Jen581791

Apparently I'm crazy. Crazy about running.

So, a couple of work friends talked me into signing up for an Ultra Trail Marathon that will be happening in November (an ultra marathon is basically anything longer than a normal marathon, but this is a trail run, so throw in hiking for good measure). Apparently my progress in running has been sufficient to convince my co-workers that this is something I can handle... 31mi/50km up and then down a mountain, something like 2300m/8000ft of elevation? In 12 hours. It may kill me, but at least I'll die trying. 

Then, because I felt kind of stupid about having my very first race of any kind at all be an ultra marathon (wut?), I went ahead and signed up for a marathon in August as well. Because why not? I've been running enough lately that my normal weekly routine is basically halfway through an 18-week marathon training program, so of course that makes sense (!). 

My weekly mileage/kilometrage is around 30mi/50km, and I seem to be doing just fine and not getting injured or anything, so I guess I'll just hang in there and keep going. The thing is, I really enjoy running now, so committing to at least 6 more months of this seems like a nice idea to me, weirdly enough. I actually like it. 

I'm trying to imagine my three years ago self trying to wrap her head around the concept of running for fun. Let alone long distance running. Let alone very long distance running up a mountain. Yeah, I guess you could say that WLS has changed my life... :lol: 

Jen, I’m so proud to know you. You’ve always had an adventurous spirit, so it doesn’t surprise me that you are doing an Ultra. I can’t wait to hear more about your marathon adventures. 

Awesome! We need to connect on training practice. I did my first 5 k in October. At the end of April I did a 10 k. My daughter and I are signing up for a half marathon this October!!  I jog/walk, I am not one bit concerned about my time, all I want is to finish!  We will be jogging/walking 6 miles twice per week, 7-8 miles Saurday and Sunday's, and attend our yoga practice Tuesdday evenings. We also include weight resistance.  What is your training regimen looking like this summer?

You are my hero Jen!  

You truly have embraced the new life that being slimmer and more agile your WLS brought about and are living life to the hilt.

3 hours ago, Anita62 said:

Awesome! We need to connect on training practice. I did my first 5 k in October. At the end of April I did a 10 k. My daughter and I are signing up for a half marathon this October!!  I jog/walk, I am not one bit concerned about my time, all I want is to finish!  We will be jogging/walking 6 miles twice per week, 7-8 miles Saurday and Sunday's, and attend our yoga practice Tuesdday evenings. We also include weight resistance.  What is your training regimen looking like this summer?

Anita, that is so awesome, and having your daughter to do it with is amazing! I'm weirdly self-motivated so I haven't run any races yet, but I think for most people, signing up for races is really key to keeping up your motivation. That and an accountability partner! You've got both! :) 

I am doing sort of a combo of the two plans I'm linking to below, not being super strict on the exact distances of either, but sort of keeping track of making sure my numbers are between the two. I'm focusing on making sure my long runs are on point. That means tomorrow I will be running 25k for the first time. And every other week until the end of July, I'll be running the longest distance I've ever run (progressively longer every other week). Yikes! And I'm going to have to run while traveling this summer! So basically shorter runs 3-4 days per week, with one focused on speed, and one long run per week at an easy pace.

These plans are a little ambitious but I think I can handle them. If not, I'm OK with backing off and revising my goals down a notch. Both Runner's World and Hal Higdon have lower barrier "novice" plans that are a little gentler, as well as half marathon plans of varying levels of difficulty. There's another running plan guy who really pushes run/walk  which might be interesting to you. 

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a760131/rws-ultimate-marathon-schedule-sub-400/

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-2-marathon/

Best of luck on your training! I find that I enjoy it the most when I think about it as a fun activity that I get to do now that I'm thin. I avoid thinking about it like I "have to do it "or like I "should do it" or I "need to do it" or like I'm punishing myself or buying extra food intake with it. I'm enjoying having a fun body to move around in. Like driving a sports car after years behind the wheel of a gutless old minivan :lol: Zoom! Fun!

10 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Jen, I’m so proud to know you. You’ve always had an adventurous spirit, so it doesn’t surprise me that you are doing an Ultra. I can’t wait to hear more about your marathon adventures. 

Thanks for this! I'm a bit scared out of my mind, but I'll have buddies with me along the way to mentally help me through the fear. Well, for the ultra anyway. The marathon I'm all on my own! 

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

You are my hero Jen!  

You truly have embraced the new life that being slimmer and more agile your WLS brought about and are living life to the hilt.

Glad I can be somebody's hero! Believe me, I'm a little in awe of my own ambition at this point... ;) 

31 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Glad I can be somebody's hero! Believe me, I'm a little in awe of my own ambition at this point... ;) 

You have every right to be amazed at the turn-around in your life Jen.  For many of us, just walking any distance was a struggle pre-WLS.

WTG Jen !!    What an accomplishment :D

Wow!!  I am impressed!!

I know that I frequently preach here at TTF on the many benefits of leading an “active lifestyle” after weight loss surgery, but this is far more active than anything I would try. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, tracyringo said:

WTG Jen !!    What an accomplishment :D

The signing up part is easy. We'll see how I'm doing in August and November! :D 

In truth, though, I think I'll be OK. I'm working harder at this than I imagined I could, and I'm still enjoying it!

3 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Wow!!  I am impressed!!

I know that I frequently preach here at TTF on the many benefits of leading an “active lifestyle” after weight loss surgery, but this is far more active than anything I would try. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is active at a level I never thought I'd see, in my wildest dreams. Even a few months ago, I was like "A marathon? Why would anyone do that to themselves???" Now, though, a half marathon just seems like a good workout, oddly enough. 

I'm utterly amazed at the things you have accomplished, Jen. You really have taken life by the reigns and, well, run with it...lol! To say I'm impressed just doesn't seem strong enough. You really are my idol!  "A half marathon just seems like a good workout"... that BLOWS MY MIND!! I'm thrilled for you!! Not only because you can do it, but because you LIKE doing it!! ❤️ Amazing :)