Kio

still here!

Hi everybody!

I haven't been around much, but wanted to say I'm still out here, still (mostly) on track.  I say mostly because I've had a pretty hard week or so just now.  I'm having a LOT of intermittent abdominal pain from what is most likely a diverticulitis attack, and I've spent the past three days eating either nothing at all, or plain crackers, because that's all my sad little guts can handle.  Dairy is right out, as is any other form of protein.  On the bright side, my calorie intake is so low I'm losing weight again?  Er, yay? Diverticulitis is something I had some experience with even before surgery, so it's unrelated to my gastric bypass if that's what it is.  I'm having some tests done, and that's the prime suspect. 

The other possibility is gallstones, but I'm betting not; it's just too much like what I've had to deal with in the past - the same pain, that comes and goes in the same way, and all the same gurgling and burping and suchlike. Hopefully I'll know more soon; right now, all I can say is all the blood tests they ordered came back normal.  I've got ultrasounds coming up next week.  But the worst (knock on wood) seems to have passed.  At least, I'm hoping so!

Other than that issue, I'm just keeping on program and doing my thing.  I miss you guys when I'm not around, and as soon as this situation passes, I'll try to be around more!

Many hugs.  :)

Edited by Kio

Hope you get to feeling better soon

I missed you too!!!!  So glad you are back! Prayers for good test results.

Hope they can get it straightened out!

We missed you.  I hope that your health gets a lot better soon.  

It's good to see you on the forum again Kio but I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with an abdominal issue.  I hope they get to the bottom of it quickly.

Get better! I hope that everything clears up for you quickly :wub:

Get better soon!! Glad to know you're still around B)

@Kio ❤️❤️❤️

Hi!!! It's great to see you!!! But I'm worried about you :( If you have diverticulitis, you shouldn't be waiting a week for testing, my friend!! My last flare up was a year and a half ago, and my bloodwork was good, except for a slight blood count elevation. But my CT showed the culprit, and in the hospital I went for 4 days. If you don't feel any better, or God forbid you feel worse, please don't wait for a week to get further testing done ❤️ 

Please keep us updated on how you're doing!! Miss you, and hope to see you in Boston again this summer my friend!!

Please tell me that if they suspect diverticulitis, they at least put you on antibiotics? 

Edited by Nana Trish

I was about to hunt you down, when I finally had time to spend time here to!  Glad to hear you’re doing ok plan wise, but sorry about the internal issues. Hopefully they figure it out asap and get you treated!  Don’t totally rule out GB yet....many ppl develop gallstones when they lose a lot of weight (I don’t have to worry about it this time, i had mine out after i lost weight w/ phen-fen!).  Although you know you best and having had the diverticulitis flare up before you know what it feels like.  

Keep us posted and hopefully you feel better asap!  160??? You were right,...you are chasing me down and catching up (down!)....good for you!!!!

3 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

@Kio ❤️❤️❤️

Hi!!! It's great to see you!!! But I'm worried about you :( If you have diverticulitis, you shouldn't be waiting a week for testing, my friend!! My last flare up was a year and a half ago, and my bloodwork was good, except for a slight blood count elevation. But my CT showed the culprit, and in the hospital I went for 4 days. If you don't feel any better, or God forbid you feel worse, please don't wait for a week to get further testing done ❤️ 

Please keep us updated on how you're doing!! Miss you, and hope to see you in Boston again this summer my friend!!

Please tell me that if they suspect diverticulitis, they at least put you on antibiotics? 

Hi Trish!!

If it's diverticulitis, I don't think it's a very bad case.  I'm not running a fever, anyway - it's just random pain.  I'm really hoping the tests happen EARLY this week because I'd like to know what's going on!  I'll be fine for hours, or a full day, and then suddenly ow again.

Since they haven't called me about the tests yet (ugh) I'm definitely going to bug them first thing tomorrow!  (they have NOT started me on antibiotics yet... hmmm.... I'll call my doc and ask about that, too!)

Thank you for saying the words "Boston" and "summer" in the same sentence - that made my day.  I'll be there!!!

@Kio Hope you are better soon! 

So, quick update - the verdict is gallstones!  At least one, probably more.  So it's coming out - and fast!  Monday is the day.  The same surgeon who did my RNY is going to do the honors.  I'm super excited to put this past couple of weeks behind me!

I'm also a little nervous, though, about what life without a gallbladder will be like.  I'm told I should avoid fat as much as possible for the first month, but after that life should return to normal - would those of you who've had this done say that's true?  If not, anecdotes welcome!

I know three people who have had their gall bladder removed, and they have each told me that after the first month they have no side effects from living without a gall bladder. 

I had mine done a few years ago (before my sleeve), and was given no directions as to eating or avoiding certain foods. Once I recovered from the surgery, I felt 100% better.

advice: do not have the surgery while you’re in an active gb attack.

I didn't have any ill effects from having my gallbladder out.  

No problems when mine was removed either. The one thing people said to me was to avoid acidic foods for the first month. I don't know if that made a difference or not because mine came out during my first WLS. I've never had any issues with fats though.

Well, all this has made one thing clear to me:  ALL the coolest kids have no gallbladder!  I'm about to join an elite crew!  :D

On 3/14/2019 at 8:17 PM, Kio said:

Well, all this has made one thing clear to me:  ALL the coolest kids have no gallbladder!  I'm about to join an elite crew!  :D

Hmmm, I have waited 52 years to be one of the cool kids!!!!! Hahaha!    

Do I get your copay for helping diagnose you? Haha!

Seriously I had NO side effects/after effects from losing my GB......I noticed absolutely no difference!  It was much easier and less painful than my WLS.  (My biggest pain in my WLS was the incision on my waist that they pulled the stomach out,  didn’t have that w/ my GB which was smaller than my stomach i would assume.   (Had it laparoscopically). I had my surgery during Christmas break so i wouldn’t have to get a sitter for my kids.  I had it 12/22 and was back to work 1/2 when the kids went back and i was perfectly fine. Of course that was 20 years ago, and they have probably approved since then even.

Good luck w/ your surgery and you’ll certainly be glad to be beyond the attacks!  Keep us posted!

Edited by CheeringCJ

Hey guys, just letting you all know I'm out of surgery and back home.  Also on the very good drugs.  I'm having more pain than I did from my RNY, actually - with that I never got the collar-bone/shoulders gas pain everyone described, but with this one I'm definitely having a bunch of it.

The doc said surgery could not have gone better, they got it all out in one piece (which doesn't always  happen) and there was definitely one big stone about the size of a marble/ given size and shape they're sure that's what has been causing my pain.  So crossing fingers that this WAS the cause, and I'll be better in a couple of days!

That's good to hear Kio.  Here's to having a quick recovery.

Don't forget to keep up with your fluids and get some regular short walking in.  That helped me a lot.

Do take care @Kio....glad it is over and done and I hope the gas disapates asap!!!  (((Hugs)))

So glad you're done and home! I'm sorry to hear about the pain. I suppose if walk walk walk is the way to get rid of the gas pain after WLS, it's the same after gall bladder surgery?? Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Here are some Awkward Yeti gallbladder cartoons to keep you entertained as you rest up.

gall-bladder.png

fDcvrUJ.jpg

011618_GallbladderANewHope.jpg

110316_ReverseCholecystectomy.png

On 3/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, Kio said:

So, quick update - the verdict is gallstones!  At least one, probably more.  So it's coming out - and fast!  Monday is the day.  The same surgeon who did my RNY is going to do the honors.  I'm super excited to put this past couple of weeks behind me!

I'm also a little nervous, though, about what life without a gallbladder will be like.  I'm told I should avoid fat as much as possible for the first month, but after that life should return to normal - would those of you who've had this done say that's true?  If not, anecdotes welcome!

I had my gallbladder out at the same time they did my RNY.  I haven't seemed to have any issues with anything cheese (my pcp warned me I might) or anything. I avoid super fatty foods as a normal practice, but when I sneak a tator tot or french fry (literally 1) my tummy and then digestive system isn't happy with me, so I avoid those now as well or else just suffer for a minute. LOL  If I had too much I suppose it would be quite evident as it seems to be for my mom who had emergency gallbladder surgery a couple years after her RNY.  Her @*# explodes (but to be fair - she didn't have any support or "program" to follow after her surgery so she eats what she wants and pays the consequences) and she isn't too happy with that.

I forgot to mention that red meat is one of the only meats I can tolerate and they tell you that is one of the foods to avoid after gallbladder surgery. So I eat a lot of it (steak, ground beef, etc) and it doesn't seem to be any type of a problem for me.  :)  I'm almost 4 mos out now. Of course everyone is different, but you may find that some things haven't changed and some have.  You'll be thankful that it is out though!  :wub: