ktallon

Struggling a bit

Okay so here is my dilemma i am finally able to eat and drink (knock on wood) with no issues. Despite this not being my first go around i find that i am struggling to maintain my fluid and protein goals. Its like if i get my minimum of 64 oz in then i am not getting in enough protein or vice versa. I have only been off TPN for a few weeks but have already had to go get fluids due to dehydration. Advice on how i can get both in much appreciated. Also i am in maintenance now. Help lol

Try these:  liquid (water) and protein all in one

2B53A312-AD77-42B3-A177-D212225C05A1.jpeg

Edited by CheeringCJ

They aren’t bad.  Can buy cases at Sam’s Club.  How about protein shakes?  They count as protein and liquid.  The ready to drink shakes have 30 gr of protein.  11 oz of liquid..  

@CheeringCJ where can you find those at? @Cheesehead for the life of me i can not get protein shakes down (i immediately gag them back up which is terrible because i love premier protein) so im trying to find other alternatives until this aversion goes away. 

Bone broth might be another one that would help. You can buy it in jars at the grocery store or in powder form. The powder form I use has 10 grams of protein to mix with 8 ounces of water. That way you'll have a cold choice and a warm choice so you can sip whichever your little pouch desires. :P 

Edited by Cindy Lou Who

In terms of increasing your liquids, the secret is to find a drink that you like to drink and that has little or no calories.  Then try to drink that drink as frequently as possible beginning in the morning until you reach your liquid goal. I find that I just cannot “chug” normal water, it just seems “heavy”.  But Vitamin Water Zero (especially the orange and lemon aid flavors) is a drink that I can chug all day long - and when bought on sale at a supermarket it is not expensive. Alternative, I like to drink unsweetened iced tea, Bai 5 drinks (without carbonation), and normal water with a twist of lemon or lime.

Of course, I like wine too but chugging it all day probably is unwise. :D

In terms of protein, if protein shakes are not sitting well in your stomach, then try whatever sources of lean protein that you like - e.g., cheese, Greek yoghurt, or sliced deli meats like ham or turkey breast. Also try Carnation Essentials no sugar added mix - made with your own skim milk. You can buy Carnation Essentials mix in most supermarkets. I love the chocolate flavor  

16 hours ago, ktallon said:

@CheeringCJ where can you find those at? @Cheesehead for the life of me i can not get protein shakes down (i immediately gag them back up which is terrible because i love premier protein) so im trying to find other alternatives until this aversion goes away. 

You can get the, at Walmart or amazon or like @Cheeseheadsaid, at Sam’s club in a case. They aren’t thick so that shouldn’t be a problem like the shakea are. Also you can buy the powder shake mix and make them with water instead of milk and water them down even more to tolerate. Also if you can drink milk, try fairlife. If you can tolerate yogurt get the Skyr Icelandic yogurt which has more protein than Greek yogurt. It’s thick and creamy so you might have to add a little to thin it out if it bothers you.  Keep up posted. 

I like protein2O drinks but they are sweet so I have to cut them with water. 

On 4/6/2019 at 5:43 PM, ktallon said:

Okay so here is my dilemma i am finally able to eat and drink (knock on wood) with no issues. Despite this not being my first go around i find that i am struggling to maintain my fluid and protein goals. Its like if i get my minimum of 64 oz in then i am not getting in enough protein or vice versa. I have only been off TPN for a few weeks but have already had to go get fluids due to dehydration. Advice on how i can get both in much appreciated. Also i am in maintenance now. Help lol

I keep Greek yogurt around for this purpose... high protein, and only semi-solid. I sprinkle some non-sugar sweetener on top. I think the recommendation for bone broth is a good one, can just heat it up and sip it like tea!