Brattykid

The journey so far...

I'm officially 2 months out from surgery! I have lost 36lbs since surgery (76 overall)!! I can't tolerate chicken (not ground, not fake, not dark, not white.) :( But I can tolerate beef - I know it's not the best thing to eat, but I only eat what my tummy will handle to get protein in - it was my saving grace in Thailand. I tolerate spicy really well. Love it actually. Pork mush on a stick in thailand went over well but I haven't tried pork roast, ribs, or chops yet. Fish goes well. I cannot tolerate any type of breading or bread. Not even low-carb. Haven't had too many veggies yet because I'm focusing so hard on getting enough protein, but what I have tried goes down well. Soups are still my favorite go to (bean and ham is the best followed by chili) which is funny to me after 5 weeks of liquids only before/after surgery. LOL I have tried some fruit (mainly papaya salad in Thailand - omg I miss it so...) and even found a new appreciation for honeydew melon that I never liked before. I like pineapple & cucumbers & a little mango too.

I get the hiccups and runny nose when I'm full. Some days my tummy doesn't want anything but I force myself to eat what I can anyway. Or at least drink a protein shake. Water is getting increasingly hard and some days it literally hurts my stomach. Other days it's not to bad.  Some days I get frustrated by the lack of amount of food until I remind myself it's only tablespoons at this point...although I can demolish a 5 ounce container of yogurt with no issues any day of the week. Sometimes I just want a half sandwich, a breakfast sandwich, or a freakin 1/4 sub sandwich. I instead opt for just a couple ounces of lunch meat with a piece of cheese. I find tons of recipes but experience frustration at the fact they still make an incredible amount of food that I don't want to eat every day for 3-5 days. Even if you have a recipe, it's hard to do sometimes because you then have to find another recipe to use the other half of that vegetable or meat you're using. I freeze a lot, and then it gets lost in a wonderland in my freezer and I end up throwing it anyway because it no longer 

Our new tummies are funny creatures that surprise us every day. :wub:

And lastly, I am officially 200.6 today - I feel like I'm one good poo away from onederland. Shooting to hit that this weekend. :D Wish me luck! I'm in a comfortable size 16 women's. Haven't tried 16 misses yet because this girl has some boobs (still) and hips! That's the news from me. I know that it will continue to get better. I'm still really early out. :)

Thank you for sharing the news of your post-surgery journey so far.  You are doing great!

By the way, there is nothing wrong with eating beef if that is what your stomach will tolerate - it is high in both protein and iron. 

You are doing wonderful !!   My nose use to run in the beginning and/or hiccups when I was full also.  Kinda strange, huh?  It will eventually stop doing that, mine did anyways. I am just now able to eat bread for the last couple of months. I don't do it very often, but it is nice to be able to.   I like a half bagel with cream cheese, avocado, and tuna on it !!  

3 hours ago, Brattykid said:

I'm officially 2 months out from surgery! I have lost 36lbs since surgery (76 overall)!! ...

And lastly, I am officially 200.6 today - I feel like I'm one good poo away from onederland. Shooting to hit that this weekend. :D Wish me luck! I'm in a comfortable size 16 women's. Haven't tried 16 misses yet because this girl has some boobs (still) and hips! That's the news from me. I know that it will continue to get better. I'm still really early out. :)

Wow, congratulations!! You are 60% of the way to your goal weight, and soon to cross the 200 mark! 

(How was Thailand? Warmer than it is in the US right now no doubt! And there are all sorts of foods that we have trouble with at your stage that get easier later on, you may be able to expand the spectrum of what you eat in a few months). 

Congrats on your success thus far.  Our new stomach can be finicky at times.  It helps us listen to our bodies and give it what it needs instead of what it sometimes wants.  Wishing you continued success on your journey.  

Congrats on coming so far!  With this unforsaken freeze has your internal thermostat broken yet?  Like are you perpetually cold?  -40 here this morning!  

Tell us about your trip.  Lean beef isn’t bad and especially the quantities you eat.  Isn’t it funny how each stomach is different?  Same surgeries but different.  I live on chicken.  Rarely eat beef or pork.  For quite a while I couldn’t do shredded meat, at all.  Early out I could eat eggs, now they make me gag.  I hate left overs, unless it’s rotisserie chicken..

weve been eating a lot of riced cauliflower.  And fruit?  I live on fruit and Greek yogurt, protein shakes or bars.  Cause somedays I just can’t choke anymore protein down.  Right now the raspberries are getting nice again!  Mix then with vanilla Greek yogurt:)

you will find what works!  

20 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Wow, congratulations!! You are 60% of the way to your goal weight, and soon to cross the 200 mark! 

(How was Thailand? Warmer than it is in the US right now no doubt! And there are all sorts of foods that we have trouble with at your stage that get easier later on, you may be able to expand the spectrum of what you eat in a few months). 

Thailand is amazing! Especially Chiang Mai.  It all was much warmer than here in the US.  We left MN at 46 degrees F and it was 97 degrees and humid in Bangkok, 85 and not humid in Chiang Mai and 88 and sometimes humid in Phuket. Only to arrive back to -31 (feels like -55) degrees back in MN when we got back. Wish I could have stayed an extra week!  LOL

Thanks for the heads up on the getting easier part...I so very look forward to it!

21 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Thank you for sharing the news of your post-surgery journey so far.  You are doing great!

By the way, there is nothing wrong with eating beef if that is what your stomach will tolerate - it is high in both protein and iron. 

Thank you!  I just was told to avoid it as it could be an issue, but it seems to be the only one that is not an issue.  LOL  Eggs do not do well either. I miss them.

15 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Congrats on coming so far!  With this unforsaken freeze has your internal thermostat broken yet?  Like are you perpetually cold?  -40 here this morning!  

Tell us about your trip.  Lean beef isn’t bad and especially the quantities you eat.  Isn’t it funny how each stomach is different?  Same surgeries but different.  I live on chicken.  Rarely eat beef or pork.  For quite a while I couldn’t do shredded meat, at all.  Early out I could eat eggs, now they make me gag.  I hate left overs, unless it’s rotisserie chicken..

weve been eating a lot of riced cauliflower.  And fruit?  I live on fruit and Greek yogurt, protein shakes or bars.  Cause somedays I just can’t choke anymore protein down.  Right now the raspberries are getting nice again!  Mix then with vanilla Greek yogurt:)

you will find what works!  

Ungodly cold!!  I wear so many layers now!  Which is easy to do since all my clothes are too big.  LOL!!  THailand was amazing - I got to hang out with tigers and elephants and even got charged by an elephant!! I'm ok though! The most beautiful part was northern Thailand where the people are genuinely the nicest and you don't feel constantly bombarded by someone to sell you something. The food was all amazing (what I could eat anyway lol) and everything is so incredibly cheap!  The weather was fantastic the whole time we were there as well. I definitely recommend a visit if you never have been.

19 hours ago, Kim M said:

Congrats on your success thus far.  Our new stomach can be finicky at times.  It helps us listen to our bodies and give it what it needs instead of what it sometimes wants.  Wishing you continued success on your journey.  

Thank you! :wub:

21 hours ago, tracyringo said:

You are doing wonderful !!   My nose use to run in the beginning and/or hiccups when I was full also.  Kinda strange, huh?  It will eventually stop doing that, mine did anyways. I am just now able to eat bread for the last couple of months. I don't do it very often, but it is nice to be able to.   I like a half bagel with cream cheese, avocado, and tuna on it !!  

That sounds so delicious. I can't wait to get to that point - just to enjoy a treat (a piece of bread or half bagel) once in a while. :D

3 hours ago, Brattykid said:

Thank you!  I just was told to avoid it as it could be an issue, but it seems to be the only one that is not an issue.  LOL  Eggs do not do well either. I miss them.

Bratty, this might not be what you had thought of doing - but recently I made a lamb shank and it was way more than I could eat. I later pureed some of the cooked de-boned lamb in some broth and it was rich and delicious.. and scratched that lamb itch that I had. 

I also swirl eggs into broth with some lemon juice or white vinegar and get what looks like egg-drop soup... when I was at your stage I just craved eggs but could not eat them solid. Now I can but I still drink the broth frequently as a way to get some protein and fluid volumes at the same time. Especially with this cold weather!

On 1/31/2019 at 11:58 AM, Brattykid said:

I get the hiccups and runny nose when I'm full.

Yeah, me too.  And unlike @tracyringo, sad to say, I'm at 16 months out from surgery now and it still happens a lot.  For me it's not a sign of full - it's a sign I've taken one bite too many.  And I know my new tummy well enough now to know that it signals a total strike - I'll be snotty and hiccupy for hours unless I uh, reverse the eating process.  So once it starts I generally just go throw up to get it out of the way and enjoy the rest of my evening.

I AM getting better at knowing how many bites is just enough to avoid that, and what kinds of food are most likely to cause it.  So that's something, right?! 

9 hours ago, Kio said:

Yeah, me too.  And unlike @tracyringo, sad to say, I'm at 16 months out from surgery now and it still happens a lot.  For me it's not a sign of full - it's a sign I've taken one bite too many.  And I know my new tummy well enough now to know that it signals a total strike - I'll be snotty and hiccupy for hours unless I uh, reverse the eating process.  So once it starts I generally just go throw up to get it out of the way and enjoy the rest of my evening.

I AM getting better at knowing how many bites is just enough to avoid that, and what kinds of food are most likely to cause it.  So that's something, right?! 

Wow, I never felt bad when my nose ran or when I had the hiccups.  Sorry this is the case for you and that it has lasted this long.

18 hours ago, Kio said:

I'm at 16 months out from surgery now and it still happens a lot.  For me it's not a sign of full - it's a sign I've taken one bite too many.  And I know my new tummy well enough now to know that it signals a total strike - I'll be snotty and hiccupy for hours unless I uh, reverse the eating process.  So once it starts I generally just go throw up to get it out of the way and enjoy the rest of my evening.

Yeah, I do this sometimes, too, and it's always preceded by hiccups and/or a drooly feeling, usually with a runny nose. It's often when I've eating something that's hard on my system: shrimp a little overdone, too many raw veggies, or in some cases, just a couple bites too many or not chewed thoroughly enough. These are usually situations that arise when I'm out eating socially, unfortunately, so the eating reversal is pretty much necessary to avoid drama. It also happens when I'm in a somewhat high-pressure eating situation where I don't want to draw attention to my weird eating patterns (ironically), and I think maybe just the stress of it causes my stomach to be sort of... tense? Not sure. I try to remember, but it still happens sometimes. Not sure whether it'll ever stop, but hey, it keeps me wary, so that's probably an OK thing in the long term.

Edited by Jen581791

Even now, I get one huge hiccup if I've eaten a little more than I should and often, my nose will run too.  

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

These are usually situations that arise when I'm out eating socially, unfortunately, so the eating reversal is pretty much necessary to avoid drama. It also happens when I'm in a somewhat high-pressure eating situation where I don't want to draw attention to my weird eating patterns (ironically), and I think maybe just the stress of it causes my stomach to be sort of... tense?

I know, right?!  It does seem to happen more when I have people over or something - I'm always worried somebody is going to think I'm bulimic!  ;) 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:37 PM, Kio said:

I'm always worried somebody is going to think I'm bulimic!

Not an unreasonable fear what with having weird eating habits, running to the bathroom sometimes after eating, and losing more than half of your body weight! ;) 

Instead of throwing up, when I go over and eat too much, I've tried papaya enzyme, and it really helps. The "bulimic" fear I have makes me feel too weird, so I would hate making myself throw up. (In prior years, I was afraid if I let myself purge, then I would binge even more than I already did. So now I have a weird thing about it.) Anyway, I've taken the papaya enzyme about 4 times in the last 11 months and it has really helped every time. 

On 2/5/2019 at 6:13 AM, Cindy Lou Who said:

Instead of throwing up, when I go over and eat too much, I've tried papaya enzyme, and it really helps. The "bulimic" fear I have makes me feel too weird, so I would hate making myself throw up. (In prior years, I was afraid if I let myself purge, then I would binge even more than I already did. So now I have a weird thing about it.) Anyway, I've taken the papaya enzyme about 4 times in the last 11 months and it has really helped every time. 

I just picked some of those up!  I'm currently having issues eating or drinking anything while on my period, hoping it passes like it did last month otherwise a call to my surgeon's office is in order. :(

I physically can't throw up since my bypass, even a finger down my throat won't do it, so I'm also a papaya enzyme advocate....they only work on protiens though in my experience. 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:13 PM, Cindy Lou Who said:

So glad to hear the papaya works well for you! It helps me if the stuck thing is protein, but veggies don't seem to work the same way, much to my chagrin. Fortunately, I have no history of bulimic tendencies, and used to be absolutely unable to make myself throw up, so I don't think I'm headed that way. I do have to reassure my hubs of that from time to time, though. It seems like a worrying behavior if it happens more often than rarely... 

12 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

So glad to hear the papaya works well for you! It helps me if the stuck thing is protein, but veggies don't seem to work the same way, much to my chagrin. Fortunately, I have no history of bulimic tendencies, and used to be absolutely unable to make myself throw up, so I don't think I'm headed that way. I do have to reassure my hubs of that from time to time, though. It seems like a worrying behavior if it happens more often than rarely... 

Oh, I apologize, I didn't means my words to read in any way about anyone else. So let me be clear. 

I think our first priority is protecting our new pouch. So if there's something in our bodies that needs to be thrown up before it hurts the pouch, then that's a good safety tactic. And I certainly don't think having that as a back up plan every once in awhile is in any way bulimic. I was just trying to say why I had my own irrational fear about throwing up. It has all to do with my old neurotic bingeing days. I think once I realize that those days really are gone forever, I'll lose that irrational fear. 

I like the papaya enzyme, and so far, luckily,  it has saved me when my pouch really hurts. But that too is just a backup safety tactic, and after I've had to use them, I look at what happened leading up to it, so I can try to avoid over-eating in the first place. It's such a learning process, and I feel like I'm in elementary school! :P

12 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Oh, I apologize, I didn't means my words to read in any way about anyone else. So let me be clear. 

I think our first priority is protecting our new pouch. So if there's something in our bodies that needs to be thrown up before it hurts the pouch, then that's a good safety tactic. And I certainly don't think having that as a back up plan every once in awhile is in any way bulimic. I was just trying to say why I had my own irrational fear about throwing up. It has all to do with my old neurotic bingeing days. I think once I realize that those days really are gone forever, I'll lose that irrational fear. 

I like the papaya enzyme, and so far, luckily,  it has saved me when my pouch really hurts. But that too is just a backup safety tactic, and after I've had to use them, I look at what happened leading up to it, so I can try to avoid over-eating in the first place. It's such a learning process, and I feel like I'm in elementary school! :P

No, your words should definitely be about everybody else! :) Moving from one form of disordered eating (whatever got us all here) to another form of disordered eating (bulimia) is probably really common, and for those who've struggled with bulimia in the past, I'm sure that having something stuck and needing to "offload it" (that's how I think of it) is probably really triggering. It's something we should definitely all keep in mind as we move down the road toward a better relationship with food. I check in with myself every time I have to do it to make sure it's really a thing I think will make me less miserable rather than a thing that will save me some calories or something. And then I check to make sure I'm not eating to make myself miserable with the idea that "hey I can just offload it later." I'm pretty sure I'm not doing that, but I think it's healthy to check in with myself and be really really sure that's not what's going on. Your comments were good to reinforce the idea that this could indeed be a tendency for some of us. We need to keep it in mind! :wub: 

On 1/31/2019 at 11:58 AM, Brattykid said:

I'm officially 2 months out from surgery! I have lost 36lbs since surgery (76 overall)!! I can't tolerate chicken (not ground, not fake, not dark, not white.) :( But I can tolerate beef - I know it's not the best thing to eat, but I only eat what my tummy will handle to get protein in - it was my saving grace in Thailand. I tolerate spicy really well. Love it actually. Pork mush on a stick in thailand went over well but I haven't tried pork roast, ribs, or chops yet. Fish goes well. I cannot tolerate any type of breading or bread. Not even low-carb. Haven't had too many veggies yet because I'm focusing so hard on getting enough protein, but what I have tried goes down well. Soups are still my favorite go to (bean and ham is the best followed by chili) which is funny to me after 5 weeks of liquids only before/after surgery. LOL I have tried some fruit (mainly papaya salad in Thailand - omg I miss it so...) and even found a new appreciation for honeydew melon that I never liked before. I like pineapple & cucumbers & a little mango too.

I get the hiccups and runny nose when I'm full. Some days my tummy doesn't want anything but I force myself to eat what I can anyway. Or at least drink a protein shake. Water is getting increasingly hard and some days it literally hurts my stomach. Other days it's not to bad.  Some days I get frustrated by the lack of amount of food until I remind myself it's only tablespoons at this point...although I can demolish a 5 ounce container of yogurt with no issues any day of the week. Sometimes I just want a half sandwich, a breakfast sandwich, or a freakin 1/4 sub sandwich. I instead opt for just a couple ounces of lunch meat with a piece of cheese. I find tons of recipes but experience frustration at the fact they still make an incredible amount of food that I don't want to eat every day for 3-5 days. Even if you have a recipe, it's hard to do sometimes because you then have to find another recipe to use the other half of that vegetable or meat you're using. I freeze a lot, and then it gets lost in a wonderland in my freezer and I end up throwing it anyway because it no longer 

Our new tummies are funny creatures that surprise us every day. :wub:

I don't know why you don't eat beef but my reason was because of the way beef is raised in the US. If this is a concern, try buying ethically raised beef. It might make your heart feel better. Congrats!!