Nana Trish

It’s my 2 year surgiversary!

I truly can’t believe it’s been 2 years already!! The last 3+ months have been pretty challenging because of the knee replacement surgeries. I’ve lost a good bit of weight that I wasn’t trying to lose since my first surgery, so I’ve been trying to get my appetite back. But over all, I’ve got to say that from a weight loss and health perspective, I’m in a pretty good place...and a place I couldn’t even imagine 2 years ago today as they wheeled me into surgery for my WLS. No more diabetes, sleep apnea, high BP and cholesterol!! 

I really have more I want to write, and I will try and do that later on today. It’s 2am and I’m not sleeping (again) so this probably won’t be the most coherent post. But this is a pretty important day for me, and I wanted to make sure I came here to post a little something to celebrate ❤️ You all have been such a huge support system for me over the past 2 years, and there just aren’t enough words to express my gratitude for everything you have done for me!! I love you guys, and this forum, so much!! Thank you all for ALWAYS being here for me!! 

Trish, congrats on your two years! I'm so proud of you!!!:wub::wub::wub:

It has been my great pleasure to go on this journey with you and to see all the amazing changes you've experienced. It hasn't all been roses and rainbows and butterflies, but you have achieved some incredible health gains and have completely turned your life upside down in a good way. Your new healthy lifestyle allows you to spend more active quality time with those you love. Your horizons stretch further. Your future is bright! You have done such a great job of navigating the obstacles and managing the crises, and I feel really certain that you can continue on this healthy path. Take some time today to celebrate where you are, how far you've come, and all the work it took to get there. 

Congratulations!!  Your weight loss surgery journey has not been an easy one, but your kind spirit, perseverance, and success are inspirational to us all. It was my honor to meet you (and “Papa Trish”) in Boston last summer. 

Happy 2nd surgiversary Trish!

Know that you're always in our thoughts (and prayers).

Just now, cinwa said:

Happy 2nd surgiversary Trish!

Know that you're always in our thoughts (and prayers).

Thank you so much my dear friend!! ❤️❤️❤️ 

I owe you a message...I got behind yesterday because I had a very tough PT session...but I have a picture I want to post just for you. If you look closely enough, you'll see why...lol ❤️ 

Harper's feelings are so happy!!! I'll be in touch later this afternoon....I'm so overtired right now, ugh...gotta try and nap before Harper's father drops him off to me at noon. 

Thank you so very much for all of your friendship and support, @cinwa ❤️

IMG_4253.JPG

LOL!  I see that Harper is practicing with the Red Heart Scrubby yarn bath cloth that I sent him.  He truly is adorable.

Just now, cinwa said:

LOL!  I see that Harper is practicing with the Red Heart Scrubby yarn bath cloth that I sent him.  He truly is adorable.

He is!!! He opened it up and yelled...my feelings!! Then he climbed up on the bed and laid it across his leg, just like he did with the others, and said it helped his feelings!! (I really wish I knew exactly what he means when he says that...but it's just too cute for words!)  When I told him it was his to keep, he almost lost his mind, lol! He marched right upstairs with it and used it in his bath ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much, my friend..you made him one happy boy!!

Edited by Nana Trish

9 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

He is!!! He opened it up and yelled...my feelings!! Then he climbed up on the bed and laid it across his leg, just like he did with the others, and said it helped his feelings!! (I really wish I knew exactly what he means when he says that...but it's just too cute for words!)  When I told him it was his to keep, he almost lost his mind, lol! He marched right upstairs with it and used it in his bath ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much, my friend..you made him one happy boy!!

I think the credit lay on you and his parents Trish.  

Sadly, too many people park little ones in front of a TV (or computer) and leave them to their own devices when exploring the world of textures and smells, digging for worms, planting seeds and watching a spider make it web etc. etc. etc. opens up a wonderful world for them and it's so much fun.

Just now, cinwa said:

I think the credit lay on you and his parents Trish.  

Sadly, too many people park little ones in front of a TV (or computer) and leave them to their own devices when exploring the world of textures and smells, digging for worms, planting seeds and watching a spider make it web etc. etc. etc. opens up a wonderful world for them and it's so much fun.

