Adventureland

What’s your “go to” when you don’t feel like fussing with food?

Lately I’ve been cooking for one and getting really tired of making meals, or even food, for that matter. When it’s time to eat, it’s really easy to just have something like a spoonful of peanut butter and an apple, which leaves me starving an hour later because it wasn’t really a meal. Or I’ll order a pizza. Or just swing by that drive through window.

I’ve been sometimes prepping several salads at a time and stashing them in the fridge. Plain Greek yogurt plus fruit is a staple. Beyond that, I really need some ideas for healthy meals for one that require little to no effort. 

My go to lazy meal is a turkey sandwich (1slice of whole wheat bread, turkey, cheese, avocado & veggies). I always have deli meat & sliced cheese in the fridge. I also will bake chicken and keep the leftovers in the fridge to pull out and eat cold. My other easy grab & go foods are boiled eggs & string cheese. Also, little fruit cups in juice (I drain the juice out). They're the perfect portion size. And I keep granola bars and the pre packed bags of trail mix from Costco in the car. I'm always forgetting to eat until I start feeling loopy & queasy, so having snacks in the car keeps me from going through the drive through.

I always have a huge container of mixed roasted nuts that I use as snacks (2 protien powder scoops is 30g), along with extra containers of cashews, almonds and pistachios. I chop the mixed to make my own granola or use when I get around to making my own protien bars. Cheese is always in my fridge as well as fresh fruit and usually some kind of left over roast meat that I slice so it's ready to go on a small roll (nearly always some of those in my freezer). I'm also alone but when I cook I always make extra, so even a pan of stirred green veg with cashews will last me three to four meals. Variety isn't something I need these days. Often I have hard boiled eggs in my fridge as well. I tend to cook 6 at a time when I do these.

I do ham and cheese roll ups.  Apples and Greek yogurt.  And my all time lazy of lazy is rotisserie chicken.  I eat it shredded with cheese and salsa.  If I’m feeling like it I grill some onions and red peppers.  Summer it’s berries and Greek yogurt.  Dannon light and fit has tiramisu and creme brûlée that I like with my apples.  

I bought a rotisserie chicken Friday and made taquitos for the family but pulled out a couple of servings for me.  There’s an actual recipe for a pizza crust made with ground chicken, egg and cheese that my family likes.  It’s really filling though!  

I have several so if I'm hungry but feeling lazy, I can have options. Here are a few: 

1) Can of sardines with chili pepper. (Sounds gross, I know, but I've been craving this lately, so I figure I must need the fish oil or something?) Lots of protein!!

2) A whole grain cracker (like Mary's Gone Crackers brand for example) and Laughing Cow light cheese (only 30 calories per wedge)

3) I always have deli sliced turkey to roll up. Low cal and high protein. 

4) hard boiled egg and two prunes

5) 5 or 6 frozen grapes if I have a sweet tooth

6) 7 walnut halves - I make baggies of these so I have them in my purse if I'm out and about and get hungry

7) 80 calorie Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries or any other fruit

8) Muscle Milk protein drink - I can always find Muscle Milk at a convenience store. Good for keeping protein up if I'm driving long distance out of town to a jobsite. 

Hope this helps! Other than the Muscle Milk, the main strategy is to get them into the house (and your purse) and available so when you get "hangry" you have something with high protein to turn to. Good luck and let us know what works for you! :) 

I’ve been eating Jimmy Dean Egg Wiches for breakfast the past couple of weeks...microwave for 1:50, and done :)

I eat sliced turkey lunchmeat and cheese sticks on Joseph’s Lavash bread for lunch. 

Baked pork loin (one pork loin lasts me a whole week) with canned green beans or carrots work well! Very easy and you can eat some of it cold. 

Edited by Nana Trish

My "go to" easy dinner is to heat up a frozen raw chicken breast cordon blue - about 33 minutes in a 375 degree oven.  I particularly like the ones from Barber Foods (which are sold in almost every supermarket in New England), although the other brands are tasty as well.  A chicken cordon blue is just 260 calories, has 23 grams of protein, and really fills me up.  

Some good ideas in this thread. I just picked up some deli chicken and sandwich wraps, which hadn’t occurred to me before. 

On 1/7/2019 at 6:54 AM, Aussie Bear said:

I always have a huge container of mixed roasted nuts that I use as snacks (2 protien powder scoops is 30g), along with extra containers of cashews, almonds and pistachios. I chop the mixed to make my own granola or use when I get around to making my own protien bars. Cheese is always in my fridge as well as fresh fruit and usually some kind of left over roast meat that I slice so it's ready to go on a small roll (nearly always some of those in my freezer). I'm also alone but when I cook I always make extra, so even a pan of stirred green veg with cashews will last me three to four meals. Variety isn't something I need these days. Often I have hard boiled eggs in my fridge as well. I tend to cook 6 at a time when I do these.

Hey @Aussie Bear, which protein powder do you use? So many brands... where do I even start?!?

2 hours ago, SarahBMelbs said:

Hey @Aussie Bear, which protein powder do you use? So many brands... where do I even start?!?

I still have some old Nutrients Direct chocolate WPI which I'm okay with but they no longer exist. I have a natural flavoured one.....not sure of the brand but it was recommended by "Nutrition for Weightloss Surgery" Facebook site. I bought that about 12 months ago and to be honest haven't ever used it. I just use the chocolate one in my protien balls, which even then I haven't made in a while. I've had a few free samples of stuff from Cost Price Supplements but so far all have been too sweet. I do buy, and occasionally consume, Bodiez protien water. That's available either directly from their website or from Chemist Warehouse. I really don't need to supplement protien these days, and as my surgeon is very against using supplements that's a good thing because I no longer have to lie to him when he asks me if I'm still using them.

14 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

I still have some old Nutrients Direct chocolate WPI which I'm okay with but they no longer exist. I have a natural flavoured one.....not sure of the brand but it was recommended by "Nutrition for Weightloss Surgery" Facebook site. I bought that about 12 months ago and to be honest haven't ever used it. I just use the chocolate one in my protien balls, which even then I haven't made in a while. I've had a few free samples of stuff from Cost Price Supplements but so far all have been too sweet. I do buy, and occasionally consume, Bodiez protien water. That's available either directly from their website or from Chemist Warehouse. I really don't need to supplement protien these days, and as my surgeon is very against using supplements that's a good thing because I no longer have to lie to him when he asks me if I'm still using them.

Oh Aussie, a little fibbing can't be so very bad in this world...

I think one can legitimately suggest that the best protein powder is in many ways the one you will use. We have all these (dam$#nable) vegan powders at my house because my wife and I decided to buy powders that we could use and our (then vegan) son might use. They are unused. None of us like the flavors. I'm going to try a bone broth powder (meat) from a local store soon. 

@Cindy Lou Who gets my vote for a set of great suggestions! I do rollups, bags of almonds or walnuts, and have a protein milk drink around. :)

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Oh Aussie, a little fibbing can't be so very bad in this world...

@Cindy Lou Who gets my vote for a set of great suggestions! I do rollups, bags of almonds or walnuts, and have a protein milk drink around. :)

Given he's a bariatric surgeon I'd reckon he's heard a lot more outright lies than the small fibs I've told about not drinking my protien....haha!!!! Like I know I didn't cheat on my pre-op diet....or but I've followed your diet plan to the letter. Let alone the even bigger ones like I don't smoke, use illicit drugs, drink alcohol/soda/fruit juice etc!!!!

Edited by Aussie Bear