Is my husband's gastric bypass. I think I am more nervous than him... But I'm sure that's not the case. 

He made it through the liquid diet without too many problems. But I'm really afraid he has a very unrealistic view of what he will be able to eat after surgery. He has already bought a few things that are not on the list, and doesn't seem to believe me when I say it's not on the diet. It hasn't helped that I have been sick with bronchitis all week.

It also didn't help that the doctor told him he would only be in the hospital overnight and go home the next day. The RN Bariatric Coordinator assured him that he would be hospitalized for 2-3 days. I have no idea why doctors say things like that. 

He also found out that he will have a catheter. Boy howdy he is not happy about that! 

My son had his VSG 2 weeks ago and is doing well. 

Wish us (me!) luck tomorrow.

Welcome to Thinner Times Andrea - it's always good to see partners involved because weight loss surgery impacts our families and loved ones too.

I wouldn't worry too much that your husband is only going to be in hospital overnight - that's pretty normal - some have gone home the same day.  And as for the catheter - I think you'll find that most of us had one - mine was in place for around 24 hours post-op.

It really is essential that your DH follow the diet programme to the letter in the early stages post-op.  Do you think that you could get him to join us on the forum? 

No he wouldn't join. He doesn't like to do this sort of thing. 

I'm terms of the hospital, I'm hoping they keep him. He's diabetic and a bad patient, so.... Oh that sounds mean. Lol 

12 minutes ago, Andrea23 said:

No he wouldn't join. He doesn't like to do this sort of thing. 

I'm terms of the hospital, I'm hoping they keep him. He's diabetic and a bad patient, so.... Oh that sounds mean. Lol 

Lol, good luck to all of you.  Bypass patients usually stay 2 or 3 nights I think.  Hope all is going well

Good luck, @Andrea23. I hope all goes well. I had RNY and was in for two nights (wow, I'm actually having to search my memory for that fact - was it one or two? Two I think - seems like I'd remember...). They'll keep him as long as they need him (or he needs them) I suppose. 

As for the items he's bought being either on or not on the approved list, hopefully he'll get his head around all the new "rules" (really guidelines, but some are stricter and/or more important than others, some are for long term habit building, some are for keeping you from hurting yourself, etc). There's a lot to learn. It sounds like you're going to be a well-informed support person for him. I hope he takes his lifestyle changes seriously, as well. WLS is not a magic bullet that takes care of the problem - it's a way of helping you deal with the problem, and you have to work the system for it to work for you. Keep coming back with questions for the good people here. There are so many wise and experienced veterans on the forum, as well as people who are new and can really understand the new-person perspective.