Jen581791

Vacay time

I'm off to France for a walking trip, leaving this evening. We'll be walking from village to village, staying in hotels and B&Bs, but carrying our own gear this year instead of having it transported every day as we've done before. I feel a whole lot more confident about it than I did last year when I did a similar trip. I already know, for example, that getting in enough calories every day will be a bit of a struggle - I'll be walking 6+ hours per day (with a pack this year, so more calories to make up for, yikes) and also running when I can since I'm in the middle of marathon training, so I'll be burning a whole lot of them. My tricks include: carrying a few protein powder pouches for days I really need them, buying a jar of peanut butter as soon as I land, eating all the cheese, eating lots of peanuts, yogurt, and tuna pouches, and stuffing myself with pastries if I start feeling really low on energy. I'll probably be eating meat on this trip, as I did last year, just because there's almost no way to avoid it if I'm needing so many calories and I'm staying places without kitchens I can use. 

Anyway, I may not be checking in very regularly over the next couple few weeks, but rest assured I'm thinking of you all. Wish my feet luck: it's the blisters that will be my downfall if anything. 

I wish you a wonderful vacation Jen - France is one of my favourite vacation spots.

Have a wonderful time and take lots of photos.  

Have fun!  What area of France?  Our daughter went to high school in Limoges and then lived in Toulouse for 8 years before moving back here..  B and B’s were most fun.  

Wow. Have fun. We will be thinking of you. 

On 6/11/2019 at 6:15 AM, Jen581791 said:

... Wish my feet luck: it's the blisters that will be my downfall if anything. 

Socks. Have good socks...

Thanks, @cinwa @Cheesehead @Res Ipsa @BurgundyBoy

I’m on day three and all is well. We’re in the SW - our favorite area. We’re in Rocamadour for the night, which is always gorgeous but improves after the sun goes down and the tour buses leave. Started in Figeac and will work our way in loop-de-loops up towards Brive. 

Limoges is nearby, actually. I went to HS in La Rochelle for a year and university in Montpellier for a year, so I am a long-term Francophile :) 

The socks are treating me well so far, @BurgundyBoy. Two layers: good wool ones over the top of thin high tech ones. 

Eeee!!! I hope you are having a blast! As always, you are my hero. 

467C1456-DDB7-4525-933B-0F4CC9BBB6F3.jpeg

How is the food and the wine?  (Said with a lot of jealousy....)

Hope you’re having a fabulous time, Jen!!

Sounds awesome (especially the eating part...LOL!) can’t wait to hear how it went and to see some pictures! :)