It still boggles my mind the amount of people that are perfectly ok to just plop their kids in front of some electronic device all day long. Not only is it not good for the child, but we as parents and grand parents would miss out on so much precious time that could (and should) be spent learning all about our little ones and the amazing talents they have inside. We have a very unique opportunity to teach and learn from our kids in the first 5 years of their lives...before the school system digs their claws into the children. To not take advantage of every minute of that time is just wrong. I have been blessed with this amazing little boy, and I try not to waste even a minute of the time I spend with him. He's funny, and smart, and he really has a lot to say. Do we watch tv together? Yes...but it's not our lives. We build cities, create gorgeous drawings, we paint, sing, dance...and if the weather EVER gets better, we will be playing outside and going for walks!! I agree with you completely, and I want you to know just how much he loves his beautiful, hand made bath cloth. He really does!!

Big congratz dear @Nana Trish!  You have had so so many changes in the last 2 years!  You are the sweetest, kindest lady and I am so happy to have had the pleasure of hanging out with you and the many wonderful other peeps on TTF.  What a blessing this place is!  My 2 year surgiversary is next month!  Enjoy this special day - you earned it! <3 <3 <3

1 hour ago, TammyP said:

Big congratz dear @Nana Trish!  You have had so so many changes in the last 2 years!  You are the sweetest, kindest lady and I am so happy to have had the pleasure of hanging out with you and the many wonderful other peeps on TTF.  What a blessing this place is!  My 2 year surgiversary is next month!  Enjoy this special day - you earned it! <3 <3 <3

This place is definitely a blessing, @TammyP!! I am also very happy to have had the pleasure of getting to know you and all of the awesome folks here on the forum ❤️ I don’t think I realized that yours and my anniversaries were that close together!! Happy early surgiversary to you too, my friend!!

I am definitely enjoying my day today. I received a beautiful card in the mail today from a dear old friend from high school. We are friends on Facebook, but we haven’t seen each other in many years. I posted a picture of myself on Facebook of me wearing my new dress and saying how happy I was that I can shop off the rack, etc. My friend sent me a gift card to a beautiful vintage clothing store close to home, and said how proud she is of me and wanted to give me a gift to celebrate everything I’ve been through. I was bawling like a baby, lol. It was an amazing gift, and even more amazing that I received it today! The kindness people bring to my life never ceases to amaze me, and I’m thankful for all of it! I’m a pretty lucky girl ❤️

On 5/17/2019 at 9:23 AM, Nana Trish said:

It still boggles my mind the amount of people that are perfectly ok to just plop their kids in front of some electronic device all day long. Not only is it not good for the child, but we as parents and grand parents would miss out on so much precious time that could (and should) be spent learning all about our little ones and the amazing talents they have inside. We have a very unique opportunity to teach and learn from our kids in the first 5 years of their lives...before the school system digs their claws into the children. To not take advantage of every minute of that time is just wrong. I have been blessed with this amazing little boy, and I try not to waste even a minute of the time I spend with him. He's funny, and smart, and he really has a lot to say. Do we watch tv together? Yes...but it's not our lives. We build cities, create gorgeous drawings, we paint, sing, dance...and if the weather EVER gets better, we will be playing outside and going for walks!! I agree with you completely, and I want you to know just how much he loves his beautiful, hand made bath cloth. He really does!!

I don’t have time to add to the above, but yes, yes, YES!

Trish, I cannot believe it has been two years. It have been a gift to be able to walk this journey with you. Remember when @BurgundyBoy encouraged you to measure your steps in Trishes? Boy, those days seem far away. 

I have to run but I’m sending you all my love. 

16 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

I don’t have time to add to the above, but yes, yes, YES!

Trish, I cannot believe it has been two years. It have been a gift to be able to walk this journey with you. Remember when @BurgundyBoy encouraged you to measure your steps in Trishes? Boy, those days seem far away. 

I have to run but I’m sending you all my love. 

Thanks for the love, my friend!! ❤️

I will always remember @BurgundyBoy‘s “Trishes” measurements for walking!! Those days really do seem far away!! It’s amazing how much has changed in 2 years...not just my weight!! The wheel chair AND the walker are now put away for good!! All I use now is a cane, and in a few weeks I won’t even need that! It’s just unbelievable to me when I think about it...I’m truly blessed ❤️

Two years sure did fly by quickly !!   Congrats on all your successes.

You’ve done amazing!  So glad the walker and wheelchair are put away for good now!  Are you walking better with the bionic knees?

On 5/19/2019 at 8:02 AM, Nana Trish said:

Thanks for the love, my friend!! ❤️

I will always remember @BurgundyBoy‘s “Trishes” measurements for walking!! Those days really do seem far away!! It’s amazing how much has changed in 2 years...not just my weight!! The wheel chair AND the walker are now put away for good!! All I use now is a cane, and in a few weeks I won’t even need that! It’s just unbelievable to me when I think about it...I’m truly blessed ❤️

The wheelchair AND walker are put away for good? Trish, you have no idea how high my heart leapt when I read your words. I’m incredibly happy for you. 

73DD93A3-FD9D-4075-A21A-681678865738.jpeg

7 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

The wheelchair AND walker are put away for good? Trish, you have no idea how high my heart leapt when I read your words. I’m incredibly happy for you. 

73DD93A3-FD9D-4075-A21A-681678865738.jpeg

Thank you so much, Nerdy!! ❤️❤️❤️

My physical therapist told me to ditch the walker a week ago today, and I was cleared to start using the cane! I feel like I have so much more freedom now, I can’t even describe it! It’s amazing!! I’m still dealing with a lot of pain in the latest surgical knee (left) but I’m apparently having an issue with the axial-tibial band (? If I have the name of that wrong, someone please feel free to correct me, I’m still learning, lol) that is causing a lot of pain due to swelling. It’s a tendon-like thing that runs from (is attached to) the hip to just below the knee cap. Since I was basically completely sedentary for the years prior to surgery, it wasn’t getting used at all, so now it’s locked up. Any time I do PT or any exercise (I’ve been walking a LOT), it swells up and makes it hard to bend my knee. They are giving me exercises at PT to help, and they are massaging it as well. I may still have to go in for the manipulation, but I’m ok with it if that’s what ends up happening. Even with the pain though, my knees are not giving out on me anymore!! And I’m basically just using the cane for balance, not support :) So I’m ALMOST THERE!!!! 

@Nana Trish So good to hear of your progress! Am so happy for you!

(Now about those Trishes... you really have to get those no-good laze-about relatives of yours to get their paint brushes out and start marking your driveway... to mark your wheel-chair free life on those renewed/revised legs of yours!)

Thank you so much, @BurgundyBoy :) I’m very happy for me too!!

And yes, I know...I’d love to get one of my kids out there to paint my driveway to celebrate my progress!! Besides hubby, my son is the only one in the family that can truly understand the gravity of what I’ve been dealing with with my mobility issues. He is the only athletic person in the family...he has been a runner since middle school, and he still runs and does a lot of weight training. He’s 30 years old now. But even though he KNOWS what it takes physically to get to where I am right now from where I started, he still doesn’t “get it”...if that makes sense. So I don’t expect those lines to get painted anytime soon...but that’s ok. Because I know what I’ve been dealing with and going through, and I’m proud of MYSELF...maybe I will paint the lines myself!! :lol:

Congratulations @Nana Trish. Looking back it doesn't seem like two years, but so much has happened we know it was a very long time. I may not have spent anywhere near the time you did in a wheelchair or with a walker, but believe me when I say I know the sheer joy of parking them somewhere else. Mine are now resident in an assisted care facility with my 90+ year old parents. I doubt I'll ever be totally pain free on my feet, but walking is something I'll never take for granted again. I also love the fact that I didn't need to renew my disability parking permit when it last expired.

Thank you so much, my dear @Aussie Bear ❤️❤️❤️

It doesn't matter one bit that you didn’t spend as long a time with wheel chairs and walkers as I did. What you’ve been through with your foot, you totally get my happiness in being able to put them away!! I know I’m probably too early out to be saying this, because full healing with total knee replacements can take up to a year, but I don’t think I will ever be 100% pain free on my feet either. BUT...the pain that I’m dealing with now is so much less, if it didn’t get one bit better, I’d still consider this a complete success. And like you, I will never take walking for granted!! I don’t even have a limp anymore (well about 95% gone at this point), and that’s something I never thought I’d be able to say! And my disability parking pass is still good for I believe 3 more years, but unless my back gets a lot worse before then, and I mean A LOT, I won’t have to renew mine again either. I was actually just talking to hubby about that yesterday, and how exciting it will be not having to get another one! I do still have days that I may use mine after physical therapy, like yesterday...it was brutal, and I was hurting. But I’m generally finding myself asking hubby to park farther away from the building, and it almost makes me giggle like a kid. It’s so exciting being able to just walk. Grab my cane and go. So much freedom!! 

It sounds as if you've turned the corner Trish and can now embrace a more active future.  

My DH has been through several debilitating surgeries including a knee replacement that did not go smoothly so I have a glimmer of what you you went through both physically and mentally.

@cinwa, I imagine you have more than a glimmer of what I’ve been going through ❤️ You’ve told me what your hubby went through with his knee replacement alone and I can’t even imagine the pain he must have been in. Nothing about these knee replacements is pleasant, but when they don’t go as planned, it can get really bad. I feel for him :( 

I feel like I’m starting to turn a corner now. I’m also realizing that the full recovery, along with building muscle that I lost while I was inactive (as well as all the muscle wasting that took place during weight loss) is going to be a much bigger process than I first thought. Now that I’m able to do much more at physical therapy, I’m finding out just how physically weak I am. This should not be a surprise to me, but it is. I’ve spent the past few months daydreaming of getting out there and walking 5-6 miles a day like I used to. Thinking of actually joining a gym, even if it’s just to use the stationary bike and the leg press machines, because that’s part of my physical therapy and I enjoy both activities. But it’s so hard...a lot harder than I expected.

I suspect that the fact that I’m only averaging 2 hours of sleep per night is also a big part of this problem though, and I have no idea what to do about it. I’m so tired at this point, I can’t even see straight. I have well documented mental issues, but this lack of sleep is really making me batty. I spoke to my primary care doc a couple of months ago about this, and I asked him about melatonin. He said long term, it’s not a good thing to take, because it doesn’t give you the quality of sleep you need to function properly. But I seriously need something, like yesterday, so I may give it a shot anyway. (Edit: I bought some melatonin and I’m going to try it tomorrow night...I hope it works!!) 

As far as embracing a more active future...definitely!! I’ve been way more active since the first knee replacement than I have in many years!! After my PT appointments, twice a week, we swing by the local mall. We usually window shop/ walk for at least an hour during these visits. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but it’s huge compared to what I was doing/ was able to do prior to this. And yesterday, I took Harper outside to play...for the entire day!! It was so much fun, I can’t even put it into words :wub: I tired him out, lol...

EBF533DB-3FAA-4951-BC09-CD55F181066D.jpeg

70EF23EF-DE2D-496C-B254-923F56FC8FF0.jpeg

61C79262-DCC1-452A-B294-3603CF5B2F56.jpeg

Edited by Nana Trish

THAT warms my heart Trish.  That's what little ones should be doing instead of being stuck in front of the TV.  

On 5/17/2019 at 2:48 AM, Jen581791 said:

Trish, congrats on your two years! I'm so proud of you!!!:wub::wub::wub:

It has been my great pleasure to go on this journey with you and to see all the amazing changes you've experienced. It hasn't all been roses and rainbows and butterflies, but you have achieved some incredible health gains and have completely turned your life upside down in a good way. Your new healthy lifestyle allows you to spend more active quality time with those you love. Your horizons stretch further. Your future is bright! You have done such a great job of navigating the obstacles and managing the crises, and I feel really certain that you can continue on this healthy path. Take some time today to celebrate where you are, how far you've come, and all the work it took to get there. 

Thank you so much for all of this, @Jen581791 ❤️❤️❤️ I’m proud of myself too!!

No, this certainly has not been a journey filled with roses and rainbows and butterflies. But thankfully I was not expecting it to be. I knew it was going to be a lot of hard work. I didn’t expect some of the bumps in the road that have come along the way, that’s for sure. But I still believe, just as I did when I got my thyroid cancer diagnoses, that this is all happening just how it’s supposed to be happening. It’s like God is helping me tie up all of the loose ends, and removing the majority of the barriers that have been holding me back from becoming truly healthy. Your faith in me warms my heart, and it actually strengthens my faith in myself :wub: Thank you for that, too!! I’m glad you’ve been on this journey with me!