Sign in to follow this  
JJC

Best vehicle for masking bitter meds Phase 2?

Hi!  I’m 4 days post op from my bypass.  Completely unrelated to the surgery, I’ve developed a skin infection on my face that requires antibiotics.  My doc prescribed a capsule so I could dump it in something.  The only problem is that it is SOOOO BITTER!  I have to do this for 10 days and I’m not sure how I’m going to make it.  I’m in the thick liquids phase and would really appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks!

Welcome to Thinner Times and congratulations on your recent RNY.

Sorry to hear that you're dealing with a skin infection - it might be worth trying the contents of a capsule in a spoon of sugar free preserves, jello, yogurt or if you're cleared for protein shakes, adding the antibiotic granules/powder to a little bit of shake in a shot glass might work.

It's also worth having a chat with your pharmacist to see what they'd suggest.

It also might be worth putting a call into your surgeon's office and asking if you could try taking the capsules as is.  I came home from surgery with prescription medication and had no problem taking them.

Can you thin out yogurt a bit?  Add it to flavored Greek yogurt?  I recently had to take an antibiotic and was told to make sure to eat a Greek yogurt everyday.  (Not a problem, I could live on the stuff)

On 6/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, JJC said:

Hi!  I’m 4 days post op from my bypass.  Completely unrelated to the surgery, I’ve developed a skin infection on my face that requires antibiotics.  My doc prescribed a capsule so I could dump it in something.  The only problem is that it is SOOOO BITTER!  I have to do this for 10 days and I’m not sure how I’m going to make it.  I’m in the thick liquids phase and would really appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks!

Two other potential solutions for you:

Add Splenda or another non-sugar sweetener. Bitter plus sweet might work for you.

Ask for a replacement pediatric liquid preparation, if it exists; they often have sugar in them but are formulated so that children will not balk at taking them. Since you will be on the antibiotic for only a short period (am guessing here...) the sugar should not be an issue in the larger context. 

Some pharmacies will compound oral meds with a flavored syrup, usually for kids but doesn't have to be.  My pharmacy has a list of flavors on their drive through window (I read this while waiting) and there are a couple of sugar free ones.  If you haven't found a solution to your problem by now you might ask.