Hi all, I had my bypass yesterday, it all went smoothly and they say I might get to go home today. My only suffering is the trapped wind! I just can’t get it up, I was walking around at 1am and I’ve tried gripe water and peppermint tea. How long can I expect this to last? 

Bev

Hi Bev,

I can't answer re: length of time as I was lucky enough to avoid the trapped gas myself but just wanted to say congratulations and well done! 

Edited by Loosing Lucy

Walking and warm drinks (tea) worked for me.

I’m so sorry Bev I didn’t have this either but I’ve heard it can be terrible. I had my surgery a week ago today....maybe we can be buddies! Keep moving as much as you can. I know it helps me....you’ve got this, one hurdle....one day at a time. Sending wishes this goes away soon!

Welcome to the losers bench!  The gas should go away in a couple more days. Be sure to walk as much as you can, and also to drink lots of liquids. 

Although the first week or so after surgery can be s but rough, a lifetime of being more healthy, thin and active awaits you!

We are here to support you. 

Congrats!  Move as much as possible.  

How are you feeling today?    Did the gas pass?    I was fortunate not to have to deal.  With that but i had a lot of pain in my incisions (especially the one they pull the stomach through).  Anyway, every day gets easier and I am hoping youre feeling a bit better today and then tomorrow etc etc!  And welcome to the Loser’s bench!!!

Feeling much better today although I still feel windy! The only pain I have is in my left side, almost like a stitch that comes and goes with position/movement. I’m not sleeping great (always been an insomniac) as I usually sleep on my side and I’m having to sleep on my back but it’s not having too bad an effect. I don’t feel hungry at all, not once had the urge to eat so I am drinking protein shakes purely because I know I have to. I still get a little pain when water goes down, right in the center below my breast bone, it a bit like when you gulp air. I feel pretty good though considering! Lost 5lb since last sat so that’s 14.5lb since the 27th Dec... how can that not make you feel good

5 hours ago, Bev7o9 said:

Feeling much better today although I still feel windy! The only pain I have is in my left side, almost like a stitch that comes and goes with position/movement. I’m not sleeping great (always been an insomniac) as I usually sleep on my side and I’m having to sleep on my back but it’s not having too bad an effect. I don’t feel hungry at all, not once had the urge to eat so I am drinking protein shakes purely because I know I have to. I still get a little pain when water goes down, right in the center below my breast bone, it a bit like when you gulp air. I feel pretty good though considering! Lost 5lb since last sat so that’s 14.5lb since the 27th Dec... how can that not make you feel good

Agreed!  Losing weight makes you feel GREAT! :)  You’re doing awesome.  Isn’t not being hungry a wonderful thing?  It’s amazing and so relieving after a lifetime of thinking of food 24/7!

i wasn’t able to sleep in bed for the first week....I slept on the recliner and that helped.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:45 PM, Bev7o9 said:

Welcome to the loser's bench, and congrats on doing so great since surgery! So glad things are going pretty well. Take care of yourself each day. 

Don't you love the no hunger thing?! I remember wanting to shout (quoting Gone With the Wind movie), "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!" Haha! :lol: It felt SO good not to be hungry especially after Feeling starving and grumpy on the liquid diet leading up to surgery. Good on you to watch and force protein and liquids in, though. You definitely need to push both of those to stay on the healing track. Very important. 

And speaking of "Gone with the Wind".... sorry you're still windy. Haha, sorry, couldn't resist that terrible joke. All my post-op pain was wind related. For me walking around helped the most. And walking outside a little further every day showed me I was healing and helped with the wind at the same time. That may be what is making the stitch in your side as well. 

Hope every day keeps getting better! I'm sure it will! I'm so excited for your future!!!!!! 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:45 AM, Bev7o9 said:

Walking was my best friend early out - that and some gentle stretching with my arms above my head, slowly bending side-to-side really helped my wind and backache. 

Like you, I'm a side sleeper but that was impossible in the early days post-op but someone suggested trying a body pillow and that was a blessing.  In fact, I still use it to this day but now, that's because of my bony knees!  :lol:

8 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

"As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!" Haha! :lol:

Love it!! :lol: