LorettaLynn

How soon to feel better?

How long after surgery did you feel your stamina was good and that you were able to participate in life again?  I had the DS on 17 Dec.  I’m supposed to go back to work on Monday.  Dreading it.  My incisions all look good now, my oral thrush is getting a bit better slowly, and I’m down from 260 on surgery day to 238 today.  

Congratz on your surgery first of all!  I went back to work in a little less than 2 weeks.  I was still tired, but it went okay.  I work a desk job so not very physically demanding.  Best of luck and get all the rest you can between now and Monday!

I was in the minority.  I had energy from the start.  Went in to do paperwork as soon as I could drive, six days out and back to work nine days out.  I’m on my feet all day without a break.  I felt great!

hoping you do ok.  Ease back into it if you can..

I was exhausted for about the first eight weeks or so. I needed a long nap every single day. After that, I slowly got more energy, but still need a nap if I work out really hard (even now at nearly 3 years post-op).   If you're able to take more time off work or ease back in by working half days, that would probably be ideal, but ideal isn't always reality. I've found staying on top of taking my vitamins makes a huge difference. I literally burst into tears the other day because I was so exhausted. I realized I'd increased my calcium intake recently, which was probably messing with my iron absorption, plus I was deficient in B-12 last time I had my labs done. A B-12 injection and a few days of drinking Floradix and being really diligent about taking my daily vitamins made me feel much better. I know you're still early out, but just try to do the best you can with your vitamins and protein because it may help with your stamina.

Congrats on being a few weeks out and on all your progress so far! :) 

It took me about 6 weeks to start feeling "normal" in terms of energy (sort of normal, not really needing naps every day anymore, and not needing to rest if walking a bit). Looking back, I was still pretty low on energy then, but was able to go about my daily business.

One thing that helped enormously was to have little snacks when my energy got low - I didn't figure this out for the first three or four months, but at that point I realized that being low on energy was my body's way of telling me I needed some calories, no surprise since post-op calorie intake is so low. With the protein heavy focus, I was also in ketosis and didn't have the glycogen stores to keep my energy up (carbs burn slowly so they keep you feeling energetic for longer, but protein burns pretty quickly). A few bites of food helped me to keep my energy up if I was tired while my caloric intake was really really low. Now my calories are higher and my carbs are enough to keep me out of ketosis, so I don't really need this, but it was certainly very helpful for the first year out.

Edited by Jen581791

My employer had a 70lb lifting requirement and as I also had a big umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as my WLS, I wasn't able to return to work for 6 weeks (which drove me nuts).