Jen132018

Questions galore

I had bypass surgery 1/3/19. I have had a couple of bad/depressing days because I have actually gained a few pounds since surgery. This morning was the first time the scale moved down. I’m SO thankful. Excited to be here & find this group! I’m drinking my shakes - water, tea, a little coffee each morning. I have horrible bruising and wonder if that’s normal? It’s not AT any of my little sites but on my left side and one other place. DEEP purple. I’ve taken photos. Tomorrow is day 7 and I’m eager to have some warm cereal. I’ve had no problems taking in any liquids hot, cold...all are ok for me. So did any of you have terrible  bruising? Did anyone else feel frustrated & have weight gain at first? What were the first things you took in after clear liquids? 

09A21B9B-A9B6-48CE-8650-D583DB5A5284.jpeg

Welcome to the loser's bench! So glad you joined us! There are lots of very supportive people here. 

As to your bruising, I'm afraid i can't answer because I had vertical sleeve so a different procedure. But I would call your doctor today and send this picture. They should be ready and able to tell you what is normal or not. 

As to my first foods, I remember liking the thicker soups. (But soups without solids). First was bone broth, and then butternut squash soup. (I often mixed the two together so I had a thick soup with protein.) I bought them ready made at the store. I also liked yogurt and protein shakes at this point. And sip, sip, sip the water all day long! :D

I didn't really lose alot until the second week. Try not to worry about it. IT WILL COME OFF if you stick to the plan. Just concentrate of healing, drinking, and following your doctor's recommendations to the letter. You are on your way to your new life!! :)

Oh boy did I have weight gain at first. Even though I knew that it happens because of all the fluids they pump into you and the trauma of the actual surgery....it was at my asking that the nurses weighed me. My surgeon had not once had me jump on the scales, so the reading made me loom like a liar, and I'd actually the only official weight my surgeon has!!! It isn't that he's being slack at pulling out the scales. Our initial visits weren't with a view to having WLS, and he does ask me every visit what I currently weigh. He once told me when I asked about it, that he has a pretty good idea just from looking at me, and the weight I tell him pretty much confirms what he thinks anyway.

While I never had that level of bruising after my bypass, I have seen others post similar pictures over the years. Don't forget that a lot of work is happening internally. The incisions are just where the instruments get inserted through your skin. They're doing all their actual work all over the place underneath, and it's not always in a gentle manner from what I've seen on videos anyway. The bruising will disappear with time. I certainly wouldn't be overly concerned about it, but if you need reassurance then by all means, phone the surgeon's office.

Edited by Aussie Bear

I gained 7 pounds while in the hospital.  Then I didn’t weigh for 2 weeks and it was gone.  I remember smaller bruising.  And I don’t think the blood thinners helped with that.  

I had cream soup minus the chunks, thinned Greek yogurt, thinned sugar free pudding.  At the 12 day mark I was cleared for thicker stuff- refried beans, cottage cheese, chili...

I think I gained 5 or 6 pounds after surgery...it is depressing, but it's because of the procedure and all of the fluids they pump into you during surgery!! It's not real weight gain, so don't worry :) 

Welcome to the losers bench!!

Wow I feel so much better knowing this is normal. Thanks to each of you for the kind words. I read somewhere that people think this is the easy way out of morbid obesity. How wrong! I had cream of wheat (infant portion) milked down today. I still chewed & savored each bite. 

I believe my surgeon is extremely technically talented but I got two conflicting papers with food timelines so I feel some consistency would help their patients. If I didn’t already work full time and also run an animal shelter I would offer to help them get something better going. 

Were any of you on insulin for a while after surgery and then free of it?

This is the furthest from the "easy way out" that I've ever seen...people that say different have never done this, or been in our position! 

I was on 2 different insulins prior to surgery, but with my pre op weight loss, I was off all diabetes meds before my bypass. If you stick to your plan, you will most likely be free of insulin in very short order! It's pretty amazing going from being an insulin dependent diabetic, to being completely insulin (and all diabetic meds) free!! I've been in remission for almost 2 years now, and there is nothing better ❤️

Welcome @Jen132018. The bruising is probably a little trauma and a little blood thinners, but in any case a quick call to the doc probably wouldn't be amiss, if for no other reason than to make you feel calmer about it. 

Between clear liquids and soft foods, I had a lot of sugar free pudding, thicker soups (without chunks), and yogurt. You'll move through the food stages pretty quickly, but it does seem like agony to wait for the next thing. 

There is so much variety between post-op eating schedules that I don't think it's as much of a science as an art - and not an exact one, at that. You can look for the Tufts guide here. It's a widely used one. (Usually posted by @Res Ipsa but I thought I'd be proactive instead of just shouting out to him...)

Good luck and welcome!

Edited by Jen581791