mikef

Why so few post

Why are there so few post for DS?  Not many DS patients out there?  From what I can tell is the best option out there. 

The DS is generally only recommended for the super morbidly obese and it generally comes with a higher complication rate and potential long-term nutritional issues like protein deficiencies and long-term deficiencies in a number of vitamin and minerals, i.e. iron, calcium, zinc, fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin D.  

Also, the duodenal switch is associated with more surgical, nutritional, and gastrointestinal adverse effects compared with gastric bypass or vertical sleeve.

@cinwa that’s not been what my research has shown at all.

The DS has come a long way in the last decade in the US, and while there can be long term deficiencies, it’s only if patients aren’t watchful of their food qualityno more so than the other wls.

I chose the DS because it’s said to have:

• Greatest long term weight loss potential of all bariatric procedures
  • Minimal risk of dumping syndrome
  • Excellent diabetes control
  • Less chance of ulcers

and DS patients are able to take NSAIDs.

Personally, I consulted 3 different surgeons (in different practices) in my journey and all 3 recommended the DS. The one I chose has done 100s, successfully. 

This discussion forum has been a wealth of info for me, and I’m glad to have found such supportive people. I ask that we not put down or post negative info about other wls unless it’s to voice personal experience. Everyone has to make his/her own informed decision.

Here is the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery's posting on the primary advantages and disadvantages of the various types of weight loss surgery:

https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-procedures

I totally agree that anyone considering weight loss surgery should research all of the types of surgery, and then make an informed decision in consultation with their physician.  I have never regretted my decision to have a gastric bypass.

Was watching a recent Dr V video today on regain (yeah I know he's a tosser, but I did want to eat what he was talking about regarding regain) and he happened to mention that only 1% of all WLS performed are DS surgeries. That's the likely reason their aren't many people around who've had that particular surgery to be able to post about it.