.:princesszelda:.

375 days since my surgery

Hey everyone!

I meant to post this on February 22nd, 2019, but I got busy with graduate school and work got busy as well. So, it may be a little late for this, but better late than never! 

I had the biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch bariatric surgery on February 22nd, 2018. Today is March 4th, 2019. So, it has been 375 days or 53 weeks and 4 days or 1 year and 10 days since I have had my surgery. On the day of surgery, I weighed in at 333.2 lbs. When I weighed myself on February 23rd, 2019, I weighed in at 189.4 lbs. My BMI on the day of surgery was 55.4, which, according to some online BMI calculators, would put me in the Obese Class 3 : Morbid Obesity category. My BMI on February 23rd, 2019, was 31.51, which, according to some online Bmi calculators, would put me in the Obese Class 1 category. Since surgery, I have lost about 143.8 lbs. I am happy and excited about this? Of course I am! HOWEVER, I am slightly upset and disappointed. My goal was to lose 150 lbs in a year and I was 6.2 lbs away from that goal. Were there times that I could have worked a lot harder and I would have most definitely lost well over 150 lbs in a year? Of course! But I also cannot help but be disappointed as well. 

My ultimate goal is to be anywhere between 111 (which would put me at a BMI of 18.5) and 149.5 (which would put me at a BMI of 24.9). I would be happy if I were to be anywhere between 150 lbs (which would put me at a BMI of 25.0) and 175 lbs (which would put me at a BMI of 29.1). This lady that goes to the church I go to is also a nurse at the same hospital that I had my surgery at and she suggested that for a female of my height and age (I am almost 25 years old and I am about 5 feet 5 inches tall) should be anywhere between 130 lbs and 150 lbs. I do not remember the exact number, but I do remember her saying a weight in the 130 range is ideal. 

To be honest, I still cannot believe I am below 200 lbs. The last time I was below 200 lbs was in grade school (like sometime between 4th and 8th grade). A couple of weeks ago, I actually found an ID card I had in grade school and I think it was from when I was in either 2nd or 4th grade and I was about 130 something lbs. It is crazy to even think that I am at a weight that I was at in grade school. A couple of weeks ago, my dad was showing me a picture of myself a couple of weeks before I had surgery and I was almost unrecognizable. It was as if I was looking at a completely different person. I honestly cannot believe I was ever that heavy, but sadly, I was that heavy. I find it kind of funny how when I was obese, I had the hardest time finding clothes big enough to fit me and actually having enough clothes that fit me. So, now, I am having the exact same issue, but this time around, I am actually having hard time having enough clothes that actually fit me because they are too big! For example, I bought this pair of "plus size skinny jeans" (in a size 18W or 16W) at the mall, like a week before Christmas of last year. For like a month after I had bought those jeans, they were really tight especially around my hips, butt, and thighs. However, now, they are not tight anymore! I have about 3-5 pairs of "plus size skinny jeans" that are either a size 18W or 16W and all pairs are too big and I have to wear a belt just to keep my jeans from falling down. I mean they are not completely loose to the point that they fall down to my ankles, but I have to keep pulling my pants up. 

One thing I have noticed is that my confidence levels are a lot higher than they have ever been in years. I do not want to say that my weight loss has played a significant role, but I think that losing weight has played a huge role in my confidence levels. I can tell (my dad has also noticed this as well) that I am feeling a little better and confident about myself because I am wearing a lot more of smaller clothing (not super tight, but tighter than I would normally go for).

Always feel great about yourself. DONT allow food to change that!!you are doing great!

FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm so happy for you! You are really rocking this thing! Congratulations on your success so far. You are so right to look back and revel in your accomplishments! Realizing how far you've come helps you keep your eye on the ball in the future. You are doing such a great job. I bet all your good habits are helping your success. Keep it up! 

One more thing - 243 pounds in one year!?! That's incredible! That's 2.75 pounds each week for an entire year!!! You wouldn't have wanted to have lost any faster than that. Please don't beat yourself up about the 6 pounds that were only part of an arbitrary number. You won the battle this year!

Your losses are amazing! Congrats on your great job so far - maintenance will be just around the corner :) Happy one year surgiversary.

Don't allow missing your arbitrary goal of -150 in your first year determine how you feel about your successes. The goals you should feel happy about meeting are behavior goals, since you can control those. Deadline milestone goals aren't really up to you - your body will lose how it loses, and you can't really control the rate, so why get worked up about it? Focus on cultivating good habits. That's what will help you in the long run. 

Finding yourself at a size you haven't been since childhood can be pretty bewildering, but really exciting. Enjoy where you are, even as you aim for your goals.