Cindy Lou Who

Traveling without a scale! Eeeek!!

I have a new hurdle coming my way next week. 

I'm travelling to Samoa for a month which will be a marvelous adventure. I'm travelling with my 17 year old son and also meeting a friend there for part of the time. We will be staying on three different islands and I'm expecting ALOT about my daily life will be different. Life will be alot more primitive, which I'm looking forward to. 

BUT..... no scale. And no Weight Watcher meetings. I am really scared about this. On one hand I think this is a good hurdle to learn how to cross, and I've been at a stable weight for almost 4 months, so this is probably good timing. But most of me is afraid. How will I know how to monitor myself each day? And will I use this as an excuse to gain? Someone at Weight Watchers suggested taking a belt with me and see if I can wear it at the same hole. But that doesn't seem like enough. When I put on weight, I put it on my backside and thighs first, so by the time a belt size would change, I would be WAY further down the gain road than I'd feel comfortable with. 

I don't know how much internet I'll have, so I don't know if I can rely on tracking on MFP. And, to be honest, I'm not sure I want to write down everything I eat. I guess I'm hoping I can self monitor without that. I've been monitoring myself through the scale and mirror for the last  few months and have liked obsessing a bit less over each bite. 

Any suggestions? 

Edited by Cindy Lou Who

Hi Cindy - I have traveled without a scale a few times since WLS, and I have to admit: it's mentally challenging, particularly at first. I've been fortunate to have self-regulated OK each time, though. I think you can do this. It does require thinking a bit about what you're eating - you may want to just bring a little pad of paper to write down what you eat, just for your peace of mind. I have a hard time regulating by just what feels like "enough," particularly if it's unusual food for me, or my daily routine is not in place, both of which are the case when you're on vacation. Writing things down helps me to see things a bit more clearly.

You can do this. Worst case scenario, you mess up a bit and gain a few pounds. Come home and get back at it, and you'll be fine. It's not like you can gain 80 pounds in a month - you won't be back where you started or anything. 

Have an awesome trip! Samoa sounds intriguing. Please share some thoughts about your travels once you're back :) 

Edited by Jen581791

3 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I think you can do this. It does require thinking a bit about what you're eating - you may want to just bring a little pad of paper to write down what you eat, just for your peace of mind. I have a hard time regulating by just what feels like "enough," particularly if it's unusual food for me, or my daily routine is not in place, both of which are the case when you're on vacation. Writing things down helps me to see things a bit more clearly.

Thank you for this. If you think I can do it, that helps me have a more positive attitude. I know alot of long-timers have travelled and are successful. And it helps to know that I'll have to be more vigilant so I'm realistic. One thing I'm grateful for is I don't feel like, "Oh yay, I'm going on vacation, I'm going to eat all the things I don't usually get to eat!" I feel like I already eat what I want most the time. I mean, I don't see myself binging on pastries or something like that because I would do that here if I wanted. But I don't like eating alot of carbs anymore. They make me feel weird. I'm more worried about the weight than the food, if that makes sense. I bet writing down my food on at least some of the days will help. 

I'm also worried about exercise. I know we will be active snorkeling, hiking a bit, and touring around. But I'm not sure it will be safe to go off and run by myself, and I'm sure we won't be around any gyms. But I guess all the more reason to write down what I eat. 

I am super excited about seeing Samoa. Lots of interesting culture and sights! 

Snorkeling is a lot of activity so that will be good. When trying something new determine if it is sweet or sticky and therefore may have more carbs.

You can do this and I bet you will lose inches or pounds while you are traveling.

Cindy one year ago during weight loss phase I had a wedding in Pa I went to, then we went on to D.C. and from there Ohio. We were gone a week or more and I didn't track during that time.  I didn't gain nor did I lose weight that week.  Try not to stress on it and have a great time on vacation, you deserve this.

I tend to be more vigilant on vacations.  I usually come back less than I went.  I bring string cheese (yes, ok without refrigeration), protein powder and bars.  Enjoy yourself.  

22 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Thank you for this. If you think I can do it, that helps me have a more positive attitude. I know alot of long-timers have travelled and are successful. And it helps to know that I'll have to be more vigilant so I'm realistic. One thing I'm grateful for is I don't feel like, "Oh yay, I'm going on vacation, I'm going to eat all the things I don't usually get to eat!" I feel like I already eat what I want most the time. I mean, I don't see myself binging on pastries or something like that because I would do that here if I wanted. But I don't like eating alot of carbs anymore. They make me feel weird. I'm more worried about the weight than the food, if that makes sense. I bet writing down my food on at least some of the days will help. 

