Hey guys, just popping in to say hi and give you a quick update on what’s been going on over the past week or so. Ugh...

So last Wednesday I started having symptoms of that gastritis that I had back in March all over again. It happened exactly the same as last time, except this time I had severe pain in my pouch that went all the way through to my back. I ate my usual snack of fruit and yogurt, and about 15 minutes later I started to feel like I was going to dump. My heart started racing, I was sweating, foamies, SEVERE nausea, pain. So I took 1/2 Xanax and lay down preparing for a miserable hour or so. This was at 4pm Wednesday. After puking up foam all night long and not being able to eat or drink anything for 16 hours, I told hubby it was time to head back to the ER on Thursday morning. Again. I was supposed to have my 2 year check with my bariatric surgeon Thursday, so hubby called and cancelled that, and explained why. 

After a CT scan and an upper endoscopy both came back negative, my bariatric surgeon took over my case and decided to do exploratory surgery. Apparently I had a hernia, scar tissue that was binding my pouch to my peritineum, and a large diverticula that needed to come out. I had the surgery yesterday afternoon and got discharged this morning.

I am extremely grateful that my bariatric surgeon took charge, found the problems, and took care of them. I probably won’t be on for long today because I’m completely wiped out and in some pain from the surgery (funny thing is, this one hurt way more than my bypass). Hopefully I will have some more energy and be feeling better in a couple of days, and I’ll be able to come back and get caught up with what’s been going on with everybody :) 

I don’t miss the pre or immediately post op days one bit...6 days is a very long time to go without food. Probably didn’t help that I couldn’t even drink water. Thanks for listening guys ❤️

1 minute ago, Nana Trish said:

Hey guys, just popping in to say hi and give you a quick update on what’s been going on over the past week or so. Ugh...

I don’t miss the pre or immediately post op days one bit...6 days is a very long time to go without food. Probably didn’t help that I couldn’t even drink water. Thanks for listening guys ❤️

Holy Toledo! Nana, so sorry you were ill! (But delighted your surgeon took charge.)

110% with you. 

Aww @Nana Trish So sorry to hear of the craziness you had to deal with in the last few days :(  I am very glad you headed to the ER and that your bariatric surgeon was so quick and knowledgeable to fix this.  Please try to get some rest honey <3  Keep us updated xoxo

Oh my! So glad you got to the right people and got things taken care of! Scary!!!

Keep us updated as you can, Trish! :wub:

Great that your bariatric surgeon took the reigns Trish.

So glad they found and took care of the diverticula.  My mom had emergency surgery last year from diverticulitis.  She had infection in her abdominal wall and had to have a colostomy bag for six while she healed.  I’ve had bouts of it and my husband had emergency surgery for it. 

Glad they found it quickly instead of some doctor trying to guess!  Heal quickly Trish!

Sounds dreadful, so glad the worst is over and you are now on the mend.

So sorry !!   Hope you get to feeling much better soon.

16 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Holy Toledo! Nana, so sorry you were ill! (But delighted your surgeon took charge.)

110% with you. 

Thanks, BB ❤️

16 hours ago, TammyP said:

Aww @Nana Trish So sorry to hear of the craziness you had to deal with in the last few days :(  I am very glad you headed to the ER and that your bariatric surgeon was so quick and knowledgeable to fix this.  Please try to get some rest honey <3  Keep us updated xoxo

Thank you so much my sweet friend!! ❤️

My bariatric surgeon is amazing, he truly is. The hospital’s medical group director was basically blindsided by my surgeon taking me to the OR...he never consulted them. He said he watched, waited, and gave them a chance to make me better. After 4 days, he said I had suffered long enough and just took over. This surgery actually took longer than my WLS, lol. I’m just so blessed that I found him. Every time I have had any issue that I even thought MIGHT be related to my WLS, he has been right there for me. There will never be another like him, in my opinion. 

Im feeling better today so far :) Surgical pain is all but gone!! I’m just EXTREMELY exhausted, and very weak. I’m able to tolerate protein drinks and thickly puréed soups very well today, so hopefully I’ll get some strength. It’s tough to walk off the gas pains from surgery when you can barely stand, lol. 

xoxo ❤️:wub:❤️

16 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Oh my! So glad you got to the right people and got things taken care of! Scary!!!

Keep us updated as you can, Trish! :wub:

Thanks, my friend!! ❤️❤️❤️

15 hours ago, cinwa said:

Great that your bariatric surgeon took the reigns Trish.

It is, @cinwa...I really do love my surgeon!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

14 hours ago, Ro ro and Ollies mom said:

So glad they found and took care of the diverticula.  My mom had emergency surgery last year from diverticulitis.  She had infection in her abdominal wall and had to have a colostomy bag for six while she healed.  I’ve had bouts of it and my husband had emergency surgery for it. 

I’m glad they found and removed it too, @Ro ro and Ollies mom...thank you! I’ve suffered with diverticulitis several times, and I still have a lot of diverticulosis remaining, but I guess this section was pretty big and could have led to the whole colostomy awfulness if they left it in there and it became infected. I’m so sorry to hear that your mom had to deal with it, and that it runs in your family :wacko: It’s definitely not a pleasant thing to go through!

14 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Glad they found it quickly instead of some doctor trying to guess!  Heal quickly Trish!

Me too, @Cheesehead!! Thank you so much my friend!! ❤️

My goodness, trish!  Do you get frequent stay rewards at your hospital or do you just like hospitals that much?!?   Haha!  Be careful, your health insurance might try to drop you like car insurance will if you make too many claims....LOL

glad they figured what was going on and you got it fixed.  Now if you need anything else you might as well get it done this year bc surely you’ve met your deductible!!!

Feel better and stay out of trouble (medically speaking) ;)

49 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

My goodness, trish!  Do you get frequent stay rewards at your hospital or do you just like hospitals that much?!?   Haha!  Be careful, your health insurance might try to drop you like car insurance will if you make too many claims....LOL

glad they figured what was going on and you got it fixed.  Now if you need anything else you might as well get it done this year bc surely you’ve met your deductible!!!

Feel better and stay out of trouble (medically speaking) ;)

Lol, @CheeringCJ :) There has been talk of naming a wing of the hospital after me...I’m still waiting to hear the decision on that :lol:

Good Lord, I PRAY I can make it through the end of the year without needing to go back for anything other than routine labs, mammograms, etc!

I’m staying out of trouble as best I can right now...we have an apparent squirrel infestation, so hubby bought a squirrel trap. He tried it out today, and we have relocated 2 squirrels so far. I was actually able to shower, do some light housework, sweep all of those helicopter thingies off of my front porch, and do my checkbook today. Oh and eat!! I have an appetite!! I’ve been eating every 2 hours all day...I even ate an english muffin with peanut butter, and it was the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten! My weight is wayyy down there now, and I’m on a mission to gain :) 

16EE2F42-3143-4DB5-B9A9-E4EA8E91B8D2.jpeg

@Nana Trish

Pretty scrawny ankles there. Just think about that 336 starter weight. You are such a star. 

8 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Nana Trish

Pretty scrawny ankles there. Just think about that 336 starter weight. You are such a star. 

@BurgundyBoy...TOO scrawny now, lol! They look even smaller in person. My weight is about 15 pounds below my comfort zone, and I’m hoping that this whole mess is what has been causing the weight loss I’ve had since my knee surgeries. The way I’ve been eating today, I should gain that 15 pounds in no time!

That start weight was scary...I think of it as little as possible these days :) 

How have you and your Perfect Wife been getting along? I hope things have been well with you!! ❤️

7 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

TOO scrawny now, lol! They look even smaller in person. My weight is about 15 pounds below my comfort zone, and I’m hoping that this whole mess is what has been causing the weight loss I’ve had since my knee surgeries.

You must be feeling self-image whiplash. I'm sorry you're having this problem. What a strange problem to have at this moment of your life. Take good care of yourself and just keep eating healthy food in healthy quantities. You're still in Healthy BMI territory (19.2), so don't fret too much, but I can definitely see how you'd be a little alarmed. We're here to support you, whether you're weighing more or less than you feel is healthy for you. 

4 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

You must be feeling self-image whiplash. I'm sorry you're having this problem. What a strange problem to have at this moment of your life. Take good care of yourself and just keep eating healthy food in healthy quantities. You're still in Healthy BMI territory (19.2), so don't fret too much, but I can definitely see how you'd be a little alarmed. We're here to support you, whether you're weighing more or less than you feel is healthy for you. 

Self image whiplash...great description, @Jen581791 ❤️ That’s truly what it feels like!

Any time I’ve spent days on end with severe nausea and vomiting, and can’t eat, I generally allow myself 2-3 days to eat what I want once my appetite comes back. It always includes a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter, and some Club Crackers mini’s, while my tummy is readjusting to real food. Those things always taste good to me and are not harsh at all once I feel safe eating again. But I always START with protein shakes, lots of water, and puréed soups before I eat any solids. My portion sizes (quantities) are smaller at first, but generally go back to normal in a day or two. No worries, my friend :) I wouldn’t be worried at all about being able to gain it back, if I hadn’t been slowly but steadily losing weight since February. But I’m hoping this was the issue and not just the knee surgeries, because my diet has been back to normal for a few weeks now with no gains to speak of. So now I will be working closely with my NUT and surgeon to get back to a more comfortable, healthy looking weight. Right now, I kind of look like a skeleton with skin :blink: That I’m not pleased with at all.

Oh...but I was up to 121.2 this morning, so it’s a start.

Edited by Nana Trish

I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend Trish but don't overdo it - you've been through a lot this year.

On 6/5/2019 at 8:07 PM, Nana Trish said:

Lol, @CheeringCJ :) There has been talk of naming a wing of the hospital after me...I’m still waiting to hear the decision on that :lol:

Good Lord, I PRAY I can make it through the end of the year without needing to go back for anything other than routine labs, mammograms, etc!

I’m staying out of trouble as best I can right now...we have an apparent squirrel infestation, so hubby bought a squirrel trap. He tried it out today, and we have relocated 2 squirrels so far. I was actually able to shower, do some light housework, sweep all of those helicopter thingies off of my front porch, and do my checkbook today. Oh and eat!! I have an appetite!! I’ve been eating every 2 hours all day...I even ate an english muffin with peanut butter, and it was the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten! My weight is wayyy down there now, and I’m on a mission to gain :) 

016EE2F42-3143-4DB5-B9A9-E4EA8E91B8D2.jpeg

My you should post that bc I was just going to comment on the effects of being ill bc you were down to 125 (per side bar) but even lower...whew!  If you lose another 6#, you will have lost 2/3 of your starting weight!  Of course, not a fun way to lose weight so I will pass!  Glad youre sounding much better today and getting around a little more and getting hungry...may it continue (well, maybe for another 15#, but then you'd need to STOP being hungry!)

2 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

My you should post that bc I was just going to comment on the effects of being ill bc you were down to 125 (per side bar) but even lower...whew!  If you lose another 6#, you will have lost 2/3 of your starting weight!  Of course, not a fun way to lose weight so I will pass!  Glad youre sounding much better today and getting around a little more and getting hungry...may it continue (well, maybe for another 15#, but then you'd need to STOP being hungry!)

Yes, this weight loss has not been a welcome visitor, or should I say it’s been an intruder. I was perfectly happy in the low 140’s. I have a feeling this hernia has been around a while-just coincided with the first knee surgery is my thought. My capacity to eat normal “Trish” sized meals has been gone for months now. Lots of unfinished meals, food getting stuck, low appetite, and losing weight. I should have known it was something more than post op stuff. Now I do. And I actually don’t want the hunger to stop. I can control it, and I’m enjoying actually WANTING to eat. It’s literally been months since I wanted to. I’m allowing extra calories right now, but I will get back to normal on Monday. I’m hoping to be up to 130 by then, and once I am, I will reign in the “extra” calorie consumption. 

It’s nice being able to manipulate my diet to suit my needs, instead of it manipulating ME into eating things I don’t need. I like being in charge :) 

Quick update...

I’ve gotten my weight up to 124 pounds so far :) 

Food and liquids have been going down (and staying down) fairly comfortably up until lunchtime today. I popped a frozen Atkins meal in the microwave real quick since I was a bit busy for lunch (I’ve had a couple since surgery on Monday of different varieties, both Atkins), but this one was the Farmhouse Scramble meal (Eggs, cheese, sausage, peppers and onions). I ate 3 bites, and that was all I could get down. I had pain and it got stuck. NO NAUSEA, though. I don’t know if it was because it was heavier than the others I would normally eat. And I only bought that one because it was the only non carby Atkins meal they had at the grocery store today...otherwise it would have been one of the chicken or turkey ones. But I couldn’t eat anything at dinner time because my pouch was still hurting. So I threw some ice and a vanilla protein shake in the blender and had that for dinner. About a half hour ago, I was finally hungry enough to try some food, so I had sliced turkey breast lunch meat and a cheese stick. Went down fine, but now I’m starting to get some pain in my pouch again.

I’m PRAYING it’s just because that egg bowl was the wrong choice for my still healing pouch. I’m really just posting this because I’m feeling REALLY PTSD~ish at the moment where my pouch is concerned, and truly terrified this is going to come back. Realistically, I know that even if it was going to happen again, it wouldn’t be this soon after they fixed things in there. I guess I just need a little reassurance that being nervous about this is normal after the last week and a half I’ve just gone through. Plus, of course, I’m still not sleeping, so I’m just on edge about everything. HELP!!!