cw00

Waiting for Surgery

I am on the waiting list for gastric bypass surgery. When i was told i was on the waiting list (NHS UK) i was told i would wait 18 weeks max. Its been more then 18 weeks. (24 weeks)

Because of that im in a very dark place, and have thoughts  that the surgery is never going to happen, and it was all a waste of time. 

Im still sticking to my diet plan, but im starting to get extremely emotional  about it being past 18 weeks on the waiting list.

I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts of "its not going to go ahead" "it will never happen to me" when waiting? i would love to speak to some of you.

Thanks

C

Welcome to Thinner Times!

I don't think that one of us didn't have the same thoughts and yes, it can be a pretty emotional time.  Hang in there.

I’ve been going through this process since 2011/12, and have been on the waiting list since January 2018. On January 21 2019 I had my pre-assessment visit- yay- and was advised to expect surgery around April 2019. I found out yesterday that there is a complication with my surgery date. I have been attending a hospital in London, where I used to live, but in 2017 my marriage broke down and I relocated to Scotland, where I was born. I was completely up front about this with the hospital, who were happy for me to continue the process with them. Yesterday I found out there is a problem with the funding because I now live in Scotland. And today I found out i’ve been removed from the waiting list. To say I’m devastated is an understatement. I feel that the rug has been completely pulled out from under me and feel I have wasted the last 8 years of my life. 

17 hours ago, Polls said:

I’ve been going through this process since 2011/12, and have been on the waiting list since January 2018. On January 21 2019 I had my pre-assessment visit- yay- and was advised to expect surgery around April 2019. I found out yesterday that there is a complication with my surgery date. I have been attending a hospital in London, where I used to live, but in 2017 my marriage broke down and I relocated to Scotland, where I was born. I was completely up front about this with the hospital, who were happy for me to continue the process with them. Yesterday I found out there is a problem with the funding because I now live in Scotland. And today I found out i’ve been removed from the waiting list. To say I’m devastated is an understatement. I feel that the rug has been completely pulled out from under me and feel I have wasted the last 8 years of my life. 

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry @cw00 and @Polls I don't understand how things work in other countries but I myself would also be devastated.  I waited 2 years because I wasted the first year on a PCP that had a big head and would not sign the papers.  I switched PCP and she signed my first visit.  Hope something turns around for the both of you so you are able to move forward quickly.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:07 AM, Polls said:

Sounds awfully like the government funded hospital system in Australia.  They'll use any excuse to remove patients from wait lists. So sorry to hear this has happened to you. I know I didn't even believe my surgery would happen until I woke up and was told it actually had!!!!

......and to think so many countries envy our supposedly free medical system.....which in reality isn't free at all, and is highly discriminatory to boot.