Sheepish confession. I hadn’t weighed myself since early October. I knew I had gained a few pounds but all my clothes fit, so I allowed myself to be ignorant. That feeling turned into fear and avoidance. I started to get paranoid and scared. I haven’t been eating terribly but I haven’t been a saint. Agh 

I told myself that my return to TT was also an opportunity to be accountable to myself. I took off my big girl pants and weighed myself. 139! That was a shock as I assumed I had ventured into the 140s. That’s about a 2-3 lb weight gain. I can live with that and hopefully take off with better eating. 

I am so relieved!

Way to go.  Don’t let fear rule!  Only a 2-3 pound gain and it was over the holidays;)

Good for you.  You must be awesome at maintenance.  Way to go!!!

Well @NerdyToothpick your tale shows you have really incorporated WLS lessons into your life. 2-3 lbs for me is normal variation over a week. :blink: It's impressive that without being mindful, and with all the stresses in your life, you are that fixed at your weight. 

So if it is confession time... my parallel universe is similar, but my weight gain was about 18-20 lbs. So perhaps more sheepishly than you:

I weigh almost exactly what I did a year ago (204 lbs) today. In the interim though, especially over last summer and early fall, I ate well and upped my exercise level to 30-40 minutes a day of intense rowing in the gym, plus summertime walking and cycling, and got down to something like 192-193 last August - and a normal BMI for the first time since my twenties (I'm 63 now). And then in Sept-October work got intense, lots of conflict there, blah blah blah and I stopped working out, and only weighed intermittently. My BMI went from 24.8 or so to... 27, and I was in the 210-212 region (So + 2.1 or 2.2 BMI units). My diet really didn't change much (yes I drank fermented grape juice beverages most nights, ate foie gras and confit duck as much as possible, e.g. my normal weird diet). In December I said to h3ll with this, hit the gym again daily and did the usual stuff we do. Even spent 2 weeks in India where it was harder to control my diet, since I had to eat out most meals, and walked 4 or more miles a day, and lost some there too. Not quite half way back to where I want to be, which is the weight I was at in August-September. I have not had a moment of anxiety about this circumstance. 

Two things to point out: 

- My weight bump up, with my diet the same, but with and without exercise - was 2 BMI units, and all in about 3 months time. What do all the studies show about people who exercise after WLS? That their long-term BMI is ~ 2.1 BMI units lower than that of people who don't exercise. I feel like my body must have read the scientific studies and taken them to heart.

- We can just do the stuff we know how to do, e.g. eat right and get some exercise and eschew the Cheetos and so forth when we have stopped being mindful ... and we can get right back on track. It feels SO GOOD to know that I have the tools and ability to do this now. None of us are perfect and we all have ups and down. All of you reading this now, especially the Lurkers thinking of having surgery, should take heart. You get so many useful tools going through this process. 

and now, having confessed, I feel much better. Thank you @NerdyToothpick!!

FWIW, I really have not been very strict with myself since Thanksgiving. Holiday parties, vacation time, etc, etc, the normal excuses, plus I had some hip pain and stopped both running and making sure I got my 10,000 steps (usually 14,000 - 18,000) every day. I ate sweets, I drank more adult beverages, I ate out more. It's been about two months of this, and I'm clocking in at about a 3 - 4 pound gain as well. I expect it to come off in a couple of weeks of getting back on plan.

Really, WLS has been the magic bullet I've needed: it's allowed me to limit my serving sizes and helped me learn to moderate/modify my choices so the dreaded holiday season weight gain is very limited and I feel like I'm in control of getting rid of it. 

My hip's feeling better - time to start carefully and slowly doing some running again, along with the back to basics food intake!  :) I'm expecting to be fitter and stronger in 2019 than ever before!

@NerdyToothpick, you are doing great at maintenance, particularly in the face of some challenging life events. I'd say the only real change you might consider is weighing more frequently so you don't build up a feeling of dread over it and start actively avoiding it. That might cut out some of the stress you place on yourself over your weight/health/diet/exercise. If you're doing well, as you are, you might as well know it and celebrate it!!!

Edited by Jen581791

Coming up on two years post surgery. Get your head on!!  You can do it!!  Make your anniversary your goal to feel thin, energized and healthy!!

I cant avoid the scale because I know where that leads for me. So happy for you and only being a couple of pounds since Oct.  That is fantastic !!!  

7 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I cant avoid the scale because I know where that leads for me. So happy for you and only being a couple of pounds since Oct.  That is fantastic !!!  

Same here....been there done that....and had no option but to buy new t-shirt at the time. ;)

This time round the only days I don't weigh are when I have no access to scales because I'm not at home.

Oh, my dear friend, you’re doing great! 2-3 pound gain...through the holidays with EVERYTHING else you have going on in your life...you will be fine!! I agree that weighing more often will help ease your mind. I still weigh every day, no matter what I’m eating. But you’ve got this. You know what to do if things start going south. Plus WE ARE HERE FOR YOU, ALWAYS!! I’ve gotten as high as 146 through the holidays, but I’m back down to 144 now. This is my perfect weight, as far as I’m concerned. I feel like I look best, and I know I feel best, at 144. I gave myself a break over the holidays, but now I’m right back to it and doing well. You are a winner for the long term, I can feel it in my bones ❤️ We love you, @NerdyToothpick!! 

On 1/20/2019 at 9:56 PM, Jen581791 said:

NerdyToothpick, you are doing great at maintenance, particularly in the face of some challenging life events. I'd say the only real change you might consider is weighing more frequently so you don't build up a feeling of dread over it and start actively avoiding it. That might cut out some of the stress you place on yourself over your weight/health/diet/exercise. If you're doing well, as you are, you might as well know it and celebrate it!!

I totally agree with @Jen581791 here. You are doing SO GREAT, even when life is slapping you around! So don't fear the scale and let that head game weigh you down. You are rocking this!!! :wub:

BTW, I'm so glad you're back! You add such insight and humor to this forum, and both were missed. I only hope that you feel our support! :wub:

9 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

I totally agree with @Jen581791 here. You are doing SO GREAT, even when life is slapping you around! So don't fear the scale and let that head game weigh you down. You are rocking this!!! :wub:

BTW, I'm so glad you're back! You add such insight and humor to this forum, and both were missed. I only hope that you feel our support! :wub:

I miss her gifs!!!! None seems to post them anymore now that NT isn't setting the standard. 

On 1/20/2019 at 10:56 PM, Jen581791 said:

Really, WLS has been the magic bullet I've needed: it's allowed me to limit my serving sizes and helped me learn to moderate/modify my choices so the dreaded holiday season weight gain is very limited and I feel like I'm in control of getting rid of it. 

This stuck out to me. 

Between holidays and pregnancy cravings, I've been beating myself up a lot for what I've been eating. My DH had to help me put a stop to that and make me realize that there will be gains and losses and just because I accidentally have a self-induced 9 month stall, doesn't mean I am not in control afterwards again, and the gain is far more limited than it ever was before!

Thanks Nerdy, for posting what I think a lot of us go through but don't always talk about! :wub:

On 1/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, delilas said:

... Between holidays and pregnancy cravings, I've been beating myself up a lot for what I've been eating. My DH had to help me put a stop to that and make me realize that there will be gains and losses and just because I accidentally have a self-induced 9 month stall, doesn't mean I am not in control afterwards again, and the gain is far more limited than it ever was before! ...

No self-flagellation allowed.  B)

Been thinking about baby names for you... my list includes, um, BurgundyBaby, BurgundyBarb, BurgundyBill, BurgundyBeowulf, BurgundyBetty, BurgundyDelilasDottir, BurgundyDelilasSon ... you know, just the common names ... just for your consideration, you know ... -_-

How about BurgundyBubba?

14 hours ago, Boston Redhead said:

How about BurgundyBubba?

Well, that is a great name. :D (Anything with Burgundy in it is good). Allow me to point how, however, that "Bubba" is usually a nick-name and not a formal one that you put on your official documents ... and so perhaps some of my suggestions also fall short. So strike the BurgundyBill, replace it with BurgundyPrinceWilliam, etc. 

BurgundyBubba is, uh, similar to what my wife used to call me when I was devouring a rack of BBQ ribs. I blush, however, at writing the exact words she used. <_<

On 1/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Been thinking about baby names for you... my list includes, um, BurgundyBaby, BurgundyBarb, BurgundyBill, BurgundyBeowulf, BurgundyBetty, BurgundyDelilasDottir, BurgundyDelilasSon ... you know, just the common names ... just for your consideration, you know ... -_-

I like it! I'll add those to my ever growing list :D Particularly fond of BurgundyBeowulf (although it is a girl, hahaha)

On 1/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Love the name choices, where were you when I was naming my five kids???   They ended up with names like Jillian, Jordan, Lily, Logan.  and Mason....not a Burgundy in the bunch!  Darn!  (Btw, what made you pick your name?  Are you a big fan of wearing burgundy? Or a wine kind of a guy?)

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

Love the name choices, where were you when I was naming my five kids???   They ended up with names like Jillian, Jordan, Lily, Logan.  and Mason....not a Burgundy in the bunch!  Darn!  (Btw, what made you pick your name?  Are you a big fan of wearing burgundy? Or a wine kind of a guy?)

LOL CJ....have you read any of his posts!!!!!!

8 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Oh, yes, that's it... I wear Burgundy - colored clothing.  :ph34r: Never ever ever been known to sip a glass of Fermented Grapes Juice from eastern France. Or to worship Bacchus. ;) 

I regret, I rue, this choice of a name, since it suggests an hedonistic choice that may be inconsistent with best practices for losing weight. It's amazing that the Weight Loss Gods have not struck me dead for my insolence. It's probably because the Gods love Burgundy. 

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I regret, I rue, this choice of a name, since it suggests an hedonistic choice that may be inconsistent with best practices for losing weight. It's amazing that the Weight Loss Gods have not struck me dead for my insolence.

You know, you're right... it's kind of like if I had named myself DoritoKio!  :D  (Kind of has a nice ring to it, don't you think?!)

13 minutes ago, Kio said:

You know, you're right... it's kind of like if I had named myself DoritoKio!  :D  (Kind of has a nice ring to it, don't you think?!)

Oh, Kio! It's so (the former) YOU!!! :wub:

On 1/31/2019 at 7:40 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Oh, yes, that's it... I wear Burgundy - colored clothing.  :ph34r: Never ever ever been known to sip a glass of Fermented Grapes Juice from eastern France. Or to worship Bacchus. ;) 

I regret, I rue, this choice of a name, since it suggests an hedonistic choice that may be inconsistent with best practices for losing weight. It's amazing that the Weight Loss Gods have not struck me dead for my insolence. It's probably because the Gods love Burgundy. 

I asked bc the thought of it made me laugh.  We know a guy wore burgundy for literally years....we’d see him at church every Sunday and he would have a burgundy dress shirt on in the spring and fall and a burgundy sweater on in the winter.  Every week!  and the thing was he had a great job that paid him a lot so it wasn’t like he couldn’t afford anything else. My husband and i used to wonder if he had only those few shirts in his closet....or what we mostly imagined — him opening his big walk in closet and having rows and rows of burgundy hanging there!  When i first saw your name here, I immediately thought of him...haha!  Then I read your posts and could gather what you meant by it! ;)

Edited by CheeringCJ

Image result for i love you all

That's just for you, @Aussie Bear!

Edited by NerdyToothpick

7 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Image result for i love you all

That's just for you, @Aussie Bear!

Love you too NT!

Oh the return of the GIF....how I have missed your humour!!!!!