Aussie Bear

Two years since RNY revision!!!!

Recommended Posts

Couldn't believe it when I saw the date today and realised it's two years since my RNY. Thankfully no regain so far, which if I'm honest is still my biggest concern. I'm seeing regain in others now that have had surgery since me, and counting my blessings that I had this forum keeping my head in the game. It's definitely taken a while but I do believe that I'm  seeing myself as I really am when I look in a mirror now. Life's definitely not perfect since surgery, but I doubt anyone's really is. Despite everything that has challenged me since surgery, I've still never regretted having my revision. I now know there will be more challenging times ahead with the likelihood of another surgery, but I'm just going to put my faith in my surgeon yet again and trust him and his intuition to lead me down the best path for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

Couldn't believe it when I saw the date today and realised it's two years since my RNY. Thankfully no regain so far, which if I'm honest is still my biggest concern. I'm seeing regain in others now that have had surgery since me, and counting my blessings that I had this forum keeping my head in the game. It's definitely taken a while but I do believe that I'm  seeing myself as I really am when I look in a mirror now. Life's definitely not perfect since surgery, but I doubt anyone's really is. Despite everything that has challenged me since surgery, I've still never regretted having my revision. I now know there will be more challenging times ahead with the likelihood of another surgery, but I'm just going to put my faith in my surgeon yet again and trust him and his intuition to lead me down the best path for myself.

GIANT, GIANT accomplishment!! Congratulations, @Aussie Bear! You are definitely a TT hero! It is extremely helpful for those of us newbies to see your discipline of "keeping your head in the game" and all your insight you share here. Thank you so much. Keep up the great work!! 

Your post also reminds me that as time goes by, other life challenges will arise, but it is possible to keep this success going. Celebrate this weekend!!! 

celebrate.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy 2nd Surgiversary Aussie Bear!  s0819.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ve done great!  Keep up the good work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy 2 years Aussie !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations.  Hope you are doing well. How are you doing with your own plan changes?  I know sometimes we are the ones who know what will work best.  Wishing you continued good health.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy 2nd Surgiversary, @Aussie Bear! I hope your health is doing really well. I love to hear of your successes :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kim M said:

Congratulations.  Hope you are doing well. How are you doing with your own plan changes?  I know sometimes we are the ones who know what will work best.  Wishing you continued good health.  

Thanks Kim. I wish I could say everything was going fine. Unfortunately the reactive hypoglycemia I've been plagued with since my revision is not resolving no matter what I try....the reality is that it's causing even more problems as I'm now experienceing hypoglycemic episodes even without eating carbohydrates.....I'm really struggling to find a workable solution. My surgeon tells me I'm also showing every sign of a twisted bowel, and at some stage am likely to require surgery to correct that. He told me he has actually been watching for specific signs of that in my case, because of all the corrective work they had to do during my revision as a result of scarring and adhesions caused by my open hysterectomy. He told me the day after my revision that it was really messy in my lower abdomen and that the two surgeons actually spent more time trying to sort that out than they did on the actual bypass part. Regardless of these issues, I still prefer life as a "skinny" person to life before my revision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Thanks Kim. I wish I could say everything was going fine. Unfortunately the reactive hypoglycemia I've been plagued with since my revision is not resolving no matter what I try....the reality is that it's causing even more problems as I'm now experienceing hypoglycemic episodes even without eating carbohydrates.....I'm really struggling to find a workable solution. My surgeon tells me I'm also showing every sign of a twisted bowel, and at some stage am likely to require surgery to correct that. He told me he has actually been watching for specific signs of that in my case, because of all the corrective work they had to do during my revision as a result of scarring and adhesions caused by my open hysterectomy. He told me the day after my revision that it was really messy in my lower abdomen and that the two surgeons actually spent more time trying to sort that out than they did on the actual bypass part. Regardless of these issues, I still prefer life as a "skinny" person to life before my revision.

So sorry to hear that despite your efforts your are still suffering.  Why do they think you have a twisted bowel?   Are you having symptoms?  You are brave with all your complications to still prefer this life to to the before surgery.  There was someone on the site quite awhile ago who also suffered terribly.  I wish I could remember her name.  She ended up doing a several of her bypass.  She was very ill and had to stop working etc.  If I remember, she was recovering slowly.  Maybe Cinwa would remember her name.  It might be helpful to read her story.  

Hope the doctors can find a way for you.  Sending you much healing energy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kim M said:

So sorry to hear that despite your efforts your are still suffering.  Why do they think you have a twisted bowel?   Are you having symptoms?  You are brave with all your complications to still prefer this life to to the before surgery.  There was someone on the site quite awhile ago who also suffered terribly.  I wish I could remember her name.  She ended up doing a several of her bypass.  She was very ill and had to stop working etc.  If I remember, she was recovering slowly.  Maybe Cinwa would remember her name.  It might be helpful to read her story.  

Hope the doctors can find a way for you.  Sending you much healing energy.  

That would be ktallon. She really did do it tough....whenever I start to feel sorry for myself I just have to think about what she went through and I know I've actually had it pretty easy.

Yes I do have very obvious symptoms of twisted bowel, and every other potential reason for those symptoms has been ruled out either by Radiology testing or by my own dietary changes. I was hoping it's simply a dietary change fix which was why I went grain-free for so long. My gyn had ordered ultrasounds because of a previous issue with endometrial cancer, hence the TAH BSO......I'm still in the 5 year followup  routine....although almost out of that thankfully. My bariatric surgeon was not very impressed he was the last person to hear about it!!! It's actually the first time he's been annoyed with me. Unfortunately they can only find the problem area when the symptoms are actually occurring.  At least now I have a timeframe of experiencing symptoms after which I've been told an ambulance must be called, and the surgeon has put instructions into my electronic record regarding what is to happen at the local ER if I do show up, along with involving the local surgical registrar in that process. He's not overly worried about it for now because it is clearly still able to untwist itself and it is very intermittent still. He has told me though that the day that stops it will mean an emergency surgery, and because of where I live that surgery can't happen locally so will require a Royal Flying Doctor airlift to a major city hospital. I don't intend to focus any energy worrying about it....whatever will be, will be....and he's onto it. I have every faith in my surgeon and more than happy to leave the ball in his court on this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your two year surgiversary, @Aussie Bear!! You have done a phenomenal job, ESPECIALLY with all of the obstacles that have been thrown at you!! I’m truly sorry to hear that the hypoglycemia and now a possible twisted bowel are plaguing you now. I pray there is SOME non surgical resolution to these issues, my friend. You rock, in spite of all of these things you have killed it with your weight loss, and no regain!! ❤️❤️❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Congratulations on your two year surgiversary, @Aussie Bear!! You have done a phenomenal job, ESPECIALLY with all of the obstacles that have been thrown at you!! I’m truly sorry to hear that the hypoglycemia and now a possible twisted bowel are plaguing you now. I pray there is SOME non surgical resolution to these issues, my friend. You rock, in spite of all of these things you have killed it with your weight loss, and no regain!! ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks Nana Trish. Interesting isn't it that all of us that are around the two year mark now are still reporting no significant regains... Maybe it's the magic of Thinner Times....we've all achieved great weightloss and all kept it off. We make it look easy even though we all know that it definitely wasn't easy!!!! The really challenging times are still to come according to my surgeon, but at least we're all approaching those times from a really good baseline now, along with loads of knowledge and support from those around us here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, @Aussie Bear, it is interesting that those of us knocking on the 2 year post op door are not reporting any significant regains. I fully believe that the magic of thinner times has a LOT to do with that! I know for a fact that this amazing support group is one of the biggest reasons I have been as successful as I have. It really does make all the difference when you have the support you need ❤️ 

Easy it definitely is NOT! But if we (as “old timers” now, lol) can bring the same level of support and friendship that we have received to the new folks, we can expect a new generation of successful TTF’ers to come up through the ranks! 

I’m so very proud of you and everything you have accomplished, my friend!

(In 11 days, I will be joining you in the 2 year club!!)

Edited by Nana Trish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big congratulations to you, Aussie! I am only at my one year mark but, I do understand already how much work goes into losing and maintaining after wls. 

Well done and I hope that I am able to do as well as you have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your success in the face of so many challenges is an inspiration to us all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hip hip hooray for your surgiversary! I’m pleased as punch to hear that you’ve kept the weight off. It really has been a success!

I’m sorry that you’ve had so many health complications. I’m keeping you in my thoughts for positive outcomes. ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 8:34 PM, Aussie Bear said:

That would be ktallon. She really did do it tough....whenever I start to feel sorry for myself I just have to think about what she went through and I know I've actually had it pretty easy.

Yes I do have very obvious symptoms of twisted bowel, and every other potential reason for those symptoms has been ruled out either by Radiology testing or by my own dietary changes. I was hoping it's simply a dietary change fix which was why I went grain-free for so long. My gyn had ordered ultrasounds because of a previous issue with endometrial cancer, hence the TAH BSO......I'm still in the 5 year followup  routine....although almost out of that thankfully. My bariatric surgeon was not very impressed he was the last person to hear about it!!! It's actually the first time he's been annoyed with me. Unfortunately they can only find the problem area when the symptoms are actually occurring.  At least now I have a timeframe of experiencing symptoms after which I've been told an ambulance must be called, and the surgeon has put instructions into my electronic record regarding what is to happen at the local ER if I do show up, along with involving the local surgical registrar in that process. He's not overly worried about it for now because it is clearly still able to untwist itself and it is very intermittent still. He has told me though that the day that stops it will mean an emergency surgery, and because of where I live that surgery can't happen locally so will require a Royal Flying Doctor airlift to a major city hospital. I don't intend to focus any energy worrying about it....whatever will be, will be....and he's onto it. I have every faith in my surgeon and more than happy to leave the ball in his court on this issue.

It sounds like you are in good hands with your doctors. They seem to be working as a team which is unusually these days.  I know we have to be our on advocate and sometimes think outside the box.  

Worry is a wasted emotion.  It puts us in waiting mode and takes away all we have in the present moment.  You know what has to happen in the event of an emergency so therefore, you have a plan.  Hoping you can find some relief for the hypoglycemia. 

Congratulations on your 2 years and continue to ask for support.  Wishing you a magnificent year ahead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...