Jane Sloan

Do you keep a weight loss journal consistently?

Do you keep a weight loss journal consistently?  

2 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you keep a weight loss journal consistently?

• Yes
    • No
    • On and Off

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/18/2019 at 07:00 AM

My doctor has encouraged me to keep a consistent weight loss journal. I'm able to for a month or so, but tracking gets so tedious! Do you maintain one? Have you found other ways to keep track?

I keep track through the My Fitness Pal app.

I don't track consistently. I haven't since I had WLS. But I did weigh & measure my food until I hit goal and I'm a creature of habit (and was even more so when I was actively losing), so it was easy to figure out my daily calories. I did weigh myself every day during active weight loss and for a good six months after I got to my goal. Now I weigh myself a couple times a week, but mainly go by how my clothes fit. I have to say though, my biggest goal through all this was getting to the point where I felt normal. Obsessively tracking my food and weight doesn't feel normal (or healthy) to me. I don't want to be hyper focused on what I'm eating. When I was in the yo yo dieting cycle, I did track religiously and it constantly preoccupied my thoughts. So it was a very conscious choice on my part to not track after WLS. But that all said, I think keeping a food journal can be really helpful when you're just starting out and trying to develop new habits. It also can be eye opening to realize how many calories, carbs, etc food has if you've never paid attention to that kind of stuff. 

Like @athenarose, I kept a food journal during active losing and also weighed myself daily and tracked that. Now that I'm at a fairly stable weight and have a pretty good handle on how much and what to eat to maintain, I weigh myself a few times per week and track food intake only sporadically. Like on MFP, I will track closely for a week, then take a few weeks off. I do keep an exercise log now, though, to track that (on Strava). It just goes automatically from my Fitbit, though, so I'm not actually doing anything to log it.

Also, during my active losing period, I journaled on my blog quite a lot about how it was going and what I was feeling. That was also helpful. 

I guess it depends what you mean by a weight loss journal :)  I have a notebook that I have kept for the last 2.5 years which is simply my weight from my Saturday morning weigh-ins.  I have been pretty crazy about keeping that, but I am not a food tracker.  I think it's a good idea depending on where you are in your WL journey.

I don’t.  But do use my fitness pal to check caloric content from time to time.

i work in nutrition/food service so have a very good handle on portion size and can recite just about any caloric content of foods I eat (sometimes posses a problem when I ask hubby “Do you realize how many calories are in that?,”. I often eat similar things.  I also like that many restaurants post calories-it discourages some choices.  I eat a protein bar for breakfast mid morning, apple and Greek yogurt for lunch, 2 pieces of string cheese for afternoon snack and supper is usually chicken. At the month food isn’t interesting me, lol!  

Like @athenarose I often judge myself by how I am fitting into my clothes. Having said that - if I don't weigh myself on some consistent basis, I can drift up in weight. Now that I am in maintenance, three things are clearly important for me:

Being mindful 

Minimizing snacking in the evening - easy to eat high-density caloric foods like cheese, salami - if you are a snacker, keep celery in the house!!

Exercise 

I do keep a journal and have since the start of the 2 week liquid diet.  It really helped me in my journey to see how my body was losing, so I didn't give in or up. I would go 3 weeks and not lose, then BAM 7-10 pounds over a week to 10 days.  It was like getting a prize at the end for all my hard work and not giving up or in.  I also tracked my food with sparklepeople for 17 months, I no longer track but I am mindful of what I am eating in a day.  I still weigh daily and will for the rest of my life.  I cant have any surprises here.

Edited by tracyringo

Absolutely not. I've kept food logs in the past and became obsessive about it. This time around I have not logged a single meal let alone day, week or month.

I track my food daily when at home.  If traveling or gone fishing I may enter some date.  I weigh once a day, at least 5 out of 7 days.  It's what works for me.