Hello All,

I am a new member! I was referred to this awesome forum by my great supportive friend. I had my Gastric Bypass surgery on May 23rd, 2019. Since my operation, I've lost 9kg, and I am wondering if this is a normal amount to lose since my operation? Am I worrying too much about how much I should be losing? Thanks in advance! 

Welcome to Thinner Times Mariam!

You're down close to 20lb which is outstanding but as hard as it is, try not to compare yourself to others.  This is your journey.  But if it's any help, you've lost more than I did.

Hi Cinwa,

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate your encouragement!

-Mariam

Congrats on having the surgery !!   You are off to a great start !!  I only lost 14lbs the first month, so like @cinwa stated try not to compare, because this is your journey. 

Welcome to TT and the losers bench.

Welcome!

Congrats on your new journey.  This is not a race to see how fast you can get to goal or to see if you are losing more than others.  Stay on the path, stay on plan and develope new healthy eating habits so they are firmly in place when you get to your goal.  Stay on your plan and the weight will come off.

i only weighed every other Saturday (hubby hid the scale).  I didn’t want it discouraging me.  I never noticed stalls.  And it came off in chunks.  

Another thing it depends on; are you a lightweight or heavier?  If you have less to lose you may not drop large chunks at a time.  

Measure yourself, everything!  Ankles, thighs, wrist, calves, neck... when the loss slows measure yourself, if you aren’t dropping pounds you will be dropping inches..I was considered a “lightweight”. I dropped 12” in my chest area alone..

good luck on your journey..

Edited by Cheesehead

Welcome and congrats! -9kg since May 23 is outstanding! The important thing is to get your fluids and protein every day, which will speed up the healing, and to work on building habits. However fast or slow your body decides to shed the weight, if you're following doctor's orders, you will lose a whole bunch of weight. Building the good habits now is what will help you keep it off in the long term.

I hope you find some good info and support here. This forum has been the key for me in my time both pre- and post-op. 

Thank you all for your replies. I feel a heck of a lot better reading your responses. I have an appointment with my dietician and GP on Thursday for my first check in after the operation. Will be interesting to hear the tips they give.

On 6/10/2019 at 3:45 AM, Mariam said:

Hello All,

I am a new member! I was referred to this awesome forum by my great supportive friend. I had my Gastric Bypass surgery on May 23rd, 2019. Since my operation, I've lost 9kg, and I am wondering if this is a normal amount to lose since my operation? Am I worrying too much about how much I should be losing? Thanks in advance! 

M., you have already lost close to 8% of your body weight. You are doing great. This is not a race, it is a journey, and everyone loses at their own pace. Congratulations on having had the surgery!