siobhain

Help! Which iron supplement.?...

We are coming to the USA in May to do a New Orleans-Charleston road trip(SO excited)

Supplements are really expensive over here so I intend to buy some iron and vit D.

Can anyone recommend a really good iron if your iron stores(ferritin) is low? I have bought at Wal-Mart,CVS and GMC in the past.

Glad of any advice please?

Just use the search function. There are lots of threads with really good information regarding iron supplements.  Sorry, I can't help you at all.... I have the opposite problem with super high ferritin. 

Iron is typically absorbed in the duodenum and proximal small intestine but this part of the intestine is typically 'bypassed' In a RNY.

This post is from another thread on the same topic:

Carbonyl (and/or polysaccharide iron) -  it's the least abdominally distressing (for me and most bariatric patients I know) and is 100% bioavailable so if you take 60 mg of carbonyl or polysaccharide iron, you'll get 60 mg of iron unlike other forms of iron.  

Ferrous fumarate has approximately 33% elemental iron.
Ferrous sulfate has 20% elemental iron.
Ferrous gluconate has 12% elemental iron.

I have been having Restless Leg Syndrome which a neurology Nurse Practitioner finally solved by getting my ferritin to a high normal.  Everyone else was perplexed that just getting it up to "normal" didn't fix it, and put me on meds for it that caused compulsive eating and shopping behaviors but I digress. 

The iron supplement that finally worked to get my ferritin to "high normal" is called Integra.  It is a combination of Ferrous Fumarate and Polysaccaride plus has some Vitamin C thrown in to help absorption.  It does not cause GI distress for me.  The Fumarate form is supposed to more rapidly help hemoglobin (mine is always normal so now its really high normal), and the Polysaccaride is supposed to be more helpful for Ferritin.

I should just get some Polysaccaride now that things have leveled out probably.  I started on Integra because we had samples of it at work plus a really good coupon to order more.  Then, when it was working I didn't want to mess with a good thing you know.

So, probably shopping at one of the stores you mentioned I'd go with the Polysaccaride.

Enjoy your road trip, sounds like so much fun!!

Thank you all for those gems of information. I had all this at my fingertips 11 years ago when I had the bypass.Its surprising how quickly we forget......