I'm also worried about exercise. I know we will be active snorkeling, hiking a bit, and touring around. But I'm not sure it will be safe to go off and run by myself, and I'm sure we won't be around any gyms. But I guess all the more reason to write down what I eat. 

I am super excited about seeing Samoa. Lots of interesting culture and sights! 

Some movement, some general caution about food quantities, and you'll probably be fine. You can do it, scale and gym or no scale no gym. Just not having 75% of what I look forward to about vacation be eating is worth the price of admission with WLS, I swear. I just don't get excited by food like I used to. That alone is enough to keep me in the "OK" zone most of the time!! 

Snorkel and hike away and take a bunch of photos. I adore looking at other people's travel photos, and Samoa seems like a really magical place. 

3 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Just not having 75% of what I look forward to about vacation be eating is worth the price of admission with WLS, I swear. I just don't get excited by food like I used to. That alone is enough to keep me in the "OK" zone most of the time!! 

Yes!!! Great point!! Isn't it wonderful to be looking forward to snorkeling, hiking, paddle boarding, being with my son and friend and having the food that I'll be eating not really a big deal! YAY! Post WLS life is grand!!  I've been craving seafood all the time anyway, so I figure I'll load up on the different "F & F" (fish and fruits) that I wouldn't get here. That will make it fun, and keep my body feeling good.  

17 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I tend to be more vigilant on vacations.  I usually come back less than I went.  I bring string cheese (yes, ok without refrigeration), protein powder and bars.  Enjoy yourself.  

Good ideas on bringing some stuff with me. Thanks. Especially for breakfast. 

On 5/22/2019 at 12:14 PM, LeeC said:

When trying something new determine if it is sweet or sticky and therefore may have more carbs.

I like that - "sweet or sticky" = carbs. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Some movement, some general caution about food quantities, and you'll probably be fine. You can do it, scale and gym or no scale no gym. Just not having 75% of what I look forward to about vacation be eating is worth the price of admission with WLS, I swear. I just don't get excited by food like I used to. That alone is enough to keep me in the "OK" zone most of the time!! 

Snorkel and hike away and take a bunch of photos. I adore looking at other people's travel photos, and Samoa seems like a really magical place. 

I used to plan which restaurant we would go to every night.  Now we stay at places with our own kitchen and make our own.  In Bonaire in the fall I could live on gouda and apples.  Real gourmet, lol.  Both islands we go to; (Cayman in the spring) have cookies I treat myself to.  Cayman has awesome coconut macaroons and Bonaire has a Dutch cookie Stroopwaffles.  I allow myself to have one a day.  (I brought back stroopwaffles last fall for everyone.  I actually still have a package unopened in cupboard.  Back in the states they aren’t magical, lol.    Vacation is supposed to be fun and a little relaxed..when I get back I go immediately to the scale and close my eyes but it’s always lower than I left so I must do something right..

Enjoy the seafood!  

I hope you have an amazing trip, @Cindy Lou Who...and you’ve got this!! Scale or no scale, I’ve got complete confidence that you will be fine ❤️ It sounds like an incredible adventure, for sure!!

Thank you,  @Cheesehead and @Nana Trish for the words of encouragement. :D We leave tonight and I'm very excited! I've been stressed alot this week, but went to one more Weight Watcher meeting this morning (and had my official weigh in) and I think my head is in a good place. I can't wait to have all the new experiences! This is a good test for the rest of my life. I may not always be tied to my home scale, and I don't want to be! I keep thinking about how empowered I will feel when I get home and I've been successful with this new weight/maintenance challenge. I'll let you know how it goes!! 

I love your whole attitude, @Cindy Lou Who :) You are gonna kill this!! Try to remember to have fun too...this is not a test, it is actually the rest of your life. Right now!! It’s gonna be amazing!! ❤️❤️❤️

Think positive. Eat up the beauty of the islands! Drink tons of water. All the walking and standing sightseeing will help with not running. You can also choose to run a short safe stretch of beach say 1/4 mile, turn around and keep repeating. If it is on your resort it should be safe. It won't be as long as your regular run because sand is so much harder to run. You will come home with a one pound overall loss. Enjoy and please share pics I have always wanted to go there.