Surgery will be 2/4. Based on some patients’ experience with hair loss, should I keep my perm appt?  It’s scheduled for 2/21. I don’t want the chemicals to cause more to fall out. (I have really thick hair, if that matters.)

what do you think???

( - --- Aim for a lot more protein than the minimum your surgical team suggests - while there may be other things that help with preventing hair loss, protein intake is key. Lots of scientific studies that show more protein leads to lower risk of hair loss. After surgery when you need protein to remodel your body, and while you are not eating enough calories to maintain your high weight, your body can "make" the metabolic decision that it is going to channel all protein to the remodelling and not to replacing your hair. So the more protein you eat, the higher the likelihood you will have enough intake for both the remodelling and for hair growth. Having added my two cents to this discussion, I am a nearly bald old guy so my personal experience is not very relevant. )

@Boston Redhead

Can you get it done before?  I think you probably will want to be as kind to your hair as possible post-op.  Protein and things like biotin will help it grow back in faster but if it's gonna fall, it will fall.  It's a consequence of extreme stress, in this case the physical stress of major surgery.  At least those of us with thick hair have an easier time disguising it, in fact I liked having less hair for awhile  I have very (very) thick hair as well and I used the hair loss as an opportunity to grow my hair out.  I had kept it short for probably 25 years because I couldn't get it long enough to get it off my neck by summer so off it went every year lol. 

Whatever happens to your hair, your healthier life more than makes up for :)

2 hours ago, msmarymac said:

I think you probably will want to be as kind to your hair as possible post-op.  Protein and things like biotin will help it grow back in faster but if it's gonna fall, it will fall.  

Whatever happens to your hair, your healthier life more than makes up for :)

Yes!  Be kind to your hair now, and be sure to have lots of protein (and take biotin pills) after surgery.  And, hope for the best.  Even if you lose hair, it should grow back after a few months or so, and being thinner, healthier and more active is well worth a loss of some hair.

I look forward to welcoming you in a few days to the losers bench.  :)

By the way, how does a Boston Redhead end up in NC?  Did you want to escape our wonderful winters or our wonderful drivers?

I have super thick hair.  At the time it was super short.  I never noticed any hair loss.  I also got my protein in from the start.  Usually hair loss isn’t noticeable until about 4 months out.  

From what I understand, what you're looking to do is to keep your protein up really high to prevent fall and promote regrowth while being very kind to your hair for the first year to encourage it to stay in your head as long as possible. As @msmarymac said, if it's gonna fall, it's gonna fall, but if you can be gentle to it, you can keep it hanging on so you have a larger critical mass hanging on at any given time so the losses are more gradual and replacements come in to make it less noticeable. So, don't brush too hard, don't yank your hair back in a ponytail, don't brush it when it's wet, etc. I suspect perms may do some damage that would cause some fall, but at the same time, they add some volume to make it less noticeable when the losses do eventually come (4 months out or so). I did color my hair in the few months after surgery when the losses were apparent - having it a little lighter blond made my scalp less noticeable. Not sure if that caused any increase in hair fall, but it hid my thin areas! :blink: When it happens, it might make you nervous, but it's totally worth it and it comes back. In the end, you'll be thin and have nice hair... ;) 

Personally I would not get a perm for awhile after surgery.  Perms damage your hair by making hair dry out and brittle. 

I am almost 18 months out and have been losing quite a bit of hair over the last 4 months, which I don't understand. I also don't know how I have any left !!  I have been taking biotin now for the last month.  I have actually been getting kind of worried and I don't understand why it is coming out like it is this late in the journey.

Thanks everyone!