Jane Sloan

What were the most significant emotional changes you experienced after surgery?

I recently came across this article on the emotional changes that follow surgery. They were a lot more complicated than I would have expected! I was curious what your most significant emotional change was after surgery. Did it surprise you?  Did people react to you in ways you didn't anticipate? 

I read the article in its entirety and must say not one subject effected me in my journey???  I do have an exercise practice that I never had before and that may be why my spirits are up and I have only had positive emotion changes. I hope this helps. 

I really did not experience any of those reactions either.  My life is good.  No depression, no transfer addiction, not relationship problems (hubby of 37 years always has stood behind me), no anxiety, no unrealistic expectations.  This has been the best thing I’ve ever done for myself..

Thankfully, I didn't have any emotional, personal or relationship issues either.

Agreed with the above. I don't relate to that article at all. My relationship technically changed, but I had been strongly considering divorce for two years before surgery, so even though I divorced after I had surgery, it was a long time coming for reasons completely unrelated to my weight loss and WLS.

I have had no personal, relationship or emotional issues since my surgery.  This article does not reflect in any way my life since my gastric bypass.

I agree with the others. I'm every day grateful for how much better my life is in EVERY aspect! My relationships, my mood, my confidence, everything is just easier and better. The only sentence in the article I could relate to was:

"This sudden surge of attention can make you feel vulnerable and exposed. "

It's only after a week like I had last week where I travelled and saw a bunch of people that I hadn't seen in many months. So, all at once, I got alot of comments about my appearance, and that did make me feel vulnerable and exposed. But in every day life where someone says something every once in awhile, it's fine. I got a little stressed because for a week, I kept having to face those surprised looks and conversations every day. But I guess it would also be really weird to lose 100+ pounds and no one say anything! :lol:

14 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

I agree with the others. I'm every day grateful for how much better my life is in EVERY aspect! My relationships, my mood, my confidence, everything is just easier and better. The only sentence in the article I could relate to was:

"This sudden surge of attention can make you feel vulnerable and exposed. "

It's only after a week like I had last week where I travelled and saw a bunch of people that I hadn't seen in many months. So, all at once, I got alot of comments about my appearance, and that did make me feel vulnerable and exposed. But in every day life where someone says something every once in awhile, it's fine. I got a little stressed because for a week, I kept having to face those surprised looks and conversations every day. But I guess it would also be really weird to lose 100+ pounds and no one say anything! :lol:

I guess the comments made me uncomfortable-but I got real good at changing the subject!  One of hubby’s dive friends hadn’t seen me-he started with “you look different”. I replied, “yeah, I’m letting my hair grow out”.  Shut him down.  It was the ones who would ask if I was sick that bothered me the most.  I actually turned it around a few times and asked “why, do I look sick?”..  or “never felt better”.  Just got to get creative if you are uncomfortable at being center of attention.  

I think most of us here researched continuously, so I feel I was as prepared as I could be. Although I do know some people have depression afterwards because they can no longer eat the kinds and amounts of food they use to eat ect…  I myself have no issues and am very happy I had the surgery.

5 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I think most of us here researched continuously, so I feel I was as prepared as I could be. Although I do know some people have depression afterwards because they can no longer eat the kinds and amounts of food they use to eat ect…  I myself have no issues and am very happy I had the surgery.

That reminds me- I remember watching a YouTube vlog by someone who had bypass and she talked about how she misses the overfull feeling she'd get deep in her belly when she overate pre-op. It comforted her on some level and she struggled post-op with the lack of physical sensation after eating. I can definitely see how depression would stem from having a coping mechanism (food and the associated physical & chemical reactions) taken away. This site is such a valuable resource because, as a community, we model and encourage addressing issues through therapy, self-reflection, etc and finding healthy substitutes for our former unhealthy behaviors. I also feel like this community is super realistic, sometimes to the point of bluntness when it comes to the actual realities of post-op life which can help prevent one of the struggles listed in the article. I'm so grateful for this community!!! :wub: