Nana Trish

The flu....

Damn, my Harper has the flu!! Confirmed by his pediatrician just an hour ago. I have surgery scheduled in 3 weeks from today. I got my flu shot 2 weeks ago. How do I protect myself from catching it from him? His pediatrician suggested I get a script for Tamiflu. Any suggestions? I won’t be babysitting for him again until Monday. Help!!!

Tamiflu is your best bet, I think. Plus washing your hands like crazy and not touching your face. 

HAIR!!!!!!!!!!! Pink? Real or photoshop? I have ALWAYS wanted pink hair.

Just now, Jen581791 said:

Tamiflu is your best bet, I think. Plus washing your hands like crazy and not touching your face. 

HAIR!!!!!!!!!!! Pink? Real or photoshop? I have ALWAYS wanted pink hair.

Snapchat for the pink hair, @Jen581791, lmao!! I'm not brave enough to try anything like this, but my youngest daughter dyes her hair all sorts of colors! And looks great doing it! 

I will be calling my PCP in the morning to ask about the Tamiflu...I wouldn't be as worried about it if I wasn't going in for surgery in 3 weeks...Thanks!! ❤️

Plus...I don't really have a nose ring either, lol...snap chat is a blast!

Edited by Nana Trish

Sorry about your grandson.  I love that pic of you !!!

Just now, tracyringo said:

Sorry about your grandson.  I love that pic of you !!!

Thank you, @tracyringo ❤️ He's a sick little boy...puking all over the place. But he will get better! I just wish I could squish him but I can't even hold him right now :(

I love that pic too, lolol, but I'd never be brave enough to actually do any of that to myself, haha! I just thought it was cool! I like Snapchat hahaha

Loving the pink hair look Trish. I also wouldn't do it myself but I'm older than you and I often think some of the even older people than me who do it just look like old fools. Not suggesting you would, but it does concern me that I would.

I had flu just before my bypass....yikes....shouldn't have had my flu shot before because I always react. I hit the vitamin c rich "Immune" supplements.  Figured it wasn't going to do me any harm and might actually help. I did get away with it in the end but only because my pre-op checks were done before I got it.

We have the creeping crud going around the daycare where I work (strep, vomiting).  I had my flu shot in October but I take extra vitamin C when there are extra germs to be had.  I’ve been there 5 years and have never been ill.  Fingers crossed for you.  Did they move your surgery date up?  

4 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

We have the creeping crud going around the daycare where I work (strep, vomiting).  I had my flu shot in October but I take extra vitamin C when there are extra germs to be had.  I’ve been there 5 years and have never been ill.  Fingers crossed for you.  Did they move your surgery date up?  

Yes, @Cheesehead, they did move it up!! January 30th!! That’s why I’m so worried about getting sick right now. If it was still on Feb. 20th, I wouldn’t be nearly as worried. My doc prescribed Tamiflu, and said to take extra Vitamin C (airborne or emergen-c, etc). The day before Harper actually started having symptoms, I was hugging and squishing him all over his face, so I’ve been exposed, I’m sure. Not sick yet...

I’m sorry the creeping crud has invaded the daycare!! Harper has been puking too, but only after he started taking the Tamiflu. My daughter stopped giving it to him. I’m not getting him back until Monday, so hopefully by then he will be feeling better, and I won’t be sick. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you too, that no creeping crud invades you!!

20 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Loving the pink hair look Trish. I also wouldn't do it myself but I'm older than you and I often think some of the even older people than me who do it just look like old fools. Not suggesting you would, but it does concern me that I would.

I had flu just before my bypass....yikes....shouldn't have had my flu shot before because I always react. I hit the vitamin c rich "Immune" supplements.  Figured it wasn't going to do me any harm and might actually help. I did get away with it in the end but only because my pre-op checks were done before I got it.

You crack me up, @Aussie Bear :lol: It should not concern you that you would dye your hair, lolol. I might consider it actually, if I didn’t have the bad history with my hair loss...but I want to keep my new hair just where it is, and dying it is not conducive to keeping fragile hair healthy!

1 hour ago, Nana Trish said:

You crack me up, @Aussie Bear :lol: It should not concern you that you would dye your hair, lolol. I might consider it actually, if I didn’t have the bad history with my hair loss...but I want to keep my new hair just where it is, and dying it is not conducive to keeping fragile hair healthy!

Oh believe me, I dye my hair. I just don't do in bright colours! I see so many women in their 70s that dye theirs flouro pink, purple, green or blue....sometimes all four at the same time, and just wonder how they don't see it as trying too hard to hang onto their youth. Reminds me of bad botox or plastic surgery horror stories....we've all seen them!!!!!

I'm more into "aging gracefully" but at the same time covering up the grey....I know....hypocritical to say the least.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:11 AM, Aussie Bear said:

Oh believe me, I dye my hair. I just don't do in bright colours! I see so many women in their 70s that dye theirs flouro pink, purple, green or blue....sometimes all four at the same time, and just wonder how they don't see it as trying too hard to hang onto their youth. Reminds me of bad botox or plastic surgery horror stories....we've all seen them!!!!!

I'm more into "aging gracefully" but at the same time covering up the grey....I know....hypocritical to say the least.

I don’t thing aging gracefully means you can’t cover up your greys!! Lol :D I know a lot of women that age gracefully, but cover their greys. Not hypocritical at all in my book! I found my first grey hair at age 27. Prior to my WLS, I had quite a lot of grey hair. Since shaving my head though, the new, thicker hair coming back in seems predominately brown, with mainly just my small grey patch remaining in the front, near my left temple. It has never bothered me to be honest, but I say go for it if dyeing it is right for you! 

Hoping the tamiful helps.  I also take elderberry and double up on vitamins.  

@Nana Trish, how are you feeling?  No symptoms, right?  How’s Harper?

On 1/12/2019 at 7:03 PM, CheeringCJ said:

@Nana Trish, how are you feeling?  No symptoms, right?  How’s Harper?

So far, so good, @CheeringCJ!! My daughter found alternate babysitters all week last week, and I am taking my Tamiflu and extra vitamin C. The worst I’ve had is a minor sore throat. Harper is eating again, and has been fever free for a couple of days now. I will get him back in the morning tomorrow. I’ve been having awful Harper withdrawal!! I think I’ve successfully dodged catching the flu from my boy ❤️ I’m taking extra precautions with extra hand washing, not touching my face, etc. when in public. If I get sick now, somebody really doesn’t want me to have this surgery!! Thank you so much for asking my friend :) 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:12 PM, Nana Trish said:

So far, so good, @CheeringCJ!! My daughter found alternate babysitters all week last week, and I am taking my Tamiflu and extra vitamin C. The worst I’ve had is a minor sore throat. Harper is eating again, and has been fever free for a couple of days now. I will get him back in the morning tomorrow. I’ve been having awful Harper withdrawal!! I think I’ve successfully dodged catching the flu from my boy ❤️ I’m taking extra precautions with extra hand washing, not touching my face, etc. when in public. If I get sick now, somebody really doesn’t want me to have this surgery!! Thank you so much for asking my friend :)

Good to hear.  Did you enjoy your day with him? :) 

What is it that you are having surgery for?  

I’m sorry to hear that Harper has the flu. Katya and I both have the flu and are spending the morning in bed. I hope Harper feels better ASAP. 

Please dye your hair pink. Pleaaase. I don’t think of it as holding on to youth. I think of hair as decorating oneself. My neighborhood is full of quirky types and hair of all hues abound. Pink suits you!

21 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Good to hear.  Did you enjoy your day with him? :) 

What is it that you are having surgery for?  

Knee replacement surgery, @CheeringCJ...right one is being done on January 30th, and the left one 3-6 month after the right one heals. I have some free floating calcification in my right knee, golf ball sized, that broke free due to starting PT without having MRI’s done first. I can’t walk, or barely bend my right knee since December 16th, and I’m hurting bad. Can’t wait to get this surgery done!!

10 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

I’m sorry to hear that Harper has the flu. Katya and I both have the flu and are spending the morning in bed. I hope Harper feels better ASAP. 

Please dye your hair pink. Pleaaase. I don’t think of it as holding on to youth. I think of hair as decorating oneself. My neighborhood is full of quirky types and hair of all hues abound. Pink suits you!

Harper is feeling much better...thank you so much!! I stayed away as long as I possibly could, and was preventitively treated with Tamiflu, and did NOT get the flu!! I just have to make it 13 more days without getting sick, and the surgery is in my sights!!

I sure hope you and Katya get over the flu soon!! Love and hugs!!❤️❤️❤️

2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Knee replacement surgery, @CheeringCJ...right one is being done on January 30th, and the left one 3-6 month after the right one heals. I have some free floating calcification in my right knee, golf ball sized, that broke free due to starting PT without having MRI’s done first. I can’t walk, or barely bend my right knee since December 16th, and I’m hurting bad. Can’t wait to get this surgery done!!

Sorry, I must’ve missed that!  That sounds painful, you will be glad to have relief after healing!  

Btw, i keep thinking of you every time they talk about this big storm coming...Harper!

On 1/17/2019 at 10:08 PM, CheeringCJ said:

Sorry, I must’ve missed that!  That sounds painful, you will be glad to have relief after healing!  

Btw, i keep thinking of you every time they talk about this big storm coming...Harper!

Lol @CheeringCJ...this storm is named after my Harper, for sure!! The “terrific” twos are here, and the storm has perfect timing, haha!

Yes, this is extremely painful, and I can’t wait until surgery. This is torture, ugh. Stay safe through the upcoming storm, my friend! Hugs ❤️

1 hour ago, Nana Trish said:

Lol @CheeringCJ...this storm is named after my Harper, for sure!! The “terrific” twos are here, and the storm has perfect timing, haha!

Yes, this is extremely painful, and I can’t wait until surgery. This is torture, ugh. Stay safe through the upcoming storm, my friend! Hugs ❤️

Thanks....but we lucked out and pushed it all north...sorry! ;)  it was heading here all week but last night took a swing towards the north, which isn’t as good for you but great for us.  We are getting 2” of rain only...I can live w/ that.  It was supposed to be snow, then rain overnight and in the am and then a flash freeze of ice and forcasted over 1/4” of ice which brings down the trees and power lines and though we are getting the ice, it isn’t going to be a flash freeze this time, the rain is supposed to stop before the drastic temp drop so we will get ice where water is ponded but not on the lines and trees.  We totally dodged this one! YOU be careful and stay inside...no reason to go out on bad knees this weekend!

Stop making me jealous @CheeringCJ. We had a heatwave lasted, and after a weekend respite are heading into another starting tomorrow.  I'll be shutting myself in my house under the aircon probably binging on Netflix. 

7 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Stop making me jealous @CheeringCJ. We had a heatwave lasted, and after a weekend respite are heading into another starting tomorrow.  I'll be shutting myself in my house under the aircon probably binging on Netflix. 

Who is making who jealous, now, @Aussie Bear?? I will definitely take summer back! Well, ok, not the heatwaves like you get down there, but regular summer would be nice! :) You try to stay cool and I will try to stay warm!  (I suppose if I had enough money, I could have two homes, one down there and one up here and live in each one half the year and never have to deal with winter!!!). 

BTW, I guess it is safe to say that right now you’re not wearing the cozy sweater you knitted for yourself!

Edited by CheeringCJ

18 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Thanks....but we lucked out and pushed it all north...sorry! ;)  it was heading here all week but last night took a swing towards the north, which isn’t as good for you but great for us.  We are getting 2” of rain only...I can live w/ that.  It was supposed to be snow, then rain overnight and in the am and then a flash freeze of ice and forcasted over 1/4” of ice which brings down the trees and power lines and though we are getting the ice, it isn’t going to be a flash freeze this time, the rain is supposed to stop before the drastic temp drop so we will get ice where water is ponded but not on the lines and trees.  We totally dodged this one! YOU be careful and stay inside...no reason to go out on bad knees this weekend!

We have about 20” out there so far, and it’s supposed to keep snowing for a few more hours, lol. Me and my bad knees are spending the day watching Ridiculousness, lol, in my jammies and fuzzy socks...and gearing up for a long week with Harper :) His other nana is going to Florida for a couple of months, so I will have him for 4 days next week instead of 3, but I only have him two days the week after...then off for 8 weeks because of surgery.

@Nana Trish

Hi Trish, sorry not to have replied earlier, have been off the Forum as have been travelling. FWIW there is also some data that zinc lozenges can also help with viral infections. 

Glad you are getting your knee fixed. Being mobile is better than not being mobile. I had my right knee cleaned out 12-13 years ago but I still must have some garbage floating around in it, once in a while when I row in the gym I feel it... my parents used to call it mice in the knee. Sounds like you have a big muskrat or skunk in yours. :cool:

So your hair color really had me going there .... you know you could play to the need for a high protein diet that we have ... you know do your hair red, very red. Recolor your eye color so it is ... red, very red. Then add a couple of pointy sharp teeth to your smile and talk about your Transylvanian roots ... and put a mirror in the back of your photo and erase your image from the reflection. Just a thought. Maybe better for, um, late October than now... :eek: More seriously it looks great!