Newbie with a few questions

Hi all

I had a gastric bypass on the 1st of May and I am in the second week of the pureed food diet, I just thought I would ask a couple of questions to see if all is normal. I cannot really get use to pureeing everything so i have been having broths, cottage cheese, some pureed soups and jelly 

When eating at times i can really feel the food slowly going down my throat and most times i get a slight stomach ache after eating for up to 30 minutes, I was getting a little worried as I am about to go onto the soft food diet from Friday and was thinking if pureed foods do this what will courser foods do.

How long after surgery did you guys experience this sort of thing and how long does it last before i start to get worried?

Are you measuring your intake?  Or relying on the “full” feeling?

My clinic had us go from liquid to soft foods - no pureed stage. Do you notice if it does it more with things like cottage cheese than with broth or pureed soups? If so, it could just be the texture - especially if you're not chewing it (yes, you should even chew cottage cheese!). If not, it could be sugar content from foods giving you the stomach ache. If you're pureeing soups, especially canned soups, make sure the sugar content is very low. Some canned soups add sugar which might trigger dumping syndrome. For me, dumping feels like nausea and stomach cramping for about 30-45 minutes. Also, I'm assuming you mean sugar-free flavored gelatin when you say jelly, so make sure you're chewing that, too. I know it seems weird to chew really soft foods like that, but fresh out of surgery they can get stuck. Chew everything to applesauce consistency. 

If none of that sounds accurate or works, can you call and talk to staff where you had your bypass? They may have some insight. 

3 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

My clinic had us go from liquid to soft foods - no pureed stage. Do you notice if it does it more with things like cottage cheese than with broth or pureed soups? If so, it could just be the texture - especially if you're not chewing it (yes, you should even chew cottage cheese!). If not, it could be sugar content from foods giving you the stomach ache. If you're pureeing soups, especially canned soups, make sure the sugar content is very low. Some canned soups add sugar which might trigger dumping syndrome. For me, dumping feels like nausea and stomach cramping for about 30-45 minutes. Also, I'm assuming you mean sugar-free flavored gelatin when you say jelly, so make sure you're chewing that, too. I know it seems weird to chew really soft foods like that, but fresh out of surgery they can get stuck. Chew everything to applesauce consistency. 

If none of that sounds accurate or works, can you call and talk to staff where you had your bypass? They may have some insight. 

All excellent advice. 

@Cheesehead's question is great, too. If you're not measuring, you may just be taking in too much at once. It's sooooo hard to get used to the tiny portions. 

I didn't puree anything. It just seemed a bit weird to me, so I just ate really soft stuff (cottage cheese, beans, mushy soup) that I could basically puree with my teeth :D Go slowly and take it easy on your stomach. Stomach pain while you're healing and getting used to your new diet is tricky and unpleasant - for me,  it feels like a stuck or tight feeling up high in my chest or throat. If it hurts because the food is difficult, eat something easier. If it hurts because you've eaten too much at once, measure smaller portions. Eat one tiny bite and give your stomach 5 minutes to sit with it before eating another.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:05 AM, Cardamom77 said:

Hi , It does seem to happen more with things like cottage cheese and thicker type fluids, I am making sure i chew absolutely every thing.

My wife has become the sugar Nazi (NO SUGAR FOR YOU!) so everything that comes into the house now has very little sugar or none at all.I have had  a very , As with the Jelly yes it is  a sugar free version and not bad to be honest.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:41 AM, Jen581791 said:

All excellent advice. 

@Cheesehead's question is great, too. If you're not measuring, you may just be taking in too much at once. It's sooooo hard to get used to the tiny portions. 

I didn't puree anything. It just seemed a bit weird to me, so I just ate really soft stuff (cottage cheese, beans, mushy soup) that I could basically puree with my teeth :D Go slowly and take it easy on your stomach. Stomach pain while you're healing and getting used to your new diet is tricky and unpleasant - for me,  it feels like a stuck or tight feeling up high in my chest or throat. If it hurts because the food is difficult, eat something easier. If it hurts because you've eaten too much at once, measure smaller portions. Eat one tiny bite and give your stomach 5 minutes to sit with it before eating another.

Yes i get the stuck tights feeling as well, i am glade now i know this is part of the healing, i thought something else was wrong

I’m 6 days out from revision surgery and my plan is full fluids/purées for the first 4 weeks (rather than 2 weeks of full fluids then 2 weeks of purées like last time) and I really notice the difference between consuming the two different textures, purées definitely don’t go down so well!

i can reassure you though that will you will experience the myriad of weird and wonderful feelings as your new stomach heals, it can be quite nerve wracking at times (second time round is no different, even burping hurts!) but I guarantee most of what you are feeling is just that, a normal part of the healing process and it does get better (and easier) to get the food down as time goes on so don’t worry too much about the progression.

As others have said though, check in with your surgeons’s office if you’re concerned, I’m sure they get questions like this all the time, and sometimes reassurance from the professionals is what’s needed.

6 hours ago, glenncol said:

Yes i get the stuck tights feeling as well, i am glade now i know this is part of the healing, i thought something else was wrong

I think it's basically part of learning how to deal with your new eating style and your stomach's new preferences. When I get this now, I know I've done something "wrong" (eating something I know I have a hard time with, eating too much, not chewing well enough, eating too soon after the last time I ate, etc). When I got this in my first year out, it was more like a learning experience: I have this pain. How do I avoid it next time because it's awful! Now, I've learned the rules, so when I have an issue, I have basically brought it on myself... which doesn't mean it doesn't happen - it just means when it happens, I can look back and say, "Yeah, shouldn't have done that. I know better." 

Last week it was a couple of spoons full of Mexican rice. Rice and I are not friends anymore.

Iif you get the “stuck” feeling.  Papaya enzyme may help.  It’s a small chewable tablet.  It helps to dissolve whatever may be stuck.

14 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Iif you get the “stuck” feeling.  Papaya enzyme may help.  It’s a small chewable tablet.  It helps to dissolve whatever may be stuck.

I second the papaya enzyme! It works well for me. 

I third the papaya enzyme. Had my doubts at first but, it truly works. Also helps us to absorb nutrients better. 

On 5/31/2019 at 12:11 PM, Cheesehead said:

Cheers mate, but as usual you guys in the states have everything at hand, here in Australia things can be a little hard to get, i will search hi and low for them

5 hours ago, glenncol said:

Cheers mate, but as usual you guys in the states have everything at hand, here in Australia things can be a little hard to get, i will search hi and low for them

It's easy to get in Australia. I bought my first lot from Go Vita Health foods, I just happened to stroll I to one and ask...they had it. Since then I've just been buying cheaper brands off eBay.

On 5/27/2019 at 1:00 AM, glenncol said:

Hi all

I had a gastric bypass on the 1st of May and I am in the second week of the pureed food diet, I just thought I would ask a couple of questions to see if all is normal. I cannot really get use to pureeing everything so i have been having broths, cottage cheese, some pureed soups and jelly 

When eating at times i can really feel the food slowly going down my throat and most times i get a slight stomach ache after eating for up to 30 minutes, I was getting a little worried as I am about to go onto the soft food diet from Friday and was thinking if pureed foods do this what will courser foods do.

How long after surgery did you guys experience this sort of thing and how long does it last before i start to get worried?

This is pretty normal. Things do change, I had problems with boiled eggs for months after surgery, now they are no problem. Like you I did not personally puree food in a blender, but I did buy some pureed pea soups and the like. 

I've been known to say that your docs may have cleared you to advance to soft foods, but your body may not know that. ^_^ If you find that soft foods are a challenge, just focus on getting in enough protein and don't force yourself to eat everything on the soft list. 

2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I've been known to say that your docs may have cleared you to advance to soft foods, but your body may not know that. ^_^ If you find that soft foods are a challenge, just focus on getting in enough protein and don't force yourself to eat everything on the soft list. 

Ha, I like this! 

And @Aussie Bear I’ll be on the lookout for that, thanks for the tip!  (Your best tip ever though is the Bodiez Protein Water, so helpful!)

• 2 weeks later...