Res Ipsa

Preexisting GERD as a comorbidity?

Someone I know approached me on whether GERD is a comorbidity for insurance purposes. This person has a BMI of a bit over 35 and their primary medical health problem is a long-standing case of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Has anyone seen GERD accepted by a health insurer as a comorbidity to approve gastric bypass surgery?

From what I've read, GERD is occasionally listed as a comorbidity but they seem few and far between:  https://www.obesitycoverage.com/insurance-and-costs/pre-approval-process/comorbidities

Less frequent comorbidities that are occasionally accepted by insurance include:

• Congestive Heart Failure
  • Fatty Liver Syndrome
  • Gall Bladder Disease
  • Depression
  • Stroke or Stroke Risk
  • Inability to Carry Out Daily Activities
  • Psychosocial Stress Resulting From Obesity
  • GERD (Acid Reflux Disease)

Of course our insurance systems are different, but I've only ever seen GERD accepted as a reason for revisional surgery to be approved. There are other less invasive surgeries that can be performed to resolve GERD. Let's be realistic, insurers are going to go with the least expensive solution to an issue.

Edited by Aussie Bear