to carry around 24/7.  How are you doing?

That's funny.

My yardstick when I thought I wasn't losing as fast as I'd like was to use gallon bottles of water.  They weigh 8.34 lb but just carrying one around for a while made me realise just what a big deal losing a few pounds was.  One in each hand was exhausting .... no wonder my joints hurt.

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

41 minutes ago, cinwa said:

That's funny.

My yardstick when I thought I wasn't losing as fast as I'd like was to use gallon bottles of water.  They weigh 8.34 lb but just carrying one around for a while made me realise just what a big deal losing a few pounds was.  One in each hand was exhausting .... no wonder my joints hurt.

When I began losing weight after my weight loss surgery I used to convert my weight loss into 5 pound bags of sugar.  

Then after about six months of losing weight, I converted my weight loss into really heavy suitcases (44 pounds or 20 kilograms).  So losing 88 pounds is the equivalent of not having to carry two heavy suitcases with you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I sure hope so. I got home 7/1 which was a full 75hrs out of surgery and was down 13lbs.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:03 PM, robin0418 said: