mikef

Why so few post

Why are there so few post for DS?  Not many DS patients out there?  From what I can tell is the best option out there. 

The DS is generally only recommended for the super morbidly obese and it generally comes with a higher complication rate and potential long-term nutritional issues like protein deficiencies and long-term deficiencies in a number of vitamin and minerals, i.e. iron, calcium, zinc, fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin D.  

Also, the duodenal switch is associated with more surgical, nutritional, and gastrointestinal adverse effects compared with gastric bypass or vertical sleeve.

@cinwa that’s not been what my research has shown at all.

The DS has come a long way in the last decade in the US, and while there can be long term deficiencies, it’s only if patients aren’t watchful of their food qualityno more so than the other wls.

I chose the DS because it’s said to have:

• Greatest long term weight loss potential of all bariatric procedures
  • Minimal risk of dumping syndrome
  • Excellent diabetes control
  • Less chance of ulcers

and DS patients are able to take NSAIDs.

Personally, I consulted 3 different surgeons (in different practices) in my journey and all 3 recommended the DS. The one I chose has done 100s, successfully. 

This discussion forum has been a wealth of info for me, and I’m glad to have found such supportive people. I ask that we not put down or post negative info about other wls unless it’s to voice personal experience. Everyone has to make his/her own informed decision.

Here is the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery's posting on the primary advantages and disadvantages of the various types of weight loss surgery:

https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-procedures

I totally agree that anyone considering weight loss surgery should research all of the types of surgery, and then make an informed decision in consultation with their physician.  I have never regretted my decision to have a gastric bypass.

Was watching a recent Dr V video today on regain (yeah I know he's a tosser, but I did want to eat what he was talking about regarding regain) and he happened to mention that only 1% of all WLS performed are DS surgeries. That's the likely reason their aren't many people around who've had that particular surgery to be able to post about it.

I had the DS in December at 260 lbs, 5’6 tall, 41 yrs old.  For me, I only wanted to ever do 1 bariatric surgery and I wanted the best chance to lose my comorbidities and extra weight.  I know a couple people in real life who did not do too well with RNY.  VSG did not sound drastic or long lasting enough to me.  So the DS is what I wanted at first researching and ultimately the surgery I got.  

12 hours ago, LorettaLynn said:

I had the DS in December at 260 lbs, 5’6 tall, 41 yrs old.  For me, I only wanted to ever do 1 bariatric surgery and I wanted the best chance to lose my comorbidities and extra weight.  I know a couple people in real life who did not do too well with RNY.  VSG did not sound drastic or long lasting enough to me.  So the DS is what I wanted at first researching and ultimately the surgery I got.  

Hi Loretta, looks like you are already 40 lbs down. congratulations. Can you comment on the comorbidities and how they are doing? Best wishes and thank you for posting!

On 1/14/2019 at 6:08 PM, cinwa said:

The DS is generally only recommended for the super morbidly obese and it generally comes with a higher complication rate and potential long-term nutritional issues like protein deficiencies and long-term deficiencies in a number of vitamin and minerals, i.e. iron, calcium, zinc, fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin D.  

Also, the duodenal switch is associated with more surgical, nutritional, and gastrointestinal adverse effects compared with gastric bypass or vertical sleeve.

This.

While it's tempting to look at the weight loss only, there are more things to consider when deciding what surgery to get.

You know my surgeon offered me the DS, and at that time I had already decided to do the RNY.  No way would I have done well with the vitamins and all, but he also kept bringing up the sleeve and am I glad I went ahead with it.  I don't do well with vitamins on it either but I am getting better.

40 lbs in 2 months is great but also scary I would think..  I am curious to hear how it all goes for you @LorettaLynn please keep us posted.

In February I wound up having H Pylori, not related to the DS surgery, which had me vomiting nonstop with 2 trips to the hospital before my PCP finally tested me for H Pylori.  The antibiotics to treat it were rough but I’m on the mend now.  I lived in the third world for 5 years so that’s likely where the H Pylori came from.  Due to being so sick, I’ve only started taking all the vitamins in the last 10 days.  I was taking lots of pills before surgery, so it doesn’t phase me too much.  My cholesterol and blood pressure are both testing fine now.  My out of balance lady hormones are still off, and my fatty liver remains fatty, but I suspect that once I get under 200 lbs that should all improve.  I’m very glad I had the surgery!

Glad you are on the mend and feeling better.  At the speed you are dropping weight you will be under 200 lbs  in under 4 weeks.  Hope you keep coming back and updating for future people who have the DS or are thinking of having it.  Good luck on the rest of your journey !

I just had my 90 day post op bloodwork done and an exam with my PCP.  Unfortunately I have to do another round of antibiotics for H. Pylori and my stomach is pretty upset, still.  The PCP does not believe the DS stirred up the H Pylori, but rather that the stress of any major surgery would've had the same result. 

My B12 is high, my A is low, and my D should be higher but is not low according to Quest Diagnostics. I believe my lower numbers are because I’ve thrown up so much in the last 90 days.  I am eating good when I can, takin my vitamins when I can and drinking my water.  

On the comorbidities, my HDL cholesterol now tests a little low.  Glucose was 82 and A1C was a nice 4.6.  My liver is still fatty and AST and ALT test high.  On Thursday my blood pressure was 100/70!   This month I had my first 28 day menstrual cycle in a decade!  

I wanted to get this but i've had a hard time finding a doctor in the DC area that does the 'DS'...also not sure if my insurance even covers it. So...going for the Gastric Bypass.

I am now at a svelte BMI of 26 from an original BMI of 44.  The H. Pylori and the 3 rounds of antibiotics I took for it really did a number on me and there are days when my guts are still pretty pissed off.  My labs all tested pretty good most recently.  My gastroenterologist predicted my fatty liver numbers would normalize after another 20 lbs are gone, so I am hopeful that will happen.  The DS is truly amazing.  I never would have been able to lose 117 pounds on my own through diet and exercise.  

@LorettaLynn

Eye-popping success. Congratulations! congratulations! and still more congratulations! You must feel wonderful about the weight loss. ... and with every reason to feel that way.