Nana Trish

Out of surgery!

I came out of surgery around noon, and I’ve already been out of bed and gone for a walk :D

No nausea, yay!! Feeling great ❤️

Awesome!  You are an amazing woman, Trish!  David sure does love you, you are a blessed woman!

Thank you, @CheeringCJ!!

I’m truly blessed, indeed...David does love me, and he shows me daily ❤️

Today is my birthday, and I’m having his delicious meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner tonight :) Yes, I said mashed potatoes, lol. I really enjoy being able to have a nice treat like this once in a while since I’ve been in maintenance, and it doesn’t hurt that David is an amazing cook ❤️

t3304.gif Trish!  

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

t3304.gif Trish!  

Thank you, @cinwa!!! ❤️❤️❤️

11 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Thank you, @CheeringCJ!!

Today is my birthday, and I’m having his delicious meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner tonight :) Yes, I said mashed potatoes, lol. I really enjoy being able to have a nice treat like this once in a while since I’ve been in maintenance, and it doesn’t hurt that David is an amazing cook ❤️

Well have a wonderful birthday and enjoy the mashed potatoes!!!  (And glad you treasure Papa Trish like you do!). I have the same kind of husband, so I know how you feel.  Mine loves me to death and tells/shows me daily too.  Most days I feel I don’t deserve him :) ...plus he loves to cook also (which is awesome bc I HATE it!) 

How’s your knee pain?  Does it seem better or worse than your last knee?  So glad it is over and now all you have to do is recover and strengthen it!

Edited by CheeringCJ

13 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Thank you, @CheeringCJ!!

Happy Birthday.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  

On 4/6/2019 at 1:06 PM, Nana Trish said:

Thank you, @CheeringCJ!!

Happy birthday and speedy recovery! I hope you enjoyed your meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Treats like that are a sign you're comfortably in maintenance.

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Happy birthday and speedy recovery! I hope you enjoyed your meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Treats like that are a sign you're comfortably in maintenance.

Thank you for the well wishes, Jen :) 

I did enjoy some meatloaf and mashed potatoes. The last time I had this was for David’s birthday in December, so I don’t make a habit of it, lol...but I’m quite comfortably in maintenance at this point. I just can’t wait to get “my normal” appetite back. Since I had the first surgery I haven’t been able to eat as much as I could before, and I’ve been steadily losing weight because of it. And I’m not looking to lose anymore, so I’ll be happy when this passes.

23 hours ago, Kim M said:

Happy Birthday.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  

Thank you, Kim!!

On 4/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, CheeringCJ said:

Well have a wonderful birthday and enjoy the mashed potatoes!!!  (And glad you treasure Papa Trish like you do!). I have the same kind of husband, so I know how you feel.  Mine loves me to death and tells/shows me daily too.  Most days I feel I don’t deserve him :) ...plus he loves to cook also (which is awesome bc I HATE it!) 

How’s your knee pain?  Does it seem better or worse than your last knee?  So glad it is over and now all you have to do is recover and strengthen it!

Thank you, CJ!!

I did enjoy the mashed potatoes :) And the meatloaf. Just small portions, even for me, lol. 

The knee pain is pretty intense, just like last time. I’m experiencing the same excessive swelling that I did in the right knee, but the muscle weakness seems worse in this knee. But I’m definitely glad it’s over too, and I’m looking forward to the days the pain starts to ease up and PT gets easier. I can’t do much of anything in the way of PT just yet, but I know now that it takes time. 

@Nana Trish

Glad you did okay with the surgery (and had mash!)

8 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Nana Trish

Glad you did okay with the surgery (and had mash!)

Thanks, @BurgundyBoy :) 

I did do well with surgery, and thoroughly enjoyed my bites of mash, lol! I was surprised I was able to eat any of it, as my appetite after surgery leaves a lot to be desired. I’m actually having a 2-3ish ounce portion of leftover meatloaf for dinner tonight (no mash though)...I’m anxious to see how much I will be able to eat. Recovery is slow going, but the same as last time, so knowing what to expect helps a little anyway :) 

@Nana Trish Can you give us an update on how you are doing?  You are in our best thoughts and prayers as you recover from your latest surgery. 

5 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

@Nana Trish Can you give us an update on how you are doing?  You are in our best thoughts and prayers as you recover from your latest surgery. 

Thank you so much for asking how I’m doing, @Res Ipsa ❤️

I haven't been here much because I’m struggling a bit. Well, a lot actually. I do enough whining on here and don’t like to be a downer, so I’ve been trying to get through it without coming here to complain. But this is where things stand so far. I have had more excessive swelling in this leg than I did in the other one. To the point that wearing the compression stockings is causing my feet to go numb, so I can’t wear them right now. I’m bruised from hip to ankle, and I have a large hematoma to the right of my incision, which is keeping me from being able to bend my knee much at all. The physical therapist is only having me do edema eliminating exercises right now, because I physically can’t do anything else as far as PT goes. They tell me that this is a somewhat common complication caused by the tourniquet they have to use on my leg during the surgery. It’s in place for about an hour. Of course my case is severe...why would it not be, right? Ugh..

The way it was explained to me is that it can bind, or clog, the blood vessels and ducts(?) that allow blood and fluid to drain from my leg under normal circumstances. So between the exercises I CAN do, and with certain massage techniques, it is supposed to start reducing the swelling soon. But the pain has been pretty bad, and the meds they gave me aren’t helping. I’m having my staples removed tomorrow afternoon, so I will have a chance to have it looked at again. The hematoma is twice the size it was 3 days ago, so I’m glad I’m being seen tomorrow. I’ve been fighting off some depression, and a LOT of frustration. I’m trying to stay positive, but that’s getting tough at this point. 

I did have X-rays taken of both knees in my surgeon’s office 3 days ago though, and the new knees themselves look great. And I know I will feel a lot better once things start moving in there. Some days it’s just hard to keep my head up, but I AM trying. 

So that’s where I am at the moment. I thank you again so much for asking, even though I’m pretty sure you’re sorry you did now, lol. I’m attaching a couple of pictures just to give some idea of the swelling I’ve got.

606008BF-3A9D-4CD6-BC70-56F4EF5897F9.jpeg

7C6E8DD0-D261-4C58-93A9-0F6306867E71.jpeg

C32FC8D9-0F80-40CA-8F11-57E9215757DB.jpeg

54FC026E-E895-4383-96D5-A36B9B33A310.jpeg

Thank you for the update. I am not sorry that I asked, as I now know how to focus my best thoughts and prayers in your direction. The path for you medically after your weight loss surgery has been (to put it mildly) “bumpy” but you have always gotten better after every set back, and you will get better after this one. Plus soon you should be able to begin really walking on your two new knees. 

We are here to support you. :)

I'm not sorry you posted about your current difficulties with the second knee replacement either Trish - you're a part of the T-T family - we care when one of our members is going through a difficult time - regardless of what it is.

Oh my, Trish I'm sure that is painful!  I hope you get some relief soon and the swelling is under control!  Sending healing thoughts your way!

I was just going to ask you how you were recuperating and I found this post.  Sorry it has been a little rough but that is to be expected as you’ve had two major joints completely replaced in the past few months so go easy on yourself!  One is major enough of a recovery.  Two is double hard. It will be easier later on when you don’t have to do the second one bc it is already done and you’ll be glad but right now it is a lot of suffering through it just to get to the other side.  The swelling is a lot but will go down. If you could only see what ones body goes through to get that kind of surgery you wouldn’t be so surprised that it hurts so bad or is so swollen trying to get back to normal (and, no, I don’t recommend you look for it on line bc it is pretty gruesome!)   

When this passes you’ll be thrilled and you’ll walk many Trishes down your drive and beyond, but for now it just stinks being stuck where you are.  It won’t be forever though...keep following dr’s orders (give us an update from your visit today when you can) and go easy on yourself and take care.  {{{{HUGS}}}

Yikes, Trish! It looks like you're suffering from this round of surgery, too :( Please don't worry about "being a downer" here - we all just want to support you, whatever your current health status. I hope your leg feels better soon. You could use some pain-free time! Hugs from a distance.

Much love and hugs to you @Nana Trish!  I hate that you are in all this discomfort. :/  I hope and pray day by day the swelling and pain lessens, and you will have two awesome knees and wow much skinny legs!  You are a fighter and you've got this sweetie! <3  Praying for you <3

You guys are just the best...thank you so much for all of this wonderful support! @Res Ipsa and @cinwa, I know you aren’t sorry that you’ve asked, and that I’ve posted about my struggles ❤️ That was the depression talking when I wrote that. Knowing that you all care so much really does pull me through these tough times! @TammyP, @Jen581791, @msmarymac, and @CheeringCJ...hugs to you all!! Giant hugs!!! All of the prayers and love mean everything to me! 

I had my staples removed on Monday, which was uncomfortable, but they are gone. The PA took like 3 of them out and waited for a minute to make sure that the swelling was not going to cause the incision to open up. Thank God it didn’t. The swelling has gone down a little, and i can move my leg a little more than I could up to this point. They want to see me in 2 weeks to see if my range of motion starts to improve with PT, and if it doesn’t (it’s pretty limited right now) they are talking about having to put me under and manipulate this knee like they did my other one during surgery. That just means knocking me out and breaking up scar tissue, and whatever else is keeping me from having a normal range of motion. So for now, I continue with the edema elimination exercises and icing/elevating, walking as much as I can, etc. I was able to get up and fold laundry this morning as well as do a handful of dishes, so at least that’s progress :) 

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Hope it continues to get better, Dear @Nana Trish! Sorry you're having the complications! Keep you chin up and know we are all here for you! :wub:

On 4/17/2019 at 6:06 PM, Cindy Lou Who said:

Hope it continues to get better, Dear @Nana Trish! Sorry you're having the complications! Keep you chin up and know we are all here for you! :wub:

Thank you, Miss @Cindy Lou Who!! Keeping my chin up, definitely! I absolutely know you all are here for me, my friend ❤️ Thank you :wub: