Jane Sloan

What has been your experience with hunger post surgery?

I just read that gastric bypass can alter the hunger hormone composition in your body, which is really interesting. Apparently, after surgery, you're hormones will allow you to avoid crazy hunger pangs.

Have you found this to be true in your experience? Did it fade with time and go back to how it used to be?

I found it to be true except that I went through a short spell of not sticking with weighing/measuring dense foods which I can only think stretched my pouch.

But I did the pouch reset diet and then went back to planning, weighing and measuring and that's what I do to this day.

I believe my real hunger signals have pretty much gone. I eat to a schedule these says because I need to. Skipping meals/snacks is something I really notice in energy levels. I can get dizzy and unsteady on my feet if I skip meals, and I definitely need to eat before any exercise...even a walk. However, all that controlled appetite goes out the window if I eat high GI carbs....after those it's a free for all!!!!

On 3/21/2019 at 12:55 PM, Jane Sloan said:

I just read that gastric bypass can alter the hunger hormone composition in your body, which is really interesting. Apparently, after surgery, you're hormones will allow you to avoid crazy hunger pangs.

Have you found this to be true in your experience? Did it fade with time and go back to how it used to be?

Am 2 years out - in general do NOT have hunger pangs - and I only get hungry in one of two circumstances:

- True hunger where I've not eaten in a long time. 

- If I am foolish enough to eat a lot of carbohydrates and no protein/fat - I get hungry a few hours later. I think is part of the carbohydrate-induced metabolic cycle of low-> high insulin 

In other words, am just like @Aussie Bear!

Very rarely do I have real hunger.  But when I do, it’s the I can eat anything in sight type.  I’ve actually forgotten to eat Easter dinner.  I made a huge meal, then got busy hiding eggs, we did a kids hunt and 500 eggs for the adult kids.  That night at 9:00 I realized I hadn’t eaten.  I pretty much have a schedule for eating.  I know, it’s hard to wrap your head around pre surgery.  

Okay so I am a VSG er and I thought that RNY ers still had their stomachs and therefore still had hunger pains ?    Where as the VSG ers not so much

2 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Okay so I am a VSG er and I thought that RNY ers still had their stomachs and therefore still had hunger pains ?    Where as the VSG ers not so much

While sleevers have that section of the stomach removed where ghrehlin production is most prominent thereby reducing their hunger initially,  RNYers have other unexplained hormonal changes due to bypassed intestine. The body is such a clever biological factory though that it does eventually learn to produce these hormones elsewhere.  I'm told that happens earlier with sleeve surgery than bypass, but I'm not even close to an expert on this stuff. According to research I've read, that would explain the three year regain trigger point for sleeve as opposed to the five year danger period for RNY.

I'm two years out, and like @BurgundyBoy and @Aussie Bear, I don't really get hungry, per se, just low energy and dizzy. I also don't have those intrusive thoughts about food that I used to (fixated on a particular thing I want, etc), unless I eat a lot of carbs. That keeps me away from carbs! :) It's very freeing to live a life not controlled by food or thoughts of food.

RNY patient here... I don't get hungry yet, and I'm about a year and a half out.  I do feel low blood sugary sometimes, or just sort of run down which lets me know I need fuel.  But I don't get that gnawing stomach-hunger feeling anymore.

However, I have to say, if hungry was my only problem, I never would have gotten fat.  90% of the crap I ate before surgery and all my life was because it looked like it would taste good and I wanted it - not because I was hungry!

Edited by Kio
typos galore

I had my RNY back in 2007 and to this day, I do not feel any sensation of hunger as I once knew it.  The only sign I get when I go past my usual eating times is a lot of tummy gurgling.

This was interesting and a lot to take in.

Kind of can't wait to see what it'll be like for myself as time passes after I get it done.