NerdyToothpick

Can you tolerate spicy foods?

I’m a spicy food wennie. I started eating spicy foods when I lived in Texas and I loved it. I’ve never been a chili eater but mild spice was ok. 

Fast forward post GBS. I cannot eat anything spicy. Nada. I start to sneeze and my nose starts dripping. My tongue is on fire and I often give up my meal. I love Korean food, so this has been devastating.

Has this happened to any of you? Has your tolerance for spice gone down? 

I've never been a huge hot spicy food lover but I've noticed that since my WLS, I don't seem to care for it at all - especially chilli, sriracha, harissa etc.

Oh no! Tragic! I love spicy food and don't have any problems with it, fortunately. Funny how there's so much variance in how our bodies react. I still can't drink hot beverages or soup. They make me puke, like instantly. And I love a nice hot soup. And a cup of hot coffee. No more! Iced coffee and cold soup if any.

Sorry to hear about your spicy food probs :( 

I've never been a lover of highly spiced/hot foods so it's no big loss.

Cold food/beverages are a real problem though.  I can't eat or drink anything that's colder than room temperature.  It gives my pouch a toothache type sensation.

My love and tolerance for spicy food has not changed at all since my surgery. Ghost pepper salsa anyone?? :D

It’s crazy to see how different we have all reacted to WLS. I love cold beverages and am fine with hot beverages. I drink a ton of iced beverages because room temp liquids are no longer appealing. 

I miss my spicy foods...

On 5/16/2019 at 12:57 PM, Res Ipsa said:

My love and tolerance for spicy food has not changed at all since my surgery. Ghost pepper salsa anyone?? :D

I’ll raise you Trinidad scorpion pepper;). Grew them last year but may need to step it down as they made 2 people sick.  

I still love spicey.  I have 2 Mexican son in laws.  I just have to be careful things aren’t too hot since I can’t eat and drink.  Had Juan’s green tomatillo salsa tonight on pastore.  I could have drank it with a straw!  I often have fajita chicken for supper.