Hi! I’m Dana. I am 34 and new here. I was diagnosed with PCOS In 1999 and I’ve been struggling ever since. I’m in the very beginning stages of getting a sleeve. I know a few people who have had it in the last few years and were successful. My goal is to finally be able to get to a healthy weight doing weight watchers / calorie counting which I’ve always failed at because my hunger is insatiable with the pcos. I want to eat what I would like to have with my family in moderation and eat and lose like a normal person as long as all food is counted. I found many people on the Facebook groups to be very judgy and negative. They attacked me about wanting to eat small portions with my new tool of what I want to eat that my family is enjoying. I hope it isn’t like that here. I am not looking for a way to go hog wild and still lose. I simply need a tool to allow me to be successful in eating less and better. 

AE1974B4-BBC0-4D67-82AC-B099185F46AE.jpeg

Edited by ItalianPrincess1985

Welcome to Thinner Times Dana!

Welcome!  This is a great place.  Feel free to ask questions.  We have all been there.  

You may find that your taste change, that your eating style may change.  I’m at goal.  I can basically eat anything I want.  But I will often look forward to something special, just to say, nah.  I don’t eat pasta (I view it as high calorie and there’s no nutrition in it).  I love Mexican food (I also have 2 Mexican sons in laws; one of whom is a good cook). They often grill their Mexican meats and use corn tortillas as a lower calorie option).  I make casseroles for my family but pull the protein out (I no longer like eggs or hamburger a taste change).  We eat a lot of chicken.  I find I like salsa as a low cal condiment.  

When I first began my journey; I couldn’t imagine not eating certain things.  But many things are no longer important to me.  Many days food just is not appealing.  Never thought I’d hear myself say that.  I’ve been busy and just plain forgotten to eat (2 years ago I forgot to eat Easter dinner-I love to cook, made a huge meal, then went outside to hide eggs.  At 9 that night I thought I hadn’t eaten anything, lol).  Just stick to the plan your dr gives you!

Welcome! :) You will find non-judgey, helpful, supportive people here, I think. A very sensible group, working hard to make sure we all can be successful. Read around the site a bit, and don't be afraid to ask questions. 

Welcome Dana!

Welcome, what is PCOS?

Welcome, Dana! This forum is a great resource. And a nice group of people!

I did, and do Weight Watchers too. I find it SO much easier to portion control now. And I still like the meetings so go each week even though I'm at goal. Do what works for you and ignore the naysayers! They are probably reacting to their own issues more than yours. 

2 hours ago, Anita62 said:

Welcome, what is PCOS?

Here you go Anita:  Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder common among women of reproductive age. Women with PCOS may have infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods or excess male hormone (androgen) levels. The ovaries may develop numerous small collections of fluid (follicles) and fail to regularly release eggs.    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pcos/symptoms-causes/syc-20353439

Hi Dana, I didn't consider myself a really bad eater, but I did have a problem with portion control for sure.  Now that I have made it to goal I pretty much eat like I did before but with a bigger emphasis on protein.  I will also admit as of late I have been eating to many times things that I don't need, sigh. I am not perfect but I do watch my scale and weigh in every morning.  Daily weighing is what will keep me where I am today and my sleeve.

Thank you Cinwa.

I just want to thank everyone for their kind welcomes and replies!!