Sign in to follow this  
Boston Redhead

Too much protein?

I’m three weeks out today. Is there such thing as getting too much protein? I haven’t had dinner yet and I’ve already had 81g. (My mistake was having a muscle milk this morning!)

thanks

1 hour ago, Boston Redhead said:

I’m three weeks out today. Is there such thing as getting too much protein? I haven’t had dinner yet and I’ve already had 81g. (My mistake was having a muscle milk this morning!)

thanks

Yes, but you don't need to be worried about that yet. Unused protien, like excess carbohydrate,  is metabolised in the liver and stored as fat. There is no way that this early post-op you are consuming enough calories for that process to be occurring.  Try to stay either your surgeon's guidelines, but it's not worth sweating the small stuff at this stage.

2 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Yes, but you don't need to be worried about that yet. Unused protien, like excess carbohydrate,  is metabolised in the liver and stored as fat. There is no way that this early post-op you are consuming enough calories for that process to be occurring.  Try to stay either your surgeon's guidelines, but it's not worth sweating the small stuff at this stage.

Great, thank you!

On 2/25/2019 at 4:06 PM, Boston Redhead said:

thanks

There are studies showing that people with kidney disease need to be careful with protein intake, but shy of that there is not much evidence of such a problem. One example I have read about is something called (by some) rabbit disease. The traditional diet of the Inuit peoples of the far North was very enhanced in protein and fat, and only about 15-20% carbohydrate ... and you may know that they famously had excellent cardiovascular health on a protein and fat rich traditional diet. They also got all their vitamin C, vitamin A and so forth from the flesh of the animals and fish they ate. Rates of things like diabetes in people eating a traditional Inuit diet was about half that of people eating a Western diet. (But of course they also exercised a lot, being an hunter-gatherer can take a lot of work). I've read that in this kind of diet, the calories from fat were 2-3 times the number of calories obtained from protein (animal and fish meat, primarily). One difference between the famous (or infamous) Atkins diet and the Inuit diet is that there was a lot more of the 'healthy' fish oils in the Inuit diet - the ones called omega-3s. 

"Rabbit disease" occurred in people who ate only protein that was deficient in fat. Rabbits are notoriously low in fat and very lean. In many traditional hunter-gatherer societies / cultures people would not eat meat that did not have fat since it could lead to protein toxicity - wasting, nausea, vomiting, liver problems. I think the body gets overwhelmed with the amount of nitrogen waste on a pure protein diet.