bellamoma

well hey!

Hey, @bellamoma - so sorry to hear about the ongoing GERD issues.  The regain sucks too, but if it's partly muscle you probably DO need it!  And it will help you ward off any greater regain, so there's that, too. 

Just wanted to say, as a person who had such severe GERD before bypass that I had Barrett's Esophagus (precursor to cellular changes that MIGHT have led to cancer) - it's really nothing to mess around with.  It absolutely ruled out the sleeve for me  (I went in knowing that, and my surgeon told me he wouldn't have done a sleeve for me under those circumstances anyway.) And I'm kind of glad, because a sleeve would have been my first choice and I think for me, it would have been the wrong choice.

I know revision surgery is serious business, but if it's what it takes to get you off the acid meds, I think you should go for it. As you said, ongoing GERD meds are nothing to play around with, and ongoing GERD is such a horrible and stressful thing to deal with anyway.  I remember that misery well, and you deserve a better life than that!!!

hello @Kio! so nice to hear from you :wub:

thank you for your kind words. I see my GI doc tomorrow.  I live in a different state now so I will be going to a different practice.  I'm nervous about it all but I have to push through to take care of things before things progress.  Barrett's esophagus is indeed very dangerous and I'm glad you took the steps you need to heal it.  Scary stuff indeed! In a way, though, it has saved you from my plight.  I was so bent on not having bypass that i didn't look at the big, long term picture.  Ah well, you live and you learn.  Thanks again for the encouragement xo 

@bellamoma just checking in to find out what happened and how you are doing?

Hey @tracyringo  Things went ok.  The GI doc I saw is in a totally different state and health system then my bariatric doc.  He was not keen about revision surgery.  He wanted me to get an endoscopy to see where things stand at the moment with my GERD.  I scheduled it, but then they called me to tell me it would cost  $1600.00  I think that's ridiculous ( we have good insurance and pay about $900 a month on top of what my husband's employer subsidizes.  So I canceled it.  I'll have to stay on Nexium for now and hope for the best! Thank you again for checking in on me :) 

6 hours ago, bellamoma said:

Hey @tracyringo  Things went ok.  The GI doc I saw is in a totally different state and health system then my bariatric doc.  He was not keen about revision surgery.  He wanted me to get an endoscopy to see where things stand at the moment with my GERD.  I scheduled it, but then they called me to tell me it would cost  $1600.00  I think that's ridiculous ( we have good insurance and pay about $900 a month on top of what my husband's employer subsidizes.  So I canceled it.  I'll have to stay on Nexium for now and hope for the best! Thank you again for checking in on me :) 

That is ridiculous!  Sorry you can’t have it now, but glad the nexium can help for now

So sorry you were not able to have the scope.  Health care is too expensive for sure.