Brattykid

The Ups & Downs of New Clothes Shopping

I went on a search this weekend for a pair or two of shorts (yeah good luck in MN in the dead of winter....) and some new bras.  Well surprisingly, I did actually find some workout shorts at Walmart. I tried on the 16/18 and they were just too snug so I had to buy the 20s. That hurt my feelings big time because everything else I've been fitting in has been 16s. :( So after that disappointing experience, I tried on some XL tanks and they didn't fit either. XL/sz 18 sports bra? Forget it.  I had to get their 22!!  UGH!! I was just about in tears!  Then I ventured over to the regular bras and thought "f*it!" I'm going to see if I fit into a regular bra yet and not have to buy a $50 one from Lane Bryant!  I chose a 42DD and IT FIT!! :)  I was wearing a 46DDD, and now there was plenty of space in the cup so I wasn't sure how much I'd actually lost.  So NSV for me, I still kept quite a bit of my boobs, but I do fit into a bra that I can buy on the fly!  I don't even care that I only lost 4" so far on my chest.  I'll take the not complete loss of my boobs as a victory. :wub:

I'm glad I ended the shopping experience with that and I know that it will get better and easier to shop as I continue to lose weight. I just needed a couple things for my trip this week as I don't wish to wear just linen pants in 97 degree heat with humidity.  :wacko:

I am looking forward to all of the hiking, hydration, and protein snacking I will be doing in Thailand and even have a slightly tight swimsuit I am bringing along that will probably fit nicely toward the end of my trip! :D

Bras are an interesting clothing item I find post-op. Maybe it's just the sizing that I still find hard to come at, because I'm kinda used to the filling and emptying of the cups as my fat redistributes.  I've only dropped two sizes in bras (20B/C to 16B), yet  I've dropped 8 sizes in tops and 9 sizes in clothes. Actually having always had small boobs, mine actually look way bigger now (in a bra anyway) because my stomach is pretty flat underneath.

Oh, and clothing sizes really have no standards anymore, so try not to judge yourself over them.....unless of course they are "vanity sized"....then accidentally leave the label on for everyone to see just how small you are. :-) 

Edited by Aussie Bear

Don’t let sizes bother you.  In the same trip to Old Navy I fit an xs and an xl.  No rhyme or reason.  I wear a medium in tops and 2 or 4 in my bottoms (jeans or shorts) but for a swim top I’m a 14.  Have an awesome time!  Post pictures!

Your angst reminds me of what my mother used to say about stores' sizes. She always said that the more expensive the clothes the smaller size I would wear. She said the reason was two-fold: the cheaper stores want to save on material, so I would wear a bigger size, and the more expensive stores would try to woo me to spend more money by my being able to wear a smaller size. So don't be bummed by size anywhere! It's all a sham! You are DOING AWESOME!!!! 

First of all, @Brattykid, congrats on all your progress!! Clothes shopping will be pretty weird for quite a while. I spent a few months grabbing too large things, and then overcorrected and grabbed too small things, and just now I'm getting the hang of my new size. After a year of nearly constant shopping (can you say addiction transfer?).

That said, you have certainly lost more than 4 inches off your chest. If you look at a "sister size" chart, a 46DDD holds the same breast volume as a 42G. A 42DD holds the same breast volume as a 46C! :o So you've lost more than you thought you have. I typed up a big long thing a while ago after I did some research on bra sizing to help people find their new sizes correctly as they lose weight, and I'm linking it here. There's a lot of incorrect information sloshing around out there in the bra industry, but fortunately there are great people out there on the internet figuring out better ways to help women find better fitting bras. You'll be dropping sizes pretty quickly for a while, but when you get down to your GW, you should spend some time and effort making sure you're wearing the right size - it's a game changer. 

Have such a great time on your trip! 

Edited by Jen581791

What drives me nuts is that my bra size changes every ten pounds or so. Six years out, I still can’t seem to manage a stable weight, but am big enough that I need a bra with serious infrastructure —in other words, expensive. I’ve lost ten or twelve pounds in the last year and just bought all new bras because last year’s bras were gapping.