Sign in to follow this  
LadyFLrebotTX

Revision Buddy

I am going from gastric sleeve to gastric bypass. Looking for someone who is going or who has gone down this road.  Not looking for anything but postive support. I will also provide postive support. 

Hi,

I just want some to chat with about this process of starting over. Like, how did you decide that it was time to be revised? What is the biggest difference between the two WLS so far for you? How do feel about your decision now? What do you struggle with today?

Thank you so much!

I revised from the old fashioned stomach stapling to RNY. I'll start with the easiest question....the decision was made for me when it was discovered that my old stapleline had ripped apart. The biggest difference between the two surgeries was firstly the RNY actually works and was performed laprascopically,  my first surgery was open. Also these days there is far more information available as well as ongoing support. The hardest thing for me to deal with though has been the reactive hypoglycemia I developed pretty much immediately after surgery, and the ongoing health issues that causes me. I'm on more prescribed medications now than I ever was before my revision. Results wise though, I'm actually a "healthy BMI" these days, which I never came close too with my first surgery. I was only watching a Dr Matthew Weiner video on revisions last night and he claims revision to bypass is very effective after lapband (which is probably the most similar to my original surgery than the others), and has limited effectiveness for regain if revising from a sleeve or original bypass....he reckons only about 20lbs extra loss and some patients actually gain!!!! I assume though, like anything, what you put in effort wise helps determine what you get out of it. I lost 100% of my excess weight, and that's also not what surgeons expect. Sometimes I wonder where they pull their statistics from.

Edited by Aussie Bear

17 hours ago, LadyFLrebotTX said:

I just want some to chat with about this process of starting over. Like, how did you decide that it was time to be revised? What is the biggest difference between the two WLS so far for you? How do feel about your decision now? What do you struggle with today?

I was a "reflux-conversion". Quality of life was severly diminished by reflux disorder. Also my band had started to migrate into my stomach.

What I struggle with today is still some reflux (although it's not comparable to what it was before revision) and some intolerances. Some foods seem to be associated with reflux. For me that is the classic red wine, hard-to-stomach-fats and it's interestingly enough also dairy.

5 hours ago, summerset said:

I was a "reflux-conversion". Quality of life was severly diminished by reflux disorder. Also my band had started to migrate into my stomach.

What I struggle with today is still some reflux (although it's not comparable to what it was before revision) and some intolerances. Some foods seem to be associated with reflux. For me that is the classic red wine, hard-to-stomach-fats and it's interestingly enough also dairy.

Interesting that they recommended MGB with existing reflux. Mine ruled out MGB due to my existing reflux issues....hence why I had RNY instead.....no reflux issues since then other than when I had issues with systemic thrush.

I have refulx now. I am trying to sleep. My sleeve is deformed which is an issue. My hernia is another issue. I give myself alot of credit for going to see a new doctor. This has not been easy! 

8 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Interesting that they recommended MGB with existing reflux. Mine ruled out MGB due to my existing reflux issues....

Yes, there was a reason I went for MGB instead of RNY. I don't want to write down my whole history when it comes to this reflux stuff but I decided together with the surgeon that MGB would be the better choice in this case. However, there is still the possibility to convert to RNY if necessary but I have no issues with bile reflux so far and the last EGD showed that my esophagus has fully healed.

When it comes to RNY and reflux surgeons told me that I have a chance of 80% that I can live without reflux medication and without symptoms. Well, I'm obviously in the 20% category but when avoiding above mentioned food it's ok and as long as I don't have volume reflux or esophagus problems another surgery is out of the question for